DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Other mans junk is another... (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/213421-other-mans-junk-another.html)

the_constructor September 7th 07 07:23 PM

Other mans junk is another...

"tim....." wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
k...
mans ect

Just saved a fire surround out of a local skip,its a replica of georgian
style surround its made of thick fiberglass but is in very good
condition.

Why do people throw out some good decent stuff?

That's my sister.

She throws everything out ASAP. Often she has
to go and buy a new one some months later.

(And she wonders why her bank account is empty)

tim

I joined Freecycle a couple of months ago and all the items that I had and
never used have gone to people who can use them. I, on the other hand, have
received a few things that I did need.
--
the_constructor

Don't tip it, recycle it. Join your local group.

http://freecycle.org/display.php?reg...ited%20Kingdom

Anna Kettle September 7th 07 07:37 PM

Other mans junk is another...

On Fri, 7 Sep 2007 09:41:15 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Doki" wrote in message
.. .

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message

That newel post still sits in my cellar, a nice piece of workmanship,
that so far I have shown to two sets of 'new owners' of next door!

I think you just answered the question - sort of! It's not being a newel
post anymore, it's just taking up space in your cellar and you don't need
it. I always try and shift stuff to people who want it but, at the end of
the day, if no-one wants it, you have to chuck it out before you drown in
stuff that remains unused for decades.

It is being a newel post. Just a spare newel post...

Indeed. You never know when one will fail.

Mary

Love that

Anna

Mary Fisher September 7th 07 07:59 PM

Other mans junk is another...

"Lobster" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"terry" wrote in message
ups.com...

Yes our society, this one getting a little mor affluent in recent
years, now throws away stuff that we would have recycled by keeping
and reusing it no more than 30 years ago! We used to fix our shoes;
remember that?

We still do :-)

Heh! Recently on holiday the sole of one of my rubber sandals split
apart; as nothing had broken as such, just become unstuck, I bought a tube
of glue at the local supermarket, which looked like a foreigh equivalent
of Evostik, and stated "suitable for shoe repairs" on the label.

Repair was readily completed. We all traipsed down to the beach, me in my
newly-repaired sandals. Unfortunately it rapidly became obvious that the
adhesive was water-soluble, since as soon as they got damp, white foam
started emerging from the sides. It looked as if someone had sprayed my
foot with shaving foam, or that a rather large seagull had crapped on it.

LOL! You should have used staples!

This persisted on a daily basis for the rest of the holidays until the
remainder of the glue finally gave way and I binned the shoes... Have to
say, I'm afraid the only reason I kept wearing them was to bait my kids,
who needless to say were utterly mortified at being seen out with their
loopy Dad and his foaming shoe.

Oh kids - don't take any notice of them. They don't take any notice of you!

I've probably scarred them for life.

With any luck.

Mary

David

Mary Fisher September 7th 07 08:00 PM

Other mans junk is another...

"Anna Kettle" wrote in message
On Fri, 7 Sep 2007 09:41:15 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Doki" wrote in message
. ..

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message

That newel post still sits in my cellar, a nice piece of workmanship,
that so far I have shown to two sets of 'new owners' of next door!

I think you just answered the question - sort of! It's not being a
newel
post anymore, it's just taking up space in your cellar and you don't
need
it. I always try and shift stuff to people who want it but, at the end
of
the day, if no-one wants it, you have to chuck it out before you drown
in
stuff that remains unused for decades.

It is being a newel post. Just a spare newel post...

Indeed. You never know when one will fail.

Mary

Love that

Anna

!

I've said something Anna Kettle loves :-)

pride

And I'm serious!

Mary

[email protected] September 7th 07 10:21 PM

Other mans junk is another...

Stephen Howard wrote:

Flood damage is a tricky one - it's not just a case of things getting
wet...it's more about what was in the flood water. Not a big problem,
I suspect, for items that can be hosed down/bleached etc. - but soft
goods and electricals will probably be a no-no.

Regards,

This popular myth kept me in free electrical gear many years ago.
Now water washing is standard practice in the industry.

NT

Stephen Howard September 10th 07 10:07 AM

Other mans junk is another...

On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 14:21:52 -0700, wrote:
Stephen Howard wrote:

Flood damage is a tricky one - it's not just a case of things getting
wet...it's more about what was in the flood water. Not a big problem,
I suspect, for items that can be hosed down/bleached etc. - but soft
goods and electricals will probably be a no-no.

Regards,

This popular myth kept me in free electrical gear many years ago.
Now water washing is standard practice in the industry.

I'm thinking more in terms of what's contained in the water ( soft
goods ) and whether the item was under power when the water hit (
electricals ).
I've washed PC items before now, with no problems.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Andrew Mawson September 10th 07 10:14 AM

Other mans junk is another...

Stephen Howard wrote:

Flood damage is a tricky one - it's not just a case of things

getting
wet...it's more about what was in the flood water. Not a big

problem,
I suspect, for items that can be hosed down/bleached etc. - but

soft
goods and electricals will probably be a no-no.

Regards,

This popular myth kept me in free electrical gear many years ago.
Now water washing is standard practice in the industry.

I'm thinking more in terms of what's contained in the water ( soft
goods ) and whether the item was under power when the water hit (
electricals ).
I've washed PC items before now, with no problems.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk

We used to put some PC & monitor keyboards through a dishwasher when
they came in faulty years back when I was in IT - they came up a
treat! Amazingly something like 75% of faults were cured. We took them
out before the 'hot element drying' part of the cycle as it would
distort the cases, and then we left them in a warm place for several
days to thoroughly dry before testing them.

AWEM

Stephen Howard September 10th 07 10:41 AM

Other mans junk is another...

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 10:14:06 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

I'm thinking more in terms of what's contained in the water ( soft
goods ) and whether the item was under power when the water hit (
electricals ).
I've washed PC items before now, with no problems.

We used to put some PC & monitor keyboards through a dishwasher when
they came in faulty years back when I was in IT - they came up a
treat! Amazingly something like 75% of faults were cured. We took them
out before the 'hot element drying' part of the cycle as it would
distort the cases, and then we left them in a warm place for several
days to thoroughly dry before testing them.

Same here, though in some cases it made things worse...probably due to
too many baccy strands being caught in the pad matrix.
The technique works well for motherboards and cards though - I managed
to rescue a decent P4 board that had been covered in engine oil.
The trick is not to tell the missus what you're putting in the
dishwasher....

My son's MP3 player went through a wash and tumble-dry cycle recently,
to no ill effect. I even think it made the sound cleaner....

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Mary Fisher September 10th 07 10:46 AM

Other mans junk is another...

"Stephen Howard" wrote in message

My son's MP3 player went through a wash and tumble-dry cycle recently,
to no ill effect. I even think it made the sound cleaner....

:-)

John Rumm September 21st 07 03:52 AM

Other mans junk is another...

Lobster wrote:

I've probably scarred them for life.

You can hope... seems fair after all! ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.