Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How old are these bricks?

I've just removed the plaster from a bricked up window and was
wondering when it might have been sealed. Can I tell from the size of
the bricks? they are 67 high by 225lon (don't know how wide)

Simon

Posted to uk.d-i-y
R R is offline

"Bitstreams" wrote in message
ps.com...
I've just removed the plaster from a bricked up window and was
wondering when it might have been sealed. Can I tell from the size of
the bricks? they are 67 high by 225lon (don't know how wide)

post a fukin pic at least !!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , R writes

"Bitstreams" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've just removed the plaster from a bricked up window and was
wondering when it might have been sealed. Can I tell from the size of
the bricks? they are 67 high by 225lon (don't know how wide)

post a

link to a

fukin pic at least !!!

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bitstreams" wrote in message
ps.com...
I've just removed the plaster from a bricked up window and was
wondering when it might have been sealed. Can I tell from the size of
the bricks? they are 67 high by 225lon (don't know how wide)

Simon

What area of the country and approx. age of building?
Nick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 Oct, 21:41, "R" wrote:
"Bitstreams" wrote in message

ps.com...

I've just removed the plaster from a bricked up window and was
wondering when it might have been sealed. Can I tell from the size of
the bricks? they are 67 high by 225lon (don't know how wide)

post a fukin pic at least !!!

Oh dear, Who did'nt get a leg over then?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
R R is offline

"Chas" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 24 Oct, 21:41, "R" wrote:
"Bitstreams" wrote in message

ps.com...

I've just removed the plaster from a bricked up window and was
wondering when it might have been sealed. Can I tell from the size of
the bricks? they are 67 high by 225lon (don't know how wide)

post a fukin pic at least !!!

Oh dear, Who did'nt get a leg over then?

You might shag bricks, but I don't.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 Oct, 22:32, "Nick"
wrote:
"Bitstreams" wrote in message

ps.com...

I've just removed the plaster from a bricked up window and was
wondering when it might have been sealed. Can I tell from the size of
the bricks? they are 67 high by 225lon (don't know how wide)

Simon

What area of the country and approx. age of building?
Nick.

We're on the Bucks/Oxon borders - the rest of the building is stone -
a bit like a cotswold stone in colour but very rough construction. Age
is anything from 1700 to 1800 we are guessing.

Very sorry not to post a picture of a brick. Assumed that size matters
more. It was only an idle question though; wouldn't want anyone to get
too distressed.

Simon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bitstreams" wrote in message
ps.com...
I've just removed the plaster from a bricked up window and was
wondering when it might have been sealed. Can I tell from the size of
the bricks? they are 67 high by 225lon (don't know how wide)

You could tell more from what sort of frog they have and from any maker's
markings on the bricks - usually inside the frog. However, you need to knock
a few out of the wall to see that. The size does not sound particularly
unusual; with mortar it would be about 3" x 9", which has been a standard
size for a very long time.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Oct, 09:08, "nightjar" cpb@insert my surname here.me.uk
wrote:
"Bitstreams" wrote in message

ps.com...

I've just removed the plaster from a bricked up window and was
wondering when it might have been sealed. Can I tell from the size of
the bricks? they are 67 high by 225lon (don't know how wide)

You could tell more from what sort of frog they have and from any maker's
markings on the bricks - usually inside the frog. However, you need to knock
a few out of the wall to see that. The size does not sound particularly
unusual; with mortar it would be about 3" x 9", which has been a standard
size for a very long time.

Colin Bignell

Thanks - I don't need another window in that room so they're staying
put. Was just curious.

Simon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
"Bitstreams" wrote in message
ps.com...

I've just removed the plaster from a bricked up window and was
wondering when it might have been sealed. Can I tell from the size of
the bricks? they are 67 high by 225lon (don't know how wide)

You could tell more from what sort of frog they have and from any maker's
markings on the bricks - usually inside the frog. However, you need to knock
a few out of the wall to see that. The size does not sound particularly
unusual; with mortar it would be about 3" x 9", which has been a standard
size for a very long time.

Colin Bignell

Thanks - I don't need another window in that room so they're staying
put. Was just curious.

Simon

There have been several size changes over the last several
hundred years, and this can be used to get at least some idea of
how old.

NT

Where to buy air bricks? dog-man UK diy 7 September 4th 06 04:21 AM
How to cut bricks? Walter R. Home Repair 6 July 13th 06 04:26 AM
What to do with these bricks? Charlie S. Home Repair 12 July 15th 05 04:10 PM
Bricks dadiOH Home Repair 13 March 16th 05 03:18 PM
Air bricks John Miller UK diy 8 October 23rd 04 12:40 AM