DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How old are these bricks? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/218656-how-old-these-bricks.html)

Bitstreams October 24th 07 10:08 PM

How old are these bricks?

I've just removed the plaster from a bricked up window and was
wondering when it might have been sealed. Can I tell from the size of
the bricks? they are 67 high by 225lon (don't know how wide)

Simon

R October 24th 07 10:41 PM

How old are these bricks?

"Bitstreams" wrote in message
ps.com...
I've just removed the plaster from a bricked up window and was
wondering when it might have been sealed. Can I tell from the size of
the bricks? they are 67 high by 225lon (don't know how wide)

post a fukin pic at least !!!

geoff October 24th 07 11:29 PM

How old are these bricks?

In message , R writes

"Bitstreams" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've just removed the plaster from a bricked up window and was
wondering when it might have been sealed. Can I tell from the size of
the bricks? they are 67 high by 225lon (don't know how wide)

post a

link to a

fukin pic at least !!!

--
geoff

Nick October 24th 07 11:32 PM

How old are these bricks?

"Bitstreams" wrote in message
ps.com...
I've just removed the plaster from a bricked up window and was
wondering when it might have been sealed. Can I tell from the size of
the bricks? they are 67 high by 225lon (don't know how wide)

Simon

What area of the country and approx. age of building?
Nick.

Chas October 24th 07 11:45 PM

How old are these bricks?

On 24 Oct, 21:41, "R" wrote:
"Bitstreams" wrote in message

ps.com...

I've just removed the plaster from a bricked up window and was
wondering when it might have been sealed. Can I tell from the size of
the bricks? they are 67 high by 225lon (don't know how wide)

post a fukin pic at least !!!

Oh dear, Who did'nt get a leg over then?

R October 25th 07 07:54 AM

How old are these bricks?

"Chas" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 24 Oct, 21:41, "R" wrote:
"Bitstreams" wrote in message

ps.com...

I've just removed the plaster from a bricked up window and was
wondering when it might have been sealed. Can I tell from the size of
the bricks? they are 67 high by 225lon (don't know how wide)

post a fukin pic at least !!!

Oh dear, Who did'nt get a leg over then?

You might shag bricks, but I don't.

Bitstreams October 25th 07 08:26 AM

How old are these bricks?

On 24 Oct, 22:32, "Nick"
wrote:
"Bitstreams" wrote in message

ps.com...

I've just removed the plaster from a bricked up window and was
wondering when it might have been sealed. Can I tell from the size of
the bricks? they are 67 high by 225lon (don't know how wide)

Simon

What area of the country and approx. age of building?
Nick.

We're on the Bucks/Oxon borders - the rest of the building is stone -
a bit like a cotswold stone in colour but very rough construction. Age
is anything from 1700 to 1800 we are guessing.

Very sorry not to post a picture of a brick. Assumed that size matters
more. It was only an idle question though; wouldn't want anyone to get
too distressed.

Simon

nightjar October 26th 07 10:08 AM

How old are these bricks?

"Bitstreams" wrote in message
ps.com...
I've just removed the plaster from a bricked up window and was
wondering when it might have been sealed. Can I tell from the size of
the bricks? they are 67 high by 225lon (don't know how wide)

You could tell more from what sort of frog they have and from any maker's
markings on the bricks - usually inside the frog. However, you need to knock
a few out of the wall to see that. The size does not sound particularly
unusual; with mortar it would be about 3" x 9", which has been a standard
size for a very long time.

Colin Bignell

Bitstreams October 26th 07 07:51 PM

How old are these bricks?

On 26 Oct, 09:08, "nightjar" cpb@insert my surname here.me.uk
wrote:
"Bitstreams" wrote in message

ps.com...

I've just removed the plaster from a bricked up window and was
wondering when it might have been sealed. Can I tell from the size of
the bricks? they are 67 high by 225lon (don't know how wide)

You could tell more from what sort of frog they have and from any maker's
markings on the bricks - usually inside the frog. However, you need to knock
a few out of the wall to see that. The size does not sound particularly
unusual; with mortar it would be about 3" x 9", which has been a standard
size for a very long time.

Colin Bignell

Thanks - I don't need another window in that room so they're staying
put. Was just curious.

Simon

[email protected] October 27th 07 01:16 AM

How old are these bricks?

wrote:
"Bitstreams" wrote in message
ps.com...

I've just removed the plaster from a bricked up window and was
wondering when it might have been sealed. Can I tell from the size of
the bricks? they are 67 high by 225lon (don't know how wide)

You could tell more from what sort of frog they have and from any maker's
markings on the bricks - usually inside the frog. However, you need to knock
a few out of the wall to see that. The size does not sound particularly
unusual; with mortar it would be about 3" x 9", which has been a standard
size for a very long time.

Colin Bignell

Thanks - I don't need another window in that room so they're staying
put. Was just curious.

Simon

There have been several size changes over the last several
hundred years, and this can be used to get at least some idea of
how old.

NT