DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Ceramic tap has become very hard to turn (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/219838-ceramic-tap-has-become-very-hard-turn.html)

Chris November 3rd 07 09:01 PM

Ceramic tap has become very hard to turn

We have two ceramic taps on the washbasin.
The hot tap turns easily - but the cold tap has become almost impossible
to turn - very stiff.
Advice please!
--
Chris

Peter Parry November 3rd 07 09:17 PM

On Sat, 3 Nov 2007 21:01:20 +0000, Chris ] wrote:

We have two ceramic taps on the washbasin.
The hot tap turns easily - but the cold tap has become almost impossible
to turn - very stiff.
Advice please!

Quite often caused by bits of grit or stone in the water. The cure
is to remove and clean the capsule. If you persist with forcing it
the disc fractures and life becomes interesting - and wet.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

Peter Parry November 3rd 07 09:19 PM

Ceramic tap has become very hard to turn

On Sat, 3 Nov 2007 21:01:20 +0000, Chris ] wrote:

but the cold tap has become almost impossible
to turn

Should have said it's usually the cold tap because bits of stone
settle to the bottom of the hot tank and don't make it to the taps.
Often happens when work has been done on the mains.
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

[email protected] November 4th 07 02:46 PM

Ceramic tap has become very hard to turn

On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 21:19:45 +0000, Peter Parry
wrote:

On Sat, 3 Nov 2007 21:01:20 +0000, Chris ] wrote:

but the cold tap has become almost impossible
to turn

Should have said it's usually the cold tap because bits of stone
settle to the bottom of the hot tank and don't make it to the taps.
Often happens when work has been done on the mains.

The instructions with Ceramic disc taps I have recently bought mention
the need for strainers/filters in the water supply .
Robert

Chris November 4th 07 08:05 PM

Ceramic tap has become very hard to turn

In article ,
lid writes
wrote:
On Sat, 3 Nov 2007 21:01:20 +0000, Chris ] wrote:

but the cold tap has become almost impossible
to turn

Should have said it's usually the cold tap because bits of stone
settle to the bottom of the hot tank and don't make it to the taps.
Often happens when work has been done on the mains.

The instructions with Ceramic disc taps I have recently bought mention
the need for strainers/filters in the water supply .

That sounds a bit over the top.
Is it better to avoid ceramics and use conventional taps?
--
Chris

Andy Champ November 5th 07 10:38 PM

Chris wrote:
We have two ceramic taps on the washbasin.
The hot tap turns easily - but the cold tap has become almost impossible
to turn - very stiff.
Advice please!

I had this on one, I stripped it and soaked in vinegar - it was just
scaled up, and has been fine since.

Andy

Chris December 30th 07 10:59 AM

Ceramic tap has become very hard to turn

In article ], Chris ]
writes
We have two ceramic taps on the washbasin.
The hot tap turns easily - but the cold tap has become almost
impossible to turn - very stiff.
Advice please!

Thanks for your replies.
I asked a retired plumber and he advised squirting with WD40.
That worked perfectly.
What an amazingly simple solution!
--
Chris