Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dripping noise

Since we started using the central heating again a couple of weeks ago, when
the heating is on I can hear a dripping noise when sat in the lounge. The
noise appears to be coming from the ceiling, probably where central heating
pipes run. So far there is no water mark on the ceiling and I can't feel
anything damp but the dripping noise can be quite rapid at times and then
slow down for a while.

Is it likely to be a leak or could it just be expansion?

Thanks

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
Since we started using the central heating again a couple of weeks ago,
when the heating is on I can hear a dripping noise when sat in the lounge.
The noise appears to be coming from the ceiling, probably where central
heating pipes run. So far there is no water mark on the ceiling and I
can't feel anything damp but the dripping noise can be quite rapid at
times and then slow down for a while.

Is it likely to be a leak or could it just be expansion?

Thanks

John

could it be a pipe expanding - they often make a ticking like noise as they
stick/slip in a slot - does it start after the pump stars running - there
should be water in the pipe all the time so it should leak all the time not
just when the pump is running ??

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
Since we started using the central heating again a couple of weeks ago,
when the heating is on I can hear a dripping noise when sat in the lounge.
The noise appears to be coming from the ceiling, probably where central
heating pipes run. So far there is no water mark on the ceiling and I
can't feel anything damp but the dripping noise can be quite rapid at
times and then slow down for a while.

Is it likely to be a leak or could it just be expansion?

Thanks

John

That's what happens when things heat up and expand! Nothing to be concerned
about unless you notice a mark on the cieling - then get the lifeboat ready.
I have an electrically operated valve on one pipe and it bangs shut which is
quite alarming.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Don" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message
Since we started using the central heating again a couple of weeks ago,
when the heating is on I can hear a dripping noise when sat in the
lounge. The noise appears to be coming from the ceiling, probably where
central heating pipes run. So far there is no water mark on the ceiling
and I can't feel anything damp but the dripping noise can be quite rapid
at times and then slow down for a while.

Is it likely to be a leak or could it just be expansion?

Thanks

John

That's what happens when things heat up and expand! Nothing to be
concerned about unless you notice a mark on the cieling - then get the
lifeboat ready. I have an electrically operated valve on one pipe and it
bangs shut which is quite alarming.

Mine can sound like someone creeping about upstairs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 21:56:00 +0100, John wrote:

Since we started using the central heating again a couple of weeks ago, when
the heating is on I can hear a dripping noise when sat in the lounge. The
noise appears to be coming from the ceiling, probably where central heating
pipes run. So far there is no water mark on the ceiling and I can't feel
anything damp but the dripping noise can be quite rapid at times and then
slow down for a while.

Is it likely to be a leak or could it just be expansion?

Thanks

John

Just expansion otherwise it would drip all the time.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Don
writes

"John" wrote in message
Since we started using the central heating again a couple of weeks ago,
when the heating is on I can hear a dripping noise when sat in the lounge.
The noise appears to be coming from the ceiling, probably where central
heating pipes run. So far there is no water mark on the ceiling and I
can't feel anything damp but the dripping noise can be quite rapid at
times and then slow down for a while.

Is it likely to be a leak or could it just be expansion?

Thanks

John

That's what happens when things heat up and expand! Nothing to be concerned
about unless you notice a mark on the cieling -

"i" before "e" except after "c"

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message

That's what happens when things heat up and expand! Nothing to be
concerned
about unless you notice a mark on the cieling -

"i" before "e" except after "c"

What a weird comment. I suppose you had seize the moment from a great height
to give weight to that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Oct, 00:12, geoff wrote:
In message , Don
writes

"John" wrote in message
Since we started using the central heating again a couple of weeks ago,
when the heating is on I can hear a dripping noise when sat in the lounge.
The noise appears to be coming from the ceiling, probably where central
heating pipes run. So far there is no water mark on the ceiling and I
can't feel anything damp but the dripping noise can be quite rapid at
times and then slow down for a while.

Is it likely to be a leak or could it just be expansion?

Thanks

John

That's what happens when things heat up and expand! Nothing to be concerned
about unless you notice a mark on the cieling -

"i" before "e" except after "c"

--
geoff- Hide quoted text -

What a ****!! Get a life you fuken losier

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 23:19:46 +0100, Jim S wrote:

On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 21:56:00 +0100, John wrote:

Since we started using the central heating again a couple of weeks ago, when
the heating is on I can hear a dripping noise when sat in the lounge. The
noise appears to be coming from the ceiling, probably where central heating
pipes run. So far there is no water mark on the ceiling and I can't feel
anything damp but the dripping noise can be quite rapid at times and then
slow down for a while.

