DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Pendulum Jigsaw Problem (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/212812-pendulum-jigsaw-problem.html)

Davy August 31st 07 09:37 AM

Pendulum Jigsaw Problem

About 18 months ago I bought a Titan (Screwfix) SFJ750XP jigsaw but have
hardly used it. Today I am trying to cut some 50mm Xtratherm (aluminium foil
faced expanded polystyrene) using a Bosch serrated blade.
But the jigsaw seems to have two design problems:
- even with the pendulum action switched off the blade holder can still rock
backwards and forwards
- the pendulum guide wheel only loosely encloses the blade
Consequently the blade keeps jumping out of the pendulum wheel guide groove
and bends to a position about a cm to the side of the guide groove.
Everytime this happens the cut moves over about a cm and is not
perpendicular to the surface. The jigsaw is unusable.
Is this a general problem with pendulum jigsaws - or just Titan? If you have
a pendulum jigsaw can you please check if the blade holder is able to move
backwards and forwards even with the pendulum action switched off?

thanks, Davy

Lurch August 31st 07 09:58 AM

Pendulum Jigsaw Problem

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 09:37:22 +0100, "Davy"
mused:

[...]

It's your jigsaw.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Pete C August 31st 07 12:08 PM

Pendulum Jigsaw Problem

Hi,

Probably the jigsaw, but check the blade is *fully* in so the locking
ring snaps back to it's original position.

cheers,
Pete.

The Medway Handyman August 31st 07 08:25 PM

Pendulum Jigsaw Problem

Lurch wrote:
[...]

Yup. Highly likely.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Andy Dingley September 1st 07 09:08 PM

Pendulum Jigsaw Problem

wrote:

About 18 months ago I bought a Titan (Screwfix) SFJ750XP jigsaw

Read the archives of this ng. You'll find a massive concensus that cheap
jigsaws just don't work.

Davy September 3rd 07 06:36 PM

Pendulum Jigsaw Problem

"Pete C" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

Probably the jigsaw, but check the blade is *fully* in so the locking
ring snaps back to it's original position.

cheers,
Pete.

Pete,
Its not the blade that moves but the blade holder,

thanks Davy

Pete C September 3rd 07 08:34 PM

Pendulum Jigsaw Problem

On Sep 3, 6:36 pm, "Davy" wrote:
Pete,
Its not the blade that moves but the blade holder,

I see.

If you're in the market for a jigsaw a fairly good one would be a
Wickes Pro one made by Kress for £50:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/167256?
htxt=6YwZAISW1i5OgIudElUVh4%2BI3KMD0YlK3aWM7EPIBJQ VvJOxcInvY1H4JwBcSZ2MIfCIMv2VNq1z
%0AWJ9bQPNXrg%3D%3D

http://www.kress-elektrik.de/en/products/product.php?
view=image&id=2793

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Kress-Stichsae...00-E-10-Jahre-
Garantie_W0QQitemZ160144621116QQihZ006QQcategoryZ3 0511QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

They're a bit more than the average cheap jigsaw but are made in
Switzerland so should be pretty good.

I bougt a fairly good one for £20 from Lidl a little while ago but I'd
expect they're out of stock everywhere now.

cheers,
Pete.