DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Vibration/Noise from Metal Gate Hinge (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/212324-vibration-noise-metal-gate-hinge.html)

PeteR August 26th 07 06:49 PM

Vibration/Noise from Metal Gate Hinge

Next door have an ironwork gate between their house and ours. The
hinges are mounted on our wall - (brick built).
When they slam the gate there is an awful clang, rattle and vibration.

I am thinking of volunteering to seat the hinge brackets on some
flexible vibration/noise absorbent material - foam rubber or the
like.

Do people think it will make any difference? - if so what material
would you suggest?
--
PeteR

Cicero August 26th 07 07:19 PM

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 18:49:30 +0100, PeteR wrote:

Next door have an ironwork gate between their house and ours. The hinges
are mounted on our wall - (brick built). When they slam the gate there is
an awful clang, rattle and vibration.

I am thinking of volunteering to seat the hinge brackets on some flexible
vibration/noise absorbent material - foam rubber or the like.

Do people think it will make any difference? - if so what material would
you suggest?

==================================
Leave the hinges as they are but attach rubber buffers (small round door
stops) or a rubber strip to the bolt side of the gate. Experiment with a
few of these to see what works best.

It might help in the long run to remove the gate and re-fix on 3" wooden
posts.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Harry Bloomfield August 26th 07 07:59 PM

Vibration/Noise from Metal Gate Hinge

PeteR presented the following explanation :
Next door have an ironwork gate between their house and ours. The
hinges are mounted on our wall - (brick built).
When they slam the gate there is an awful clang, rattle and vibration.

I am thinking of volunteering to seat the hinge brackets on some
flexible vibration/noise absorbent material - foam rubber or the
like.

Do people think it will make any difference? - if so what material
would you suggest?

You could mount it on a solid rubber block, such that the gate hinge
fixing was separated from the fixing of the block to the wall. The
biggest difference you could make would be to add a rubber cushion of
some sort to the gates closure to prevent the clang as it closes.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)