DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Floor not level (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/211208-floor-not-level.html)

F August 17th 07 09:22 PM

Floor not level

I've just spent the last couple of days laying a laminate floor.

I assumed the concrete floor onto which it was laid was level but now
the laminate is down and I can stand back it's clear it's not. The last
600mm drops by 10 - 20mm.

I've got someone coming in on Wednesday to mitre and fit the worktops.
Ideally I would like to level the floor but I'm concerned that any damp
screed will damage the laminate which has to go down (admittedly onto a
dampproof underlay) before the cabinets and then the worktops can be
installed.

Anyone able to offer a view on how to proceed? I could simply ignore the
slope and just raise the back legs of the units. But Management is aware
of the situation...

--
Frank

George August 17th 07 09:25 PM

Floor not level

"F" wrote in message

Anyone able to offer a view on how to proceed? I could simply ignore the
slope and just raise the back legs of the units. But Management is aware
of the situation...

--
Frank

Will your managements guests be looking under the cabinets?

F August 17th 07 10:11 PM

Floor not level

On 17/08/2007 21:25 George wrote:

Will your managements guests be looking under the cabinets?

I've already asked that question. The answer was something like 'No, but
I know it's there...'.

--
Frank

The Medway Handyman August 17th