Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Household Grease

Hi,
Does anyone know what household grease is and where I can buy it?
I've recently fitted a corded curtain track and the instructions say
lubricate with household grease.

Regards,
Martin.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Does anyone know what household grease is
I think I once saw it called that in the USA and searching there
confirms it *may* be white, lithium grease.
and where I can buy it?

If so, Halfords among others:
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...tegoryrn_31345

(On the very rare occasions I clean curtain tracks I just finish off
with a silicone polish - eg Pledge. But I know nothing.)

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Aug, 09:24, "Robin"
pleaseaskinthegr...@becauseIhavegotfedupwithspama ndstuff.co.ru

If so, Halfords among others:http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...ct_storeId_100...

(On the very rare occasions I clean curtain tracks I just finish off
with a silicone polish - eg Pledge. But I know nothing.)

--
Robin

Thanks Pledge sounds a a good idea.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Robin" pleaseaskinthegroup@becauseIhavegotfedupwithspama ndstuff.co.ru
wrote in message k...
Does anyone know what household grease is

I think I once saw it called that in the USA and searching there confirms
it *may* be white, lithium grease.
and where I can buy it?

If so, Halfords among others:
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...tegoryrn_31345

(On the very rare occasions I clean curtain tracks I just finish off with
a silicone polish - eg Pledge. But I know nothing.)

--
Robin

What is the track made of?

If plastic I would agree with Robin and use a silicone based polish. It
won't stain the cords as much as a grease.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin formulated the question :
Hi,
Does anyone know what household grease is and where I can buy it?
I've recently fitted a corded curtain track and the instructions say
lubricate with household grease.

Regards,
Martin.

For such things I use a silicon spray lubricant. Pledge works equally
well and I think contains silicon.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Does anyone know what household grease is

I think I once saw it called that in the USA and searching there
confirms it *may* be white, lithium grease.and where I can buy it?

If so, Halfords among others:http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...ct_storeId_100...

(On the very rare occasions I clean curtain tracks I just finish off
with a silicone polish - eg Pledge. But I know nothing.)

--
Robin

Thanks Pledge sounds a a good idea.

And remember to redo it when they start sticking.
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Martin formulated the question :
Hi,
Does anyone know what household grease is and where I can buy it?
I've recently fitted a corded curtain track and the instructions say
lubricate with household grease.

Regards,
Martin.

For such things I use a silicon spray lubricant. Pledge works equally
well and I think contains silicon.

I does, but not as much as a silicone srpay.

White Lithium Grease? Bit OTT for a curtain track I would have thought?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway Handyman
wrote

I does, but not as much as a silicone srpay.

White Lithium Grease? Bit OTT for a curtain track I would have thought?

You don't want anything that stays wet as it will soon be sticky dust
trap.

I find that rubbing the top edge of the curtain track with an ordinary
candle works well.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alan wrote:
In message , The Medway Handyman
wrote

I does, but not as much as a silicone srpay.

White Lithium Grease? Bit OTT for a curtain track I would have thought?

You don't want anything that stays wet as it will soon be sticky dust
trap.

quite, I'd give grease a miss. Not only will it get dirty, but the mix
of grease and dirt will cause more friction than having nothing up
there.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alan wrote:
In message , The Medway Handyman
wrote

I does, but not as much as a silicone srpay.

White Lithium Grease? Bit OTT for a curtain track I would have thought?

You don't want anything that stays wet as it will soon be sticky dust trap.

I find that rubbing the top edge of the curtain track with an ordinary
candle works well.

You don't really want anything with a meaningful solids content. IIRC
Pledge does build up slightly on wooden surfaces and candle wax will get
sticky in hot weather. Mr.Sheen is your man
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin wrote:
Hi,
Does anyone know what household grease is and where I can buy it?
I've recently fitted a corded curtain track and the instructions say
lubricate with household grease.

Furniture wax - lightly applied and polished off.