DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Which flue? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/2230-flue.html)

Jon W September 26th 03 04:50 PM

Which flue?

I'm in the process of replacing my old gas fire and need to know what type
of flue I have. Removing the existing fire revals a large olde fashioned
open fire brick hearth, on the outside the chimney stack has been removed
and replaced with a aluminium cowl . Is this just a Conventional Chimney -
Class 1 Flue or a hybrid Class 2 Pre-fabricated Flue

TIA

Jon

Ed Sirett September 26th 03 10:49 PM

Which flue?

Jon W wrote:

I'm in the process of replacing my old gas fire and need to know what type
of flue I have. Removing the existing fire revals a large olde fashioned
open fire brick hearth, on the outside the chimney stack has been removed
and replaced with a aluminium cowl . Is this just a Conventional Chimney -
Class 1 Flue or a hybrid Class 2 Pre-fabricated Flue

AIUI that's a Class I with a Alloy cowl for a terminal - whcih may or
may not be suitable for gas applinaces.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

jacob September 27th 03 12:44 PM

Which flue?

I am doing same thing. there are lots of interesting sites such as
http://www.fluesystems.com/liners/in...mney_liner.htm and others if
you google for 'flue lining' etc. Much cheaper than local suppliers
and lots of diy advice. I'm going for stainless steel with loose
vermiculite backfill as this is easiest to fit and also serviceable -
easiest to replace if ever necessary.

cheers

jacob