Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default So when's the next water shortage due?

It's been ****ing down for months and the worst floods in living memory.
What that tells me is that we're shortly due for hosepipe bans and water
restrictions given that the water authorities in this country seem to be
totally unable to provide for uninterrupted supplies of the stuff in one of
the wettest countries on earth. The usual excuse is that rain doesn't help
them much because it just runs away and doesn't actually get into the
underground water table. Maybe if it rained underground more instead of
above it? Still I'm not a meteorologist so what do I know?
--
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Baker" wrote in message
It's been ****ing down for months and the worst floods in living

memory.
What that tells me is that we're shortly due for hosepipe bans and

water
restrictions given that the water authorities in this country seem

to be
totally unable to provide for uninterrupted supplies of the stuff in

one of
the wettest countries on earth. The usual excuse is that rain

doesn't help
them much because it just runs away and doesn't actually get into

the
underground water table. Maybe if it rained underground more instead

of
above it? Still I'm not a meteorologist so what do I know?
--
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

Yet 'they' tell us that even normal levels of rain can now lead to
flooding as the ground is saturated ! It's a case of the 'authorities'
having their cake and eating it (or rather having OUR cake and eating
it)

AWEM

(Who for decades has been a conformist, but now is getting distinctly
anarchist tendancies)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-21 19:06:02 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"
said:

AWEM

(Who for decades has been a conformist, but now is getting distinctly
anarchist tendancies)

Excellent. There's hope yet :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DJC DJC is offline

Andrew Mawson wrote:
(Who for decades has been a conformist, but now is getting distinctly
anarchist tendancies)

I've always been an anarchist, but contrary to the usual pattern, I seem
to getting more so the older I get.

--
djc
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Baker wrote:
It's been ****ing down for months and the worst floods in living
memory. What that tells me is that we're shortly due for hosepipe
bans and water restrictions given that the water authorities in this
country seem to be totally unable to provide for uninterrupted
supplies of the stuff in one of the wettest countries on earth.

Quite a few years ago I worked as a rep for Karcher & we had a hosepipe ban
in the south east, which caused a bit of a drop in sales.

I was talking to one of the German guys about this.

He said he knew Kent, it was bordered by the Thames estuary & the sea on
three sides and had a river running diagonally through it. He couldn't
understand how we could have a water shortage!

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message ...
Dave Baker wrote:
[...]

.... ah... but that would be during the time that the Germans owned
Thames Water no doubt G

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Baker wrote:
It's been ****ing down for months and the worst floods in living
memory. What that tells me is that we're shortly due for hosepipe
bans and water restrictions given that the water authorities in this
country seem to be totally unable to provide for uninterrupted
supplies of the stuff in one of the wettest countries on earth.

Quite a few years ago I worked as a rep for Karcher & we had a hosepipe
ban in the south east, which caused a bit of a drop in sales.

I was talking to one of the German guys about this.

He said he knew Kent, it was bordered by the Thames estuary & the sea on
three sides and had a river running diagonally through it. He couldn't
understand how we could have a water shortage!

It is anticipated that, if water use continues to grow at the current rate,
the Ganges will run out of water before it reaches the sea within a few
decades. The Thames would not even make a decent tributary to the Ganges.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Baker wrote:
[...]

Assuming the current rates of continental drift continue into the future
it'll be several hundred million years before the Thames could ever become a
tributary to the Ganges. However that's probably still not long enough for
the water authorities in this country to get their act together. Humans will
have mutated into 2 foot tall scaly reptilians with advanced ESP abilities
but hosepipe bans will still be, like death and taxes, one of those
invariables of life.
--
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines
Today I are mainly listening to....Corrine Bailey Rae

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Aug, 18:44, "Dave Baker" wrote:
It's been ****ing down for months and the worst floods in living memory.
What that tells me is that we're shortly due for hosepipe bans and water
restrictions given that the water authorities in this country seem to be
totally unable to provide for uninterrupted supplies of the stuff in one of
the wettest countries on earth. The usual excuse is that rain doesn't help
them much because it just runs away and doesn't actually get into the
underground water table. Maybe if it rained underground more instead of
above it? Still I'm not a meteorologist so what do I know?
--
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

