Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plumbing outflow of washing machine into external drains

Hi

I've recently plumbed a new washing machine into the garage and need
to run the outflow pipe through the garage wall foundations, into a
trench, then run it along for about three feet before connecting it
into the the drain where one of the downpipes flows from the guttering
in the house. My problem is that I'm not sure how I can drill a core
into the concrete gully to fit the outflow pipe without cracking the
gully. I'm also not too sure how to get though the garage wall.

Any advice?

Cheers

Ben

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 12:04:21 -0700 someone who may be Ben R
wrote this:-

I've recently plumbed a new washing machine into the garage and need
to run the outflow pipe through the garage wall foundations, into a
trench, then run it along for about three feet before connecting it
into the the drain where one of the downpipes flows from the guttering
in the house. My problem is that I'm not sure how I can drill a core
into the concrete gully to fit the outflow pipe without cracking the
gully.

If the gully has an open grid or back-entry, could you not run the
waste at high level along the garage wall and then drop into the
gully?

If it doesn't, could you still run the pipe at high level and drop
into a newly installed back-entry gully?

Otherwise you will need to extend the drain.

I'm also not too sure how to get though the garage wall.

What is the wall made of?

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ben R wrote :
Hi

I've recently plumbed a new washing machine into the garage and need
to run the outflow pipe through the garage wall foundations, into a
trench, then run it along for about three feet before connecting it
into the the drain where one of the downpipes flows from the guttering
in the house.

Strictly speaking that part needs to be properly done. Hole through
wall, then a short pipe discharging into a proper gully.

My problem is that I'm not sure how I can drill a core
into the concrete gully to fit the outflow pipe without cracking the
gully.

The above gully needs to then go to a manhole.

I'm also not too sure how to get though the garage wall.

SDS drill plus a suitably sized core drill. Lidl had some core drills
and an SDS drill on offer last week at a good price. It would make
light work of such a hole.

Cheers

Ben

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ben R wrote:
Hi

I've recently plumbed a new washing machine into the garage and need
to run the outflow pipe through the garage wall foundations, into a
trench, then run it along for about three feet before connecting it
into the the drain where one of the downpipes flows from the guttering
in the house. My problem is that I'm not sure how I can drill a core
into the concrete gully to fit the outflow pipe without cracking the
gully. I'm also not too sure how to get though the garage wall.

Any advice?

Where does your surface water go? It may not go to the public foul water
sewer - it could be that it goes to either a soakaway or a surface water
sewer! Hence the connection would be both illegal and polluting the
environment. This home modification is often the greatest source of
pollution in urban watercourses!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Most hopuses you have top-water, and foul-water, 2 seperate systems.
You are proposing to put your foul-water into the top-water drain, not
a sensible plan.

Rick

On Aug 30, 8:04 pm, Ben R wrote:
Hi

I've recently plumbed a new washing machine into the garage and need
to run the outflow pipe through the garage wall foundations, into a
trench, then run it along for about three feet before connecting it
into the the drain where one of the downpipes flows from the guttering
in the house. My problem is that I'm not sure how I can drill a core
into the concrete gully to fit the outflow pipe without cracking the
gully. I'm also not too sure how to get though the garage wall.

Any advice?

Cheers

Ben

Posted to uk.d-i-y

clot wrote:
Ben R wrote:
Hi

I've recently plumbed a new washing machine into the garage and need
to run the outflow pipe through the garage wall foundations, into a
trench, then run it along for about three feet before connecting it
into the the drain where one of the downpipes flows from the
guttering in the house. My problem is that I'm not sure how I can
drill a core into the concrete gully to fit the outflow pipe without
cracking the gully. I'm also not too sure how to get though the
garage wall. Any advice?

Where does your surface water go? It may not go to the public foul
water sewer - it could be that it goes to either a soakaway or a
surface water sewer! Hence the connection would be both illegal and
polluting the environment. This home modification is often the
greatest source of pollution in urban watercourses!

I had a customer last week wanting a washing machine installed into an
attached garage. He seemed sure it would be OK to discharge the waste into
a surface water gully. I told him it wasn't suitable or legal. I suspect
he will get it done anyway, so I have my principles, but I lost the job!

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
clot wrote:
Ben R wrote:
[...]

Sorry you lost the job but it will protect your reputation. You never
know, he might just be persuaded of his error by another and come back
to you if "The Price is Right".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi

Thanks for all your advice. We have a septic tank and I was pretty
sure that the drain went into the tank - however, I will double check
as I don't want to drain it away anywhere else. Is it very unusual for
top water AND foul water to go to the septic tank?

To make absolutely sure I could run the outflow to the drain from the
kitchen (sink/dishwasher - on the presumption that this WILL go to the
septic tank). However, I would still be faced with the same problem. I
cannot run the outflow above ground to the top of a gulley because it
crosses a path around the house. Would I therefore have to extend the
drain?

Cheers again

Ben

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ben R wrote:

Is it very unusual for
top water AND foul water to go to the septic tank?

Yes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

S Viemeister wrote:
Ben R wrote:

Is it very unusual for
top water AND foul water to go to the septic tank?

Yes.

Its very stupid, as much as anything. Septic tanks are there to allow a
low flow to settle and anaerobically digest the organics into sludge

A high flow washes the organics through before its happened.
I used to have one, and after a big bath, the outflow whiffed something
shocking.

The klargester biodisk I now have is INFINITELY better, but even that
couldn't cope with rainwater..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ben R wrote:
Hi

Thanks for all your advice. We have a septic tank and I was pretty
sure that the drain went into the tank - however, I will double check
as I don't want to drain it away anywhere else. Is it very unusual for
top water AND foul water to go to the septic tank?

To make absolutely sure I could run the outflow to the drain from the
kitchen (sink/dishwasher - on the presumption that this WILL go to the
septic tank). However, I would still be faced with the same problem. I
cannot run the outflow above ground to the top of a gulley because it
crosses a path around the house. Would I therefore have to extend the
drain?

As TNP has commented, very very unlikely! It could just be worth putting
in some drain tracing dye in to find out where it goes.