DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   B*****y electricians (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/214048-b%2A%2A%2A%2A%2Ay-electricians.html)

robgraham September 11th 07 03:20 PM

B*****y electricians

I helping my sin-in-law to refurbish a flat. The kitchen has a number
of wall mounted spotlights we want to replace BUT the (expletive)
electrician who wired them in 20 or so years ago I reckon, cut off the
earth wire in the t & e and then buried it back into the plaster -
with cement as my now suffering chisel discovered !

Will we be able to get wall mounted spots that are double insulated ?
Alternatively if I dig far enough I might be able to get the earth
path restored if I use a choc block connector - is this acceptable?

Thanks

Rob

John Rumm September 11th 07 05:06 PM

B*****y electricians

robgraham wrote:

Will we be able to get wall mounted spots that are double insulated ?
Alternatively if I dig far enough I might be able to get the earth
path restored if I use a choc block connector - is this acceptable?

Not if the connection needs burying in plaster again.

Excavate your way back a bit, then crimp and heatshrink a new bit of
cable on. You can then plaster that in safely.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...Cable_crimping

--
Cheers,

John.

Dave Plowman (News) September 11th 07 08:10 PM

B*****y electricians

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Will we be able to get wall mounted spots that are double insulated ?
Alternatively if I dig far enough I might be able to get the earth
path restored if I use a choc block connector - is this acceptable?

Not if the connection needs burying in plaster again.

Excavate your way back a bit, then crimp and heatshrink a new bit of
cable on. You can then plaster that in safely.

But also check the earth is connected at 'the other end'. I wouldn't bet
on it.

--
*A conscience is what hurts when all your other parts feel so good *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

robgraham September 12th 07 12:16 AM

B*****y electricians

On 11 Sep, 20:10, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
John Rumm wrote:

Will we be able to get wall mounted spots that are double insulated ?
Alternatively if I dig far enough I might be able to get the earth
path restored if I use a choc block connector - is this acceptable?

Not if the connection needs burying in plaster again.
Excavate your way back a bit, then crimp and heatshrink a new bit of
cable on. You can then plaster that in safely.

But also check the earth is connected at 'the other end'. I wouldn't bet
on it.

--
*A conscience is what hurts when all your other parts feel so good *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Thanks guys - I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist at the other end
either ! I see I'm not the only one moaning about tradesmen !

Rob

[email protected] September 12th 07 01:27 AM

B*****y electricians

robgraham wrote:

I helping my sin-in-law to refurbish a flat. The kitchen has a number
of wall mounted spotlights we want to replace BUT the (expletive)
electrician who wired them in 20 or so years ago I reckon, cut off the
earth wire in the t & e and then buried it back into the plaster -
with cement as my now suffering chisel discovered !

Will we be able to get wall mounted spots that are double insulated ?
Alternatively if I dig far enough I might be able to get the earth
path restored if I use a choc block connector - is this acceptable?

Thanks

Rob

double insulated lights are common now. Screwfix does basic R80
spotlights for a couple of squid.

NT

[email protected] September 12th 07 10:39 AM

B*****y electricians

On Sep 11, 3:20 pm, robgraham wrote:
I helping my sin-in-law

Is that a euphemism for unmarried daughters partner?

MBQ