DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Fault with Power Saw (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/211759-fault-power-saw.html)

Arthur 51 August 21st 07 11:54 AM

Fault with Power Saw

Hi all.
My B & D power saw has a bad habit.
Just after I begin a cut it seems to 'hit a wall' and won't
move no matter how hard I 'lean' on it.
But after a minute or so the blade starts cutting and cuts well to the
end
no matter how long the cut is.
And it doesn't matter how thick the material I'm cutting.
Sorry..(I'm at work),,I can't remember off the top of my head but I
think it has a
40 tooth 160..ish mm diam blade.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Arthur

George August 21st 07 12:09 PM

Fault with Power Saw

"Arthur 51" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all.
My B & D power saw has a bad habit.
Just after I begin a cut it seems to 'hit a wall' and won't
move no matter how hard I 'lean' on it.
But after a minute or so the blade starts cutting and cuts well to the
end
no matter how long the cut is.
And it doesn't matter how thick the material I'm cutting.
Sorry..(I'm at work),,I can't remember off the top of my head but I
think it has a
40 tooth 160..ish mm diam blade.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Arthur

First of all get to know how to operate power tools ie let the blade do the
cutting and you just guide the saw along the line of cut as opposed to "how
hard you lean on it".
Secondly your blades teeth sound knaced ie the oent the blade hits a knot
this will almost bring the saw to a dead halt and is putting wear on the
motor,so check the teeth for burning/scorch marks

Pete C August 21st 07 12:18 PM

Fault with Power Saw

On Aug 21, 11:54 am, Arthur 51 wrote:
Hi all.
My B & D power saw has a bad habit.
Just after I begin a cut it seems to 'hit a wall' and won't
move no matter how hard I 'lean' on it.
But after a minute or so the blade starts cutting and cuts well to the
end
no matter how long the cut is.
And it doesn't matter how thick the material I'm cutting.
Sorry..(I'm at work),,I can't remember off the top of my head but I
think it has a
40 tooth 160..ish mm diam blade.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Arthur

Hi,

It's not a bent 'riving knife' underneath getting caught on the edge
of the workpiece is it?

cheers,
Pete.

Mr Uncalled-For August 21st 07 12:31 PM

Fault with Power Saw

On Aug 21, 11:54 am, Arthur 51 wrote:
Hi all.
My B & D power saw has a bad habit.
Just after I begin a cut it seems to 'hit a wall' and won't
move no matter how hard I 'lean' on it.
But after a minute or so the blade starts cutting and cuts well to the
end
no matter how long the cut is.
And it doesn't matter how thick the material I'm cutting.
Sorry..(I'm at work),,I can't remember off the top of my head but I
think it has a
40 tooth 160..ish mm diam blade.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Arthur

It sounds like some part of the saw (blade guard, base, etc) is
catching on the front edge of whatever it is you're cutting.

robgraham August 21st 07 12:33 PM

Fault with Power Saw

On 21 Aug, 12:18, Pete C wrote:
[...]

I would suggest that it is the blade guard. As you start to cut, the
blade guard should come in contact with the edge of the wood and
rotate out of the way - mine ( a cheapy but perfectly effective)
occasionally sticks slightly and gives just the effect you are talking
about.

Rob

Stuart Noble August 21st 07 01:20 PM

Fault with Power Saw

robgraham wrote:
On 21 Aug, 12:18, Pete C wrote:
[...]

The guard only needs lifting a fraction but it's a pain when your left
hand is holding the workpiece

Stuart B August 21st 07 05:47 PM

Fault with Power Saw

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 04:33:35 -0700, robgraham
wrote:

On 21 Aug, 12:18, Pete C wrote:
[...]

So does mine and thats exactly what the symptoms are like ....as if
you are hitting a wall with the blade .

Matty F August 21st 07 11:04 PM

Fault with Power Saw

On Aug 21, 11:33 pm, robgraham wrote:

I would suggest that it is the blade guard. As you start to cut, the
blade guard should come in contact with the edge of the wood and
rotate out of the way - mine ( a cheapy but perfectly effective)
occasionally sticks slightly and gives just the effect you are talking
about.

I find that I have to lift the blade guard every time, using the
handle provided for the purpose.
The other reason my saw stops cutting sometimes is that the power cord
is caught on something and is tight :)

Stuart Noble August 22nd 07 10:58 AM

Fault with Power Saw

Matty F wrote:
On Aug 21, 11:33 pm, robgraham wrote:

I would suggest that it is the blade guard. As you start to cut, the
blade guard should come in contact with the edge of the wood and
rotate out of the way - mine ( a cheapy but perfectly effective)
occasionally sticks slightly and gives just the effect you are talking
about.

I find that I have to lift the blade guard every time, using the
handle provided for the purpose.
The other reason my saw stops cutting sometimes is that the power cord
is caught on something and is tight :)

Like when you're standing on it