Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Knocking down a load bearing wall

We want to knock down the wall between kitchen and dining room. Today
the civil engineer man came round to inspect and give us the
dimensions for the Universal Beam. He checked in the loft and the
dividing wall is not supporting the roof - which is good. I've done
plenty of diy jobs and we have done one house restoration but not
knocking down a supporting wall.. I'd like to take on this job and
have help available to place the UB. Question is - how difficult is
it? Anybody out there done this kind of thing and can give me any tips
or advice?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Pete L" wrote in message
ups.com...
We want to knock down the wall between kitchen and dining room. Today
the civil engineer man came round to inspect and give us the
dimensions for the Universal Beam. He checked in the loft and the
dividing wall is not supporting the roof - which is good. I've done
plenty of diy jobs and we have done one house restoration but not
knocking down a supporting wall.. I'd like to take on this job and
have help available to place the UB. Question is - how difficult is
it? Anybody out there done this kind of thing and can give me any tips
or advice?

This makes it seem easy
http://www.houseprofessionals.com/di...ing_a_wall.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete L wrote:
We want to knock down the wall between kitchen and dining room. Today
the civil engineer man came round to inspect and give us the
dimensions for the Universal Beam. He checked in the loft and the
dividing wall is not supporting the roof - which is good. I've done
plenty of diy jobs and we have done one house restoration but not
knocking down a supporting wall.. I'd like to take on this job and
have help available to place the UB. Question is - how difficult is
it? Anybody out there done this kind of thing and can give me any tips
or advice?

25 years ago when we moved here I took down the wall between the lounge &
dining room. Had to put in an RSJ.

Did the calcs myself (pre internet days), got Building Control to approve.
Took a weekend to do the job.

Acro props are a must obviously. These days you can also hire Strong Boys
http://www.knighton-tools.co.uk/acat..._Supports.html

Biggest problem was cutting away the brickwork after installing the RSJ,
used a mains angle grinder/cut off saw from a local hire shop. Dust simply
unbelievable. Really. You cannot imagine it until you have done it. Panic
buy dust masks! Also try taping off all doors etc. We found dust in
unexpected areas for about 2 months afterwards.

Slight difference in floor levels when the wall was cut away, be prepared
for that.

Still there 25 years later. Well within the capacity of a DIY guy, does
need two of you at least.

5 years ago SWMBO decided a through lounge was a bad idea, so I put up a
stud partition :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Acro props are a must obviously. These days you can also hire Strong Boyshttp://www.knighton-tools.co.uk/acatalog/Masonry_Supports.html

Biggest problem was cutting away the brickwork after installing the RSJ,
used a mains angle grinder/cut off saw from a local hire shop. Dust simply
unbelievable. Really. You cannot imagine it until you have done it. Panic
buy dust masks! Also try taping off all doors etc. We found dust in
unexpected areas for about 2 months afterwards.

Slight difference in floor levels when the wall was cut away, be prepared
for that.

Still there 25 years later. Well within the capacity of a DIY guy, does
need two of you at least.

5 years ago SWMBO decided a through lounge was a bad idea, so I put up a
stud partition :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

Thanks for your advice. The sledgehammers will start swinging next
Friday. I have the UB on order. It weighs nearly 200kg but hopefully
with three of us we'll be able to slip the little blighter into place!
We have dust masks for cutting the brickwork and will be sealing all
doors.......
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Pete L wrote:
[...]

You can pull back the carpets etc and get someone to wet the walls
with a fine spray
from a hose to reduce dust. Not as messy as you think if well
directed, but be careful
with electrical cutters.
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Pete L wrote:
[...]

Job done! Dust was, let's say, interesting...... The UB was
ridiculously large but having spoken to the building inspector it's
all due to the civil engineer covering himself against litigation.
Apparently his calculation as to what size beam is required is 100%
higher than is needed. His insurance company just want to make sure
they never have to pay out!