It's to do with farming practices, building on flood planes, the
concreting of driveways, low soakaway installation, overcrowding etc.
etc. It all means that the water does not get a chance to soak into
the ground but is directed into storm drains etc. and then into
rivers.
Oh yes, and we also plant thirsty gardens, use power showers, wash
leaves up with pressure washers, use pressure washers to wash cars,
windows, decking, pavement, flush when it's only yellow etc. etc.
Last year a program on reducing waste filmed a lady, who whilst
cleaning the bathroom, always left the basin taps running because she
liked the sound of running water!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Baker" wrote in message
It's been ****ing down for months and the worst floods in living memory.
What that tells me is that we're shortly due for hosepipe bans and water
restrictions given that the water authorities in this country seem to be
totally unable to provide for uninterrupted supplies of the stuff in one
of the wettest countries on earth. The usual excuse is that rain doesn't
help them much because it just runs away and doesn't actually get into the
underground water table. Maybe if it rained underground more instead of
above it?

In the SE? Sooner rather than later as you lack storage for the water and
have too many people.

Still I'm not a meteorologist so what do I know?

Not a lot by the sound of it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

"Dave Baker" wrote in message
It's been ****ing down for months and the worst floods in living
memory. What that tells me is that we're shortly due for hosepipe bans
and water restrictions given that the water authorities in this
country seem to be totally unable to provide for uninterrupted
supplies of the stuff in one of the wettest countries on earth. The
usual excuse is that rain doesn't help them much because it just runs
away and doesn't actually get into the underground water table. Maybe
if it rained underground more instead of above it?

In the SE? Sooner rather than later as you lack storage for the water
and have too many people.

There is an extremely large reservoir located underground in SELondon.
Driven over it many times and never knew it was there.

Still I'm not a meteorologist so what do I know?

Not a lot by the sound of it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
dennis@home wrote:

"Dave Baker" wrote in message
[...]

There are several, mostly Victorian, reservoirs underground in SE
London. Built when they had the confidence and style to do things
properly.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

"Dave Baker" wrote in message
It's been ****ing down for months and the worst floods in living memory.
What that tells me is that we're shortly due for hosepipe bans and water
restrictions given that the water authorities in this country seem to be
totally unable to provide for uninterrupted supplies of the stuff in one
of the wettest countries on earth. The usual excuse is that rain doesn't
help them much because it just runs away and doesn't actually get into
the underground water table. Maybe if it rained underground more instead
of above it?

In the SE? Sooner rather than later as you lack storage for the water and
have too many people.

There is an extremely large reservoir located underground in SELondon.
Driven over it many times and never knew it was there.

How many days worth of water?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

"Dave Baker" wrote in message
It's been ****ing down for months and the worst floods in living
memory. What that tells me is that we're shortly due for hosepipe
bans and water restrictions given that the water authorities in this
country seem to be totally unable to provide for uninterrupted
supplies of the stuff in one of the wettest countries on earth. The
usual excuse is that rain doesn't help them much because it just
runs away and doesn't actually get into the underground water table.
Maybe if it rained underground more instead of above it?

In the SE? Sooner rather than later as you lack storage for the water
and have too many people.

There is an extremely large reservoir located underground in SELondon.
Driven over it many times and never knew it was there.

How many days worth of water?

According to Thames Water...

"Honor Oak Reservoir is Europe’s largest underground reservoir, beneath
Peckham Golf Course. It holds enough water for 1 million people."

i.e. quite a lot :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"Dave Baker" wrote in message
[...]

The London ring main sounds like a pretty ambitious project

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-23 12:27:39 +0100, Stuart Noble

dennis@home wrote:

"Dave Baker" wrote in message
[...]

For how long though?

Looks like Thames Water uses the same marcomms firm as Persil.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

"Dave Baker" wrote in message
[...]

For 1 million people to do *what*? make a cup of tea?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 18:44:10 +0100 someone who may be "Dave Baker"
wrote this:-

the water authorities in this country seem to be
totally unable to provide for uninterrupted supplies of the stuff in one of
the wettest countries on earth.

In this country Scottish Water, a QANGO, does a reasonable job
though a far from perfect one.

In other parts of the UK (excluding perhaps Northern Ireland) I
understand water supply is privatised. This was supposed to bring
thrusting, forward-looking, enterprise to replace the tired old men
of the public sector.

