DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Cutting kitchen vent funnel covering ? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/219106-cutting-kitchen-vent-funnel-covering.html)

Mike P October 28th 07 06:27 PM

Cutting kitchen vent funnel covering ?

I will have to cut the square edged steel vent cover, where it meets
the ceiling.
I reckon I could cut slightly into the pasterboaed above to hide the
jagged edges and any imperfections ........ but ....... which is the
best method and tool to cut the steel?

Mike P

Vortex October 28th 07 06:45 PM

"Mike P" mike@askme wrote in message
I will have to cut the square edged steel vent cover, where it meets
the ceiling.
I reckon I could cut slightly into the pasterboaed above to hide the
jagged edges and any imperfections ........ but ....... which is the
best method and tool to cut the steel?

Mike P

If it's not too thick, aviation shears like: http://tinyurl.com/2se6nw

Though these seem worryingly cheap. I'm sure mine were 25 quid (no idea
what brand).

soup[_2_] October 28th 07 07:03 PM

Mike P wrote:

I reckon I could cut slightly into the pasterboaed above to hide the
jagged edges and any imperfections ........ but ....... which is the
best method and tool to cut the steel?

No personal experience but on any of the build a car/motorbike shows
they use an angle grinder with a cutting disc in. They first mark the
line and seem to cut it in one pass .

TMC October 28th 07 10:52 PM

Cutting kitchen vent funnel covering ?

"Mike P" mike@askme wrote in message
I will have to cut the square edged steel vent cover, where it meets
the ceiling.
I reckon I could cut slightly into the pasterboaed above to hide the
jagged edges and any imperfections ........ but ....... which is the
best method and tool to cut the steel?

Mike P

Depending on the size, a hacksaw, a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade, a
nibbler or an angle grinder with 3mm metal cutting disk

Tony

Lobster October 29th 07 11:51 AM

Vortex wrote:

"Mike P" mike@askme wrote in message
I will have to cut the square edged steel vent cover, where it meets
the ceiling.
I reckon I could cut slightly into the pasterboaed above to hide the
jagged edges and any imperfections ........ but ....... which is the
best method and tool to cut the steel?

Mike P

If it's not too thick, aviation shears like: http://tinyurl.com/2se6nw

I recently used a pair of tinsnips to do this job (are they the same as
aviation shears?) and TBH the result wasn't brilliant. It cut the
straight bits fine, but at the two corners it got slightly kinked, due
to the difficulty of getting the tips of the shears to cut around the
90-deg bend. I'd use a different method next time.

David