Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cleaning burnt copper wire

I've got some burnt copper cable for scrap and want to get a good
price for it.
I've been cleaning it with water from a hose while it's still hot and
tried battery acid on it too. It finishes up clean, with that dull
pinkish copper colour, but lots of the stuff I see at the scrap yard
is bright and shiney. How do other sellers get it so clean and bright.
Any ideas or am I being too fussy?

AL

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 15:47:36 -0700, Al M
wrote:

I've got some burnt copper cable for scrap and want to get a good
price for it.
I've been cleaning it with water from a hose while it's still hot and
tried battery acid on it too. It finishes up clean, with that dull
pinkish copper colour, but lots of the stuff I see at the scrap yard
is bright and shiney. How do other sellers get it so clean and bright.
Any ideas or am I being too fussy?

AL

That reminds me I have an old HWC lying around and some copper pipe
pieces .
How much do they buy copper for now ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart B wrote:

That reminds me I have an old HWC lying around and some copper pipe
pieces .

Hmmm... How much copper wire is used in the field coils around the yoke
of the average CRT television set?

How much do they buy copper for now ?

http://www.letsrecycle.com/prices/metalsPrices.jsp
Non-ferrous scrap metal prices: £ per tonne on 11 Sept 2007
dry bright wire £3200
heavy copper £2800
No 2 copper wire £2500
braziery copper £2300
insulated copper cable 45% £900

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Al M wrote:

I've got some burnt copper cable for scrap and want to get a good
price for it.
I've been cleaning it with water from a hose while it's still hot and
tried battery acid on it too. It finishes up clean, with that dull
pinkish copper colour, but lots of the stuff I see at the scrap yard
is bright and shiney. How do other sellers get it so clean and bright.
Any ideas or am I being too fussy?

When it is bright and shiny, it probably hasnt been burnt, but cut
out.Time consuming, but the copper is in perfect condition when done
that way.
Alan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article om, Al M
scribeth thus
I've got some burnt copper cable for scrap and want to get a good
price for it.
I've been cleaning it with water from a hose while it's still hot and
tried battery acid on it too. It finishes up clean, with that dull
pinkish copper colour, but lots of the stuff I see at the scrap yard
is bright and shiney. How do other sellers get it so clean and bright.
Any ideas or am I being too fussy?

AL

No what you see there has been more likely than not been nicked!.

Let them have it in its raw state.....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Al M wrote:
I've got some burnt copper cable for scrap and want to get a good
price for it.
I've been cleaning it with water from a hose while it's still hot and
tried battery acid on it too. It finishes up clean, with that dull
pinkish copper colour, but lots of the stuff I see at the scrap yard
is bright and shiney. How do other sellers get it so clean and bright.
Any ideas or am I being too fussy?

The local refuse collection chappies do not burn the insulation off,
what they do is use a knife to remove the first foot or so of insulation
then tie/wrap the (bared) end to the steering wheel of their vans then
they pull the wire out of its insulation sheath . They then sell the
copper thus liberated. Along with the money made from cans and other
bits of scrap they (well certain of them) have no need of wages

--
'S rioghal mo dhream
Ciamar a tha sibh