No matter what the ownership, the problem the organisations
concerned face is rising demand. More households, more appliances
in these households, more gadgets (how many people wash cars with a
bucket of water and cloth these days?). There is also great
reluctance to building more reservoirs from the landscape lobby.

The answer is to reduce demand, as well as reduce the amount of
water ****ing out of the pipes (a particular problem in the London
area I gather). Water saving shower heads and the like are one
option which involve minimal adaption. Using rainwater for gardens
and washing cars is little more complicated. Flushing toilets and
washing clothes with rainwater requires more thought, but can be
done. Then there is full grey water recycling and composting
toilets.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 12:37:16 +0100, David Hansen
wrote:

In other parts of the UK (excluding perhaps Northern Ireland) I
understand water supply is privatised.

Water supply around here has always been private, therefore in a sense
it hasn't been 'privatised' :-)

--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hello Stuart,

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
How many days worth of water?

According to Thames Water...

"Honor Oak Reservoir is Europe's largest underground reservoir,
beneath Peckham Golf Course. It holds enough water for 1 million
people."

i.e. quite a lot :-)

For how many days? Population of London now put at over 7 million.

regards

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

dennis@home wrote:

"Dave Baker" wrote in message
[...]

Don't get all technical. A million is such a nice comforting figure :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hello David,

wrote this:-

the water authorities in this country seem to be totally unable to
provide for uninterrupted supplies of the stuff in one of the wettest
countries on earth.

In this country Scottish Water, a QANGO, does a reasonable job though
a far from perfect one.

In other parts of the UK (excluding perhaps Northern Ireland) I
understand water supply is privatised. This was supposed to bring
thrusting, forward-looking, enterprise to replace the tired old men of
the public sector.

No matter what the ownership, the problem the organisations concerned
face is rising demand.

Unless it has changed in recent years, one of the major problems was lack
of maintenance of the feeding channels into resevoirs. I can remember watching
a local news item in Yorkshire where a retired or laid-off maintenance chap
showed a feeding channel running off a hill to a resevoir. It was about
a foot wide. He was asked what was wrong with that and replied that the
concrete channel was actually six feet wide but had become filled with vegetation.
It had been his job to keep it clear.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

No-one wrote:
Hello Stuart,

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
How many days worth of water?

According to Thames Water...

"Honor Oak Reservoir is Europe's largest underground reservoir,
beneath Peckham Golf Course. It holds enough water for 1 million
people."

i.e. quite a lot :-)

For how many days? Population of London now put at over 7 million.

regards

What about, "for a considerable period of time"?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-23 12:37:16 +0100, David Hansen

wrote this:-

the water authorities in this country seem to be
totally unable to provide for uninterrupted supplies of the stuff in one of
the wettest countries on earth.

In this country Scottish Water, a QANGO, does a reasonable job
though a far from perfect one.

In other parts of the UK (excluding perhaps Northern Ireland) I
understand water supply is privatised. This was supposed to bring
thrusting, forward-looking, enterprise to replace the tired old men
of the public sector.

No matter what the ownership, the problem the organisations
concerned face is rising demand.

The problem is inadequate planning and provisioning. This is not a
demand issue.

More households, more appliances
in these households, more gadgets (how many people wash cars with a
bucket of water and cloth these days?). There is also great
reluctance to building more reservoirs from the landscape lobby.

That's OK as long as it's in parts of the country such as Scotland
where there is plenty of space and it blends in anyway.

The answer is to reduce demand,

No it isn't. That's the same silly argument as energy saving.
Completely unnecessary.

as well as reduce the amount of
water ****ing out of the pipes (a particular problem in the London
area I gather).

That should be done, and done by means of repair, not by reduction in pressure.

Water saving shower heads and the like are one
option which involve minimal adaption.

These are pointless. A good shower involves the delivery of a good
supply of water, not a needle jet tiddly electric-like thing.

Using rainwater for gardens
and washing cars is little more complicated.

Not really. It's entirely reasonable to water vegetables and fruits
at particular times.

Flushing toilets and
washing clothes with rainwater requires more thought, but can be
done.
Then there is full grey water recycling and composting
toilets.

