Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Concrete, weight/cubic metres?

Possibly a stupid question, but how many 25kg bags of ballast (with a 5:1
mix) would it take to make 1 cubic metre of concrete?

I really have no idea how to work this out myself.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
.uk...
Possibly a stupid question, but how many 25kg bags of ballast (with a 5:1
mix) would it take to make 1 cubic metre of concrete?

I really have no idea how to work this out myself.

Adam

A little appreciated property of the Google search engine is it's ability to
answer 'plain language' queries: I typed the search string "How many 25Kg
bags of ballast to make I cubic metre?" and in 0.69 seconds it responded by
pointing to a Community Forum discussion about shed bases.
http://www.screwfix.com/talk/thread....=9122&tstart=0

HTH

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message k
from "ARWadsworth" contains these words:

Possibly a stupid question, but how many 25kg bags of ballast (with a 5:1
mix) would it take to make 1 cubic metre of concrete?

I really have no idea how to work this out myself.

A lot. You really need to think about buying in bulk.

Figures I have are for a cubic yard but I am sure you will be able to
work out the fiddle factor without any help from me. Tons and Tonnes are
almost interchangeable.

@ 5:1 1.446 tons all-in mix and 0.231 tons of cement.

If you want to go down the equivalent 1:2:4 route that would require
0.513 tons of sand and 0.933 tons of gravel for the same amount of
cement.

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Sharrock" wrote in message

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
.uk...
Possibly a stupid question, but how many 25kg bags of ballast (with a 5:1
mix) would it take to make 1 cubic metre of concrete?

I really have no idea how to work this out myself.

Adam

A little appreciated property of the Google search engine is it's ability
to answer 'plain language' queries: I typed the search string "How many
25Kg bags of ballast to make I cubic metre?" and in 0.69 seconds it
responded by pointing to a Community Forum discussion about shed bases.
http://www.screwfix.com/talk/thread....=9122&tstart=0

HTH

I have used Google as a calulator and a thesaurus before. I did not know
about that search option.

My search for cubic metres etc was crap. Cheers for that info.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
.uk...
Possibly a stupid question, but how many 25kg bags of ballast (with a 5:1
mix) would it take to make 1 cubic metre of concrete?

I really have no idea how to work this out myself.

Adam

The density of concrete varies but is generally taken to be approximately
2400 kg per cubic metre (2.4 tonnes). If you're using a 5:1 mix then divide
2400 by 6 units and multiply by five to calculate the mass of ballast
required for a cubic metre.

2400/6 = 400
400*5 = 2000kgs.

Therefore the number of 25kgs bags required would be 2000/25 = 80. I have
ignored the mass of the water to be added plus the moisture already present
in the ballast for simplicity.

I assume you're using 1 cubic metre as a unit volume otherwise you will need
to order in bulk as the man said.

AT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger" wrote in message
k...
The message k
from "ARWadsworth" contains these words:

Possibly a stupid question, but how many 25kg bags of ballast (with a 5:1
mix) would it take to make 1 cubic metre of concrete?

I really have no idea how to work this out myself.

A lot. You really need to think about buying in bulk.

Figures I have are for a cubic yard but I am sure you will be able to
work out the fiddle factor without any help from me. Tons and Tonnes are
almost interchangeable.

@ 5:1 1.446 tons all-in mix and 0.231 tons of cement.

If you want to go down the equivalent 1:2:4 route that would require
0.513 tons of sand and 0.933 tons of gravel for the same amount of
cement.

--
Roger Chapman

Thank you Roger.

I will not be mixing a cubic metre in one go! I now have an idea how much
ballast is needed for the smaller jobs I need to do. It will be bulk buying
as it is much cheaper (30% cheaper)

Cheers

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

Possibly a stupid question, but how many 25kg bags of ballast (with a
5:1 mix) would it take to make 1 cubic metre of concrete?

I really have no idea how to work this out myself.

Pick your mix from the tables he

http://www.pavingexpert.com/concmix1.html

--
Cheers,