Is it likely to be a leak or could it just be expansion?

Thanks

John

Just expansion otherwise it would drip all the time.

Once the system has "warmed up", if the noise stops just rest assured
that you aren't losing water from the CH system.
If you have a combi boiler do you constantly lose pressure?

I have a combi, and after the heating has been off for a while the
pressure gauge does start at well down but picks up as the system
heats up. I can't see any leaks so I assume that the apparent pressure
loss is in the boiler - I'm awaiting a visit from the Heateam guy.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"geoff" wrote in message

That's what happens when things heat up and expand! Nothing to be
concerned
about unless you notice a mark on the cieling -

"i" before "e" except after "c"

What a weird comment. I suppose you had seize the moment from a great
height to give weight to that.

Well, it's something that is so ingrained that I don't see how anyone
can get it wrong, unless they are a total retard

It's such a basic rule of English

So you can **** off too, window licker

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message . com, Chas
writes
That's what happens when things heat up and expand! Nothing to be concerned
about unless you notice a mark on the cieling -

"i" before "e" except after "c"

--
geoff- Hide quoted text -

What a ****!! Get a life you fuken losier

****ing hell - this loser can't even spell loser

and chas - you may be a loser, I'm not

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 23:12:16 GMT, geoff wrote:

"i" before "e" except after "c"

Haven't we just gone through this and the exceptions to this "rule", or
was it in another group?

There ought to be far more important things in your life to worry about
than the spelling in a newsgroup.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Since we started using the central heating again a couple of weeks
ago, when
the heating is on I can hear a dripping noise when sat in the lounge. The
noise appears to be coming from the ceiling, probably where central heating
pipes run. So far there is no water mark on the ceiling and I can't feel
anything damp but the dripping noise can be quite rapid at times and then
slow down for a while.

Is it likely to be a leak or could it just be expansion?

Most likely to be expansion as others have explained.

Once pulled the place apart for a moth fluttering behind a large mirror.

The problem was that I was worried that loft tank was overflowing -
won't go into complicated reasons why I thought this might be the case
but the important lesson is that your brain interprets what you think
you fear as what you are hearing - the fact that there was no water and
the noise was intermittent did not figure as I KNEW what is was.

Of course a moth fluttering its last does not sound like an overflow and
now if I hear that noise my brain tells me it is a moth so I will miss
the overflow if it happens.

http://www.diynot.com/pages/pl/pl034.php#a1

No matter how careful the installer is, creaks seem likely at some time.
My best successes seems to have been with the saddle type of clips with
a plastic saddle that you push the pipe into. In your case you might
decide to live with it or when you can get access try something - start
with slackening off a little repeat little any screws holding metal pipe
clips. Don't fasten back the floor boards until you are sure you have
got it fixed as you are very likely to want to go back to it.

Most creaks seem to occur where there is a right angle bend and/or
restricted space.

Here in an old cottage I am pleased the mice no longer squeal with the
heat as the pipes warm up.

--
PK
Remove the xtra y from my name in the email address if replying
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"geoff" wrote in message

That's what happens when things heat up and expand! Nothing to be
concerned
about unless you notice a mark on the cieling -

"i" before "e" except after "c"

What a weird comment. I suppose you had seize the moment from a great
height to give weight to that.

Well, it's something that is so ingrained that I don't see how anyone
can get it wrong, unless they are a total retard

You are wEIrd.
May your dEIty never rEIncarnate you.

He who rEIns in hell will glue your balls with casEIn glue for that.

I bet you gome from tEIgnmouth.

It's such a basic rule of English

Yup. Seeabove.

So you can **** off too, window licker

Up yours with a ball pEIgn hammer.

Its I before E except after C, *when the sound that is heard sounds like
the sea.*

****.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Paul Kelly" wrote in message

No matter how careful the installer is, creaks seem likely at some time.

When Spouse installed our - back in the early 1980s, he drilled holes
through the joists to atke the pipes which were going the 'wtong' way. He
also tried to save a bit of work by using a length of pipe which was short
enough to make it tight.