These are largely nonsense. It may be just about acceptable to flush
toilets with rain water provided that it could be suitably filtered and
cleaned up. It certainly isn't for clothes unless it can be properly
cleaned and purified. It is more sensible to do this on an industrial
scale.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-23 12:46:56 +0100, Frank Erskine

wrote:

In other parts of the UK (excluding perhaps Northern Ireland) I
understand water supply is privatised.

Water supply around here has always been private, therefore in a sense
it hasn't been 'privatised' :-)

Plus you've got God supplying plenty of it horizontally.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 14:26:08 +0100 someone who may be Andy Hall
wrote this:-

The problem is inadequate planning and provisioning. This is not a
demand issue.

Predict and provide. Very 1960s, but engineering has moved on a lot
since then.

There is also great
reluctance to building more reservoirs from the landscape lobby.

That's OK as long as it's in parts of the country such as Scotland
where there is plenty of space and it blends in anyway.

In this country, Scotland, the landscape lobby are very strong.
Together with certain sections of the civil service they stopped
hydro-electric schemes in favour of Longannet (I never have quite
understood why the landscape lobby didn't object as strongly to
Longannet). Perhaps that is because it is in a part of the country
they are not so concerned about.

Water saving shower heads and the like are one
option which involve minimal adaption.

These are pointless. A good shower involves the delivery of a good
supply of water, not a needle jet tiddly electric-like thing.

That is only one form of water saving shower head. There are others,
such as shower heads that only output water when squeezed.

Using rainwater for gardens
and washing cars is little more complicated.

Not really. It's entirely reasonable to water vegetables and fruits
at particular times.

It is a little more complicated in that one must arrange storage,
connect this to the downpipe and deal with the overflow.

Flushing toilets and
washing clothes with rainwater requires more thought, but can be
done.
Then there is full grey water recycling and composting
toilets.

These are largely nonsense.

Excellent.

It may be just about acceptable to flush
toilets with rain water provided that it could be suitably filtered and
cleaned up. It certainly isn't for clothes unless it can be properly
cleaned and purified.

All this can be done fairly easily.

It is more sensible to do this on an industrial scale.

The largest or second largest consumption of electricity in Scotland
is by Scottish Water. Thus for several reasons it makes sense to do
one's bit to reduce this.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-23 15:34:42 +0100, David Hansen

wrote this:-

The problem is inadequate planning and provisioning. This is not a
demand issue.

Predict and provide. Very 1960s, but engineering has moved on a lot
since then.

Which means that there is even less excuse.

There is also great
reluctance to building more reservoirs from the landscape lobby.

That's OK as long as it's in parts of the country such as Scotland
where there is plenty of space and it blends in anyway.

In this country, Scotland, the landscape lobby are very strong.

That's good to hear, but where needs must...

Together with certain sections of the civil service they stopped
hydro-electric schemes in favour of Longannet (I never have quite
understood why the landscape lobby didn't object as strongly to
Longannet). Perhaps that is because it is in a part of the country
they are not so concerned about.

One could understand it even more so had it been on the Clyde.

Water saving shower heads and the like are one
option which involve minimal adaption.

These are pointless. A good shower involves the delivery of a good
supply of water, not a needle jet tiddly electric-like thing.

That is only one form of water saving shower head. There are others,
such as shower heads that only output water when squeezed.

Even less point in those.

Using rainwater for gardens
and washing cars is little more complicated.

Not really. It's entirely reasonable to water vegetables and fruits
at particular times.

It is a little more complicated in that one must arrange storage,
connect this to the downpipe and deal with the overflow.

Much easier to use the draught version that the locally sourced.

Flushing toilets and
washing clothes with rainwater requires more thought, but can be
done.
Then there is full grey water recycling and composting
toilets.

These are largely nonsense.

Excellent.

It may be just about acceptable to flush
toilets with rain water provided that it could be suitably filtered and
cleaned up. It certainly isn't for clothes unless it can be properly
cleaned and purified.

All this can be done fairly easily.

So how would a treatment plant with full filtering and chemical
treatment for bacterial removal be implemented at lower cost to the
householder than the current buy price for piped water?

It is more sensible to do this on an industrial scale.

The largest or second largest consumption of electricity in Scotland
is by Scottish Water. Thus for several reasons it makes sense to do
one's bit to reduce this.

