Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lighten Dark Wood.

I have a large (30sq metre) old (1970) pine ceiling. I'd like to
retain the wood, but it is too dark. Is there any treatment that
might do it, before I give in and get the paint out?

I tried belt sanding, but I'm not man enough for the job.

R.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 15:23:07 +0100, TheOldFellow
wrote:

I have a large (30sq metre) old (1970) pine ceiling. I'd like to
retain the wood, but it is too dark. Is there any treatment that
might do it, before I give in and get the paint out?

I tried belt sanding, but I'm not man enough for the job.

R.

I'd imagine belt sanding a floor to be hard graft but doing a ceiling
upside down...???

Why is it dark..Is it just the natural darkening of age ? .

Would it not be easier ( albeit more expensive ) taking it down and
putting a new one up .

Does it need to be pine .Is that not a bit dated . I had a pine
ceiling in my bathroom coupled with pine cladding on the walls and one
day just decided it HAD to go as it was so dark I felt .
I ripped ( literally) it out and p/boarded the walls and dropped the
ceiling using P/board and coving and painted it white with the
skirting/surround/door coloured and put in new lights ( along with a
new bath/shower screen/tiles ) then got the floor sanded and coated .
..Best thing I ever did .

Stuart .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheOldFellow" wrote in message
I have a large (30sq metre) old (1970) pine ceiling. I'd like to
retain the wood, but it is too dark. Is there any treatment that
might do it, before I give in and get the paint out?

I tried belt sanding, but I'm not man enough for the job.

R.

Try bleaching a bit of it in an obscure place...with bleach of course. :-P

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheOldFellow wrote:
I have a large (30sq metre) old (1970) pine ceiling. I'd like to
retain the wood, but it is too dark. Is there any treatment that
might do it, before I give in and get the paint out?

I tried belt sanding, but I'm not man enough for the job.

R.

If it was originally varnished, forget lightening it. If not, 2 part
woodworking bleach is usually effective. You would need to take it down
to do it safely though. I'd go for the paint
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheOldFellow wrote:

I have a large (30sq metre) old (1970) pine ceiling. I'd like to
retain the wood, but it is too dark. Is there any treatment that
might do it, before I give in and get the paint out?

I tried belt sanding, but I'm not man enough for the job.

R.

another option is to brush white emulsion on and imediately wipe it
off. You get a whitish result with all the grain visible. Looks good
with pine.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have a large (30sq metre) old (1970) pine ceiling. I'd like to
retain the wood, but it is too dark. Is there any treatment that
might do it, before I give in and get the paint out?

I tried belt sanding, but I'm not man enough for the job.

R.

I've seen today on the TV some ad for some 4 in 1 stuff from JML or
suchlike that claims to clean, darken, lighten, remove marks, I think
it claimed to do the ironing too though so maybe it's wildly
optimistic.
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have a large (30sq metre) old (1970) pine ceiling. I'd like to
retain the wood, but it is too dark. Is there any treatment that
might do it, before I give in and get the paint out?

I tried belt sanding, but I'm not man enough for the job.

R.

I've seen today on the TV some ad for some 4 in 1 stuff from JML or
suchlike that claims to clean, darken, lighten, remove marks, I think
it claimed to do the ironing too though so maybe it's wildly
optimistic.

My wife wants me to find out more about this....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have a large (30sq metre) old (1970) pine ceiling. I'd like to
retain the wood, but it is too dark. Is there any treatment that
might do it, before I give in and get the paint out?

I tried belt sanding, but I'm not man enough for the job.

R.

I've seen today on the TV some ad for some 4 in 1 stuff from JML or
suchlike that claims to clean, darken, lighten, remove marks, I think
it claimed to do the ironing too though so maybe it's wildly
optimistic.

My wife wants me to find out more about this....

http://www.jmldirect.com/Wood-Renovator-PW1130/
Wood renovator is the ultimate 4-in-1 solution for wood, it cleans,
fully restores, revives the original colour and provides a lasting
shine

Think thats the ad on there.
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have a large (30sq metre) old (1970) pine ceiling. I'd like to
retain the wood, but it is too dark. Is there any treatment that
might do it, before I give in and get the paint out?

I tried belt sanding, but I'm not man enough for the job.

R.

I've seen today on the TV some ad for some 4 in 1 stuff from JML or
suchlike that claims to clean, darken, lighten, remove marks, I think
it claimed to do the ironing too though so maybe it's wildly
optimistic.

My wife wants me to find out more about this....

http://www.jmldirect.com/Wood-Renovator-PW1130/
Wood renovator is the ultimate 4-in-1 solution for wood, it cleans,
fully restores, revives the original colour and provides a lasting
shine

Think thats the ad on there.

Nothing about doing the ironing though....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , TheOldFellow
writes
I have a large (30sq metre) old (1970) pine ceiling. I'd like to
retain the wood, but it is too dark. Is there any treatment that
might do it, before I give in and get the paint out?

I tried belt sanding, but I'm not man enough for the job.

R.

I think "Salicylic acid" might do what you need... but this is a grainy
memory from a 'boat man' talking about cleaning up old/darkened wood.

Do your own research though, as I say, it is just a distant memory :-)

Hth
Someone

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
somebody wrote:
I think "Salicylic acid" might do what you need... but this is a
grainy memory from a 'boat man' talking about cleaning up old/darkened
wood.

IIRC that's what's used for eating verrucae off feet...

Owain

I've never known any acid have a beneficial effect on any wood
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:
Owain wrote:
somebody wrote:
I think "Salicylic acid" might do what you need... but this is a
grainy memory from a 'boat man' talking about cleaning up
old/darkened wood.

IIRC that's what's used for eating verrucae off feet...

Owain

I've never known any acid have a beneficial effect on any wood

Oh I don't know..surely tannic acid is what keeps oak oaky?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
Owain wrote:
somebody wrote:
I think "Salicylic acid" might do what you need... but this is a
grainy memory from a 'boat man' talking about cleaning up
old/darkened wood.

IIRC that's what's used for eating verrucae off feet...

Owain

I've never known any acid have a beneficial effect on any wood

Oh I don't know..surely tannic acid is what keeps oak oaky?

You can make a nice black ink from oak apples and iron. Why they seem to
have more tannin than the tree itself I can't imagine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 07:56:31 +0100, TheOldFellow
wrote:

I've seen today on the TV some ad for some 4 in 1 stuff from JML or
suchlike that claims to clean, darken, lighten, remove marks, I think
it claimed to do the ironing too though so maybe it's wildly
optimistic.

My wife wants me to find out more about this....

http://www.jmldirect.com/Wood-Renovator-PW1130/
Wood renovator is the ultimate 4-in-1 solution for wood, it cleans,
fully restores, revives the original colour and provides a lasting
shine

Think thats the ad on there.

Nothing about doing the ironing though....

Have they cut that bit out? ;-)
Have you seen that inflating shirt ironer? She might like one of those
instead.
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free

How to lighten wood [email protected] Woodworking 7 August 14th 07 12:51 AM
Dark Pressure Treated wood George Woodworking 0 March 22nd 06 06:51 PM
Layout on Dark Wood? Art Greenberg Woodworking 13 February 28th 06 05:05 PM
Dark wood??????? TrailRat Woodworking 8 May 3rd 05 02:55 AM
Dark Water stains on wood andrewpreece UK diy 3 October 30th 04 12:13 PM