Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fluorescent bulb flicks when switched OFF.

Hi;

I've got a three-bulb light in my bedroom. It's one of those which is
attached to the ceiling; and takes three small 40watt bulbs (bayonet
fit). About a year ago, one of them blew, and I replaced it with a
fluorescent bulb of equivalent strength. Then a few months agoa second
bulb went - again, replaced it with a fluorescent. A couple of weeks
ago the third bulb went, and I haven't replaced it yet; but I have
noticed that for about half an hour after we switch the light out, one
of the blulbs flickers, every 5-10 seconds. Not enough that it comes
on; it just looks like a dim flash - one flash each time. A few times
I've woken up at three or four in the morning, and noticed it's
stopped.

No dimmer switches; nothing fancy. Just two light switches, either of
which will turn the light on or off. It seems perfectly normal when
it's switched on. The wiring is quite old, and there's no earth wire;
but I wasn't blowing bulbs every few weeks or anything, I've no reason
to suspect the wiring, other than I can't really imagine what else can
be causing this.

Can anyone offer advice?

Thanks;

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

This has been discussed here several times.
Are they Philips CFLs? Basically they are not too well designed
and the capacitance of the live and switch-wire is enough to make
them flicker.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

This has been discussed here several times.

Blow! I searched with google, but obviously not specifically enough.
Sorry!

Are they Philips CFLs?

Yes, they are. I bought Philips rather than the el-cheapo option
becaus I thought they'd be better designed. That'll learn me!

Basically they are not too well designed
and the capacitance of the live and switch-wire is enough to make
them flicker.

Do I get the impression I might as well just live with it, then? It's
not bothering me, except to make me vaguely worried that I had a loose
connection somewhere, for example.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks all - I'll fit the new bulb and probably leave it as is.

Tim