This is where it becomes even more nonsense. As soon as the phrase
"doing one's bit" is mentioned, it almost always means that the thing
itself is inconsequential as it is in this case.

There are three very obvious aspects to your example:

- The demand for water is increasing. Solution is to provide more
infrastructure and supply, not to attempt to buck the behaviour of the
market and to attempt to reduce consumption.

- If that entails the use of more electricity, then provide more
electricity. Scotland is more fortunate than other parts of the
country in having a certain amount of hydroelectric generation. It
also has plenty of suitable sites for implementation of nuclear
generation to make up the rest of the requirement and more.

Issue solved without depriving people of what they want to buy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

It may be just about acceptable to flush
toilets with rain water provided that it could be suitably filtered and
cleaned up. It certainly isn't for clothes unless it can be properly
cleaned and purified.

All this can be done fairly easily.

So how would a treatment plant with full filtering and chemical treatment
for bacterial removal be implemented at lower cost to the householder than
the current buy price for piped water?

Does water for flushing toilets require all that - "suitably filtered and
cleaned up"?
Is rainwater really that mucky? (and if so, why?)

clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-23 17:44:37 +0100, "Clive George" said:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message ...

It may be just about acceptable to flush
toilets with rain water provided that it could be suitably filtered and
cleaned up. It certainly isn't for clothes unless it can be properly
cleaned and purified.

All this can be done fairly easily.

So how would a treatment plant with full filtering and chemical
treatment for bacterial removal be implemented at lower cost to the
householder than the current buy price for piped water?

Does water for flushing toilets require all that - "suitably filtered
and cleaned up"?
Is rainwater really that mucky? (and if so, why?)

clive

I was actually referring mainly to clothes washing where clean water
should be used. For toilets, if the water is not sufficiently
purified, contains pollutants and stains the sanitaryware such that
extra cleaning with chemicals is required, the purpose is somewhat
defeated.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 23, 8:51 pm, wrote:
On 23 Aug,
Stuart Noble wrote:

"Honor Oak Reservoir is Europe's largest underground reservoir, beneath
Peckham Golf Course. It holds enough water for 1 million people."

i.e. quite a lot :-)

For 1 million people for how long? 1 hour? a day? 6 months? 10 years?
Reservoirs are designed for different uses. Kielder, for example is intended
for storage for several years,

It was planned and built to supply the industry and housing that never
materialised due to a veriaty of reasons. It was never intended for
long term storage. That's just a convenient outcome and spin to
justify a huge white elephant.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...
On 23 Aug,
Stuart Noble wrote:

"Honor Oak Reservoir is Europe's largest underground reservoir, beneath
Peckham Golf Course. It holds enough water for 1 million people."

i.e. quite a lot :-)

For 1 million people for how long? 1 hour? a day? 6 months? 10 years?

Long enough for 1 million people to moisten a stamp on the letter to their
water authority complaining about the hosepipe bans perhaps?
--
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines
Today I are mainly listening to....Corrine Bailey Rae

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Aug, 22:38, djc wrote:
Andrew Mawson wrote:
(Who for decades has been a conformist, but now is getting distinctly
anarchist tendancies)

I've always been an anarchist, but contrary to the usual pattern, I seem
to getting more so the older I get.

"They say that get more right wing as you get older, but I recon
that's just a rumour spread by dirty jews!"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Stuart Noble
saying something like:

The London ring main sounds like a pretty ambitious project

Jeez, think of the RCD on that.
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember Stuart Noble
saying something like:

The London ring main sounds like a pretty ambitious project

Jeez, think of the RCD on that.

Stick it in Essex somewhere
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember Stuart Noble
saying something like:

The London ring main sounds like a pretty ambitious project

Jeez, think of the RCD on that.

Stick it in Essex somewhere

Resident chav dectector

Glue shortage? Dukes909 Woodworking 3 March 23rd 06 06:15 PM
When's a Reciprocating Saw Blade Worn Out? James \Cubby\ Culbertson Home Repair 14 August 10th 05 01:08 AM
Why There Is A Flu Vaccine Shortage [email protected] Metalworking 0 November 21st 04 12:11 PM
Shortage in Delivery Kevin UK diy 5 October 5th 04 08:10 PM