The creaking disturbed my sleep so much that I was distressed. He lifted the
boards, added a small piece of pipe and the creaking stopped.

... Don't fasten back the floor boards until you are sure you have got it
fixed as you are very likely to want to go back to it.

Good advice.

Most creaks seem to occur where there is a right angle bend and/or
restricted space.

True.

Here in an old cottage I am pleased the mice no longer squeal with the
heat as the pipes warm up.

They learn quickly :-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Thus spake geoff ) unto the assembled multitudes:

That's what happens when things heat up and expand! Nothing to be
concerned
about unless you notice a mark on the cieling -

"i" before "e" except after "c"

What, as in "freight", "height", "weird" and "weight"?

Everyone's forgetting what's probably the most commonly used exception -
'their'.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stop it - it might just have been a bit of keyboard trouble.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message

Stop it - it might just have been a bit of keyboard trouble.

Don't tell me to stop it, I didn't point out the original solecism, just
adding to the lexicon of exceptions.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 8, 12:12 am, geoff wrote:
In message , Don
writes

"John" wrote in message
Since we started using the central heating again a couple of weeks ago,
when the heating is on I can hear a dripping noise when sat in the lounge.
The noise appears to be coming from the ceiling, probably where central
heating pipes run. So far there is no water mark on the ceiling and I
can't feel anything damp but the dripping noise can be quite rapid at
times and then slow down for a while.

Is it likely to be a leak or could it just be expansion?

Thanks

John

That's what happens when things heat up and expand! Nothing to be concerned
about unless you notice a mark on the cieling -

"i" before "e" except after "c"

Prescient veiled neighbour seizes eight heinous ancient weighty
sciences.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"RobertL" wrote in message

"i" before "e" except after "c"

Prescient veiled neighbour seizes eight heinous ancient weighty
sciences.

Did you make that up all by yourself?

Mary

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"geoff" wrote in message

That's what happens when things heat up and expand! Nothing to be
concerned
about unless you notice a mark on the cieling -

"i" before "e" except after "c"

What a weird comment. I suppose you had seize the moment from a great
height to give weight to that.

Well, it's something that is so ingrained that I don't see how anyone can
get it wrong, unless they are a total retard

You are wEIrd.
May your dEIty never rEIncarnate you.

He who rEIns in hell will glue your balls with casEIn glue for that.

I do believe you mean "reigns" but the sentiment stands )

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-10-08 12:18:19 +0100, "Bob Mannix" said:

geoff wrote:
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"geoff" wrote in message

That's what happens when things heat up and expand! Nothing to be
concerned
about unless you notice a mark on the cieling -

"i" before "e" except after "c"

What a weird comment. I suppose you had seize the moment from a great
height to give weight to that.

Well, it's something that is so ingrained that I don't see how anyone can
get it wrong, unless they are a total retard

You are wEIrd.
May your dEIty never rEIncarnate you.

He who rEIns in hell will glue your balls with casEIn glue for that.

I do believe you mean "reigns" but the sentiment stands )

No it could be what he said but might be a bit more challenging....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message et, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 23:12:16 GMT, geoff wrote:

"i" before "e" except after "c"

Haven't we just gone through this and the exceptions to this "rule", or
was it in another group?

There ought to be far more important things in your life to worry about
than the spelling in a newsgroup.

I'm in pedant mode

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes

Up yours with a ball pEIgn hammer.

Its I before E except after C, *when the sound that is heard sounds
like the sea.*

****.

I was doing it just one step at a time ...

I gave up with your spelling years ago

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

No matter how careful the installer is, creaks seem likely at some time.

When Spouse installed our - back in the early 1980s, he drilled holes
through the joists to atke the pipes which were going the 'wtong' way. He
also tried to save a bit of work by using a length of pipe which was short
enough to make it tight.

The creaking disturbed my sleep so much that I was distressed. He lifted
the boards, added a small piece of pipe and the creaking stopped.

... Don't fasten back the floor boards until you are sure you have got it
fixed as you are very likely to want to go back to it.

Good advice.

Most creaks seem to occur where there is a right angle bend and/or
restricted space.

True.

Many thanks for all the advice. The dripping sound is only noticeable when
the heating is on and I just assumed that if it was expansion it would stop
after a while but that doesn't seem to happen. I guess I can live with it
for now if I know the ceiling isn't about to fall in.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes

Up yours with a ball pEIgn hammer.

Its I before E except after C, *when the sound that is heard sounds
like the sea.*

****.

I was doing it just one step at a time ...

I gave up with your spelling years ago

My spelling is just fine. Its my typing, which with this black keyboard
with ****ing CFL lamps and too may retinopathies, and me not being a
touch typist, is all to ****.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes
geoff wrote:
In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes

Up yours with a ball pEIgn hammer.

Its I before E except after C, *when the sound that is heard sounds
like the sea.*

****.

I was doing it just one step at a time ...
I gave up with your spelling years ago

My spelling is just fine. Its my typing, which with this black keyboard
with ****ing CFL lamps and too may retinopathies, and me not being a
touch typist, is all to ****.

At the end of the day - it's what other people have to wade through and
decypher the meaning of, isn't it

As the actress said "a bad workman blames his tool"

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 8, 11:25 am, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"RobertL" wrote in message

"i" before "e" except after "c"

Prescient veiled neighbour seizes eight heinous ancient weighty
sciences.

Did you make that up all by yourself?

yes i did. sad isn't it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ups.com...
"RobertL" wrote in message

"i" before "e" except after "c"

Prescient veiled neighbour seizes eight heinous ancient weighty
sciences.

Did you make that up all by yourself?

yes i did. sad isn't it?

No, I'm impressed!

er - what does it mean?

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Thus spake Mary Fisher ) unto the assembled
multitudes:

Prescient veiled neighbour seizes eight heinous ancient weighty
sciences.

Did you make that up all by yourself?

yes i did. sad isn't it?

No, I'm impressed!

er - what does it mean?

It sounds to me like a lyric from a Yes album...

Oh. I bow to your greater experience :-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Thus spake Mary Fisher ) unto the assembled
multitudes:

It sounds to me like a lyric from a Yes album...

Oh. I bow to your greater experience :-)

"A man conceived a moment's answers to the dream.
Staying the flowers daily sensing all the themes.
As a foundation left to create the spiral aim,
A movement regained and regarded both the same,
All complete in the sight of seeds of life with you."

Sort of a bit like that...

I still don't understand it ... :-(

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
wrote in message
Thus spake Mary Fisher ) unto the assembled
multitudes:

It sounds to me like a lyric from a Yes album...
Oh. I bow to your greater experience :-)

"A man conceived a moment's answers to the dream.
Staying the flowers daily sensing all the themes.
As a foundation left to create the spiral aim,
A movement regained and regarded both the same,
All complete in the sight of seeds of life with you."

Sort of a bit like that...

I still don't understand it ... :-(

No one ever did. It was Art apparently. No one understands Art: The
secret is to pretend you do, convincingly..

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Thus spake Mary Fisher ) unto the assembled
multitudes:
"A man conceived a moment's answers to the dream.
Staying the flowers daily sensing all the themes.
As a foundation left to create the spiral aim,
A movement regained and regarded both the same,
All complete in the sight of seeds of life with you."

Sort of a bit like that...

I still don't understand it ... :-(

Ah, but you're missing the point, slightly.

But never mind, we're here to help with a dripping sound, not explore the
hidden shallows of Yes song lyrics...

Phew!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
bof bof is offline

In message , Huge
writes

One day out of genuine curiosity I asked the
proprietor what the painting was about. "Oh," he said in a rather
snobbish, dismissive tone, "you'd have to go to art school to understand
that." Ever since, I have regarded "art" like this as pretentious $h1t.

Your loss. Just because the proprietor was a ****, doesn't mean that abstract
art is rubbish. Go to the Tate Modern and spend a while looking at the Rothko
Seagram Commission. Don't think or analyse, just look.

.. . . and feel, in a non tactile sense. The Pollocks are brilliant too.

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk

New Toilet Installation - Dripping Noise Cornerman Home Repair 7 April 20th 07 03:35 AM
Dripping tap Bob UK diy 4 February 20th 06 12:07 PM
Tap dripping. Ben UK diy 9 November 29th 05 06:34 PM
Dripping tap call me VK UK diy 3 July 14th 05 02:58 PM
Dripping tap Epetruk UK diy 5 July 4th 05 10:14 PM