Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plumbing (central heating) quiz. A beer to the person who helps me figure this out successfully.

In my previous post I described how I've messed with my current CH &
HW system to make it fully pumped (S plan). I think I've messed up a
perfectly good system but it is totally undo-able. What I need to know
is from the following information would the old system have worked
successfully so I had HW only when I needed it, CH only when I needed
it, and or both. And would it have been fully pumped?

the diagram: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...f&id=544791297

this is definately how the old system was piped up. when HW only was
called the HW valve opened, the pump started running, and the boiler
fired - although the valve was knackered so this actually couldn't be
tested (the valve was set to manual open). when CH was called the CH
valve opened, the pump started running, and the boiler fired. when
both CH and HW was needed both valves opened, the pump started running
and the boiler fired. on all cases the system stopped when the
approriate thermostat(s) were satifsfied (and there is NO pump
overrun).

can you tell me how this system worked unless the valves were on the
return. i have no idea. can you also label pipes 1-3 with where they
are going/coming from. they run under the floorboards so i have no
idea.

my theory is the valves are on the return. pipe 1 comes from the rads
(pipe 1 definately heats up with the CH but the rads seem to be hotter
than this pipe, suggesting a return?). pipe 2 goes back to the boiler
(pumped for both HW and CH) and pipe 3 is the flow to the HW tank, to
the coil and then to the HW valve (also the expansion tank).
underneath the floorboard i think is a T piece which splits the water
from the boiler between the HW tank and rads and can only flow if the
valves on the return are open. is this feasible? any other ideas?

Cheers,
Paul.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

What you've got (or had?) is a fairly conventional S-Plan fully pumped
system - except that it seems to be arse about face!

Let's assume for a moment that we turn the pump round, so that the flow is
upwards. Pipe 2 is then the combined HW + CH flow pipe from the boiler.
After going through the pump, the water splits into 2 circuits. The HW
circuit goes through the HW valve to the coil in the cylinder, out again and
back down pipe 3 to the boiler. The CH circuit goes through the CH valve and
then along pipe 1 to the radiators - and the radiator returns presumably
combine somewhere and then connect into pipe 3 to go back to the boiler.

With the flow through the pump going downwards, everthing works exactly the
same - except that circulation is in the opposite direction, with flows and
returns being interchanged. That may have been done deliberately, to prevent
the F&E tank from pumping over. Conventionally (with the pump going in the
normal direction), the connections to the F&E tank should be in the main
flow pipe (2) just before the pump.

I haven't a clue what the 15mm pipe is which appears to by-pass the pump!

The pipe labelled 'domestic HW feed?' is the cold feed into the DHW tank
from the large header tank in the attic. When you open a hot tap, cold water
flows into the bottom of the cylinder expelling hot water out of the top
connection (labelled 'domestic HW out?') and on to the taps.

What you had - albeit somewhat unconventional - should have worked. Why did
you change it?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Oct, 11:58, "Roger Mills" wrote:

[...]

PLEASE REPLY TO NEWSGROUP!- Hide quoted text -

sorry Roger, I've also just noticed that I keep replying to you alone
and not to the group. many apologies....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Try to make sure that you copy them to the group, for all to see - some have
been already. [I hadn't actually seen the private replies 'cos - like it
says in my signature - I don't monitor the googlemail address very often!]
--
Cheers,
Roger

New Central Heating / Plumbing / Windows - the lot! NoviceButWilling UK diy 23 May 12th 06 03:12 PM
Plumbing my central heating? andymason79 UK diy 10 November 9th 05 08:56 PM
central vac plumbing habbi Home Repair 4 February 27th 05 03:11 PM
Alternatives to gas for central heating and domestic water heating? Jimmy UK diy 55 January 16th 05 12:49 PM
Central Heating Question - Heating Loop Murdo MacKenzie UK diy 2 May 17th 04 02:42 PM