Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sam Sam is offline

Default Three way switch?

Hi,

Is there such a thing as a three way switch? I was thinking it would
be useful for the outside lights:
position 1 off
position 2 always on
position 3 on via pir

Does such a thing exist?

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 22:34:22 GMT someone who may be Sam
wrote this:-

Is there such a thing as a three way switch?

Yes. However you would probably need to make it out of components
and thus take responsibility for the safety of the assembly.

Having said that I have a vague recollection of seeing a switch that
had two on positions and a central off position. It was in a
catalogue or web site, I saw it in the past week, it was in the
style of normal electrical equipment and that is all I can remember
about it.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Sam
wrote
Hi,

Is there such a thing as a three way switch? I was thinking it would
be useful for the outside lights:
position 1 off
position 2 always on
position 3 on via pir

Does such a thing exist?

PIR lights often have this functionality built in.

Switch in off position = light off
Switch off to on = light in PIR mode
Switch off to on then off and back on within 30seconds = light always
on.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Posted to uk.d-i-y
CS CS is offline

Is there such a thing as a three way switch? I was thinking it would
be useful for the outside lights:
position 1 off
position 2 always on
position 3 on via pir

DPDT (Dual Pole Dual Throw) 3 position rocker switch???? 1 on centre
off 2 PIR???

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sam wrote:
Hi,

Is there such a thing as a three way switch? I was thinking it would
be useful for the outside lights:
position 1 off
position 2 always on
position 3 on via pir

Does such a thing exist?

Sorry to hijack your post, but is there a gadget that will electocute SWMBO
if the starts the bloody washing machine while I'm in the shower?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Sam wrote:
Is there such a thing as a three way switch? I was thinking it would
be useful for the outside lights:
position 1 off
position 2 always on
position 3 on via pir

Does such a thing exist?

Be easier to do it with two? An on/off and a manual/auto?

--
*Change is inevitable ... except from vending machines *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sam wrote:
Hi,

Is there such a thing as a three way switch? I was thinking it would
be useful for the outside lights:
position 1 off
position 2 always on
position 3 on via pir

Also doable with a two gang switch. One switch is off and PIR on, then
the other is off and on.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
Sam wrote:
Hi,

Is there such a thing as a three way switch? I was thinking it would
be useful for the outside lights:
position 1 off
position 2 always on
position 3 on via pir

Does such a thing exist?

Sorry to hijack your post, but is there a gadget that will electocute SWMBO
if the starts the bloody washing machine while I'm in the shower?

A combi man, eh ?

bit of a bugger, isn't it

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Sorry to hijack your post, but is there a gadget that will electocute
SWMBO if the starts the bloody washing machine while I'm in the shower?

Your fault for listening to dribble. ;-)

--
*Plagiarism saves time *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Owain writes:
Sam wrote:
Is there such a thing as a three way switch? I was thinking it would
be useful for the outside lights:
position 1 off
position 2 always on
position 3 on via pir
Does such a thing exist?

Used to be able to get a two-way centre-off, which is what you want. You
might still be able to get one in some gridswitch ranges.

Somewhere I have a gridswitch one. However, it's for the previous
generation of MK gridswitch where the switches had toggles.
I don't think it exists (or would be viable) for rocker switches.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Used to be able to get a two-way centre-off, which is what you want.
You might still be able to get one in some gridswitch ranges.

Somewhere I have a gridswitch one. However, it's for the previous
generation of MK gridswitch where the switches had toggles.
I don't think it exists (or would be viable) for rocker switches.

There are certainly miniature toggle switches with a centre off. I have
some. I've a feeling I may have normal sized rockers too. I'll look later.
Either could be fitted to a blank plate if looks aren't important.

--
*24 hours in a day ... 24 beers in a case ... coincidence? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Somewhere I have a gridswitch one. However, it's for the previous
generation of MK gridswitch where the switches had toggles.
I don't think it exists (or would be viable) for rocker switches.

I've been waiting for words of wisdom as I also would like
on/centre-off/on switches for lighting. I'd hunted around a bit last
week and wondered if the Supergrid 8000 gridswitch 8024 do? (See
http://www.memonline.com/supergrid.html) But (big but) I've not yet
got prices so it may be they are prohibitive.

May I also ask if it is possible to buy panels to fit bog-standard back
boxes to take Euro size 250VAC rocker switches (of which there seemed to
be a vast range)?

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Robin wrote:

Somewhere I have a gridswitch one. However, it's for the previous
generation of MK gridswitch where the switches had toggles.
I don't think it exists (or would be viable) for rocker switches.

I've been waiting for words of wisdom as I also would like
on/centre-off/on switches for lighting. I'd hunted around a bit last
week and wondered if the Supergrid 8000 gridswitch 8024 do? (See
http://www.memonline.com/supergrid.html) But (big but) I've not yet
got prices so it may be they are prohibitive.

Looks pretty hideous, though. Like 20 year old MK.

May I also ask if it is possible to buy panels to fit bog-standard back
boxes to take Euro size 250VAC rocker switches (of which there seemed to
be a vast range)?

Not seen them but you can of course make your own holes in blank plates.
Likely to look better since they can be bought to match your existing
ones. If metal you could almost certainly get a Q-Max type punch - at a
price.

--
*Whatever kind of look you were going for, you missed.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 14, 10:34 pm, Sam wrote:
Hi,

Is there such a thing as a three way switch? I was thinking it would
be useful for the outside lights:
position 1 off
position 2 always on
position 3 on via pir

Does such a thing exist?

TIA

Hi

MK 2 way + Off grid switch

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MKK4899.html

You will need a frame and faceplate too.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MKK3701.html
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MKK3631.html

Steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Doesn't need to be a combi. I have to wait until everyone is out (or in
bed) before risking a shower. Someone is bound to turn on a hot tap
otherwise. My shower is fed from the loft tank, stored hot water, not a
combi in sight.

My gravity shower has separate feeds to get round this problem. Surrey
flanges and all that.

--
*I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Used to be able to get a two-way centre-off, which is what you want.
You might still be able to get one in some gridswitch ranges.

Somewhere I have a gridswitch one. However, it's for the previous
generation of MK gridswitch where the switches had toggles.
I don't think it exists (or would be viable) for rocker switches.

There are certainly miniature toggle switches with a centre off. I have
some. I've a feeling I may have normal sized rockers too. I'll look later.
Either could be fitted to a blank plate if looks aren't important.

MM. need a pair of mains relays to handle any load though.

One sort of thinks that a triac/solid state solution looks more appealing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MK 2 way + Off grid switch

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MKK4899.html

v.m.t. (I must need new specs and/or brain.)

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sam Sam is offline

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 23:15:32 +0000, Alan
wrote:

PIR lights often have this functionality built in.

Switch in off position = light off
Switch off to on = light in PIR mode
Switch off to on then off and back on within 30seconds = light always
on.

Yes they do but it's not the tidiest way of doing things. I suppose we
are creatures of habit and if we want a light on we are used to
flipping a switch; not turning it on and off and on again.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
cj cj is offline

HI
Try a 20a sink/bath dual tank immersion heater switch.
Bit of overkill I know but fits a std single box.

(BTB Dave try reverse psychology ,wait while SWMBO is in shower then turn
all taps on downstairs ) NB get ready to run..

HTH

CJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 13:10:00 GMT someone who may be
wrote this:-

Doesn't need to be a combi. I have to wait until everyone is out (or in bed)
before risking a shower. Someone is bound to turn on a hot tap otherwise. My
shower is fed from the loft tank, stored hot water, not a combi in sight.

Then it was not designed and installed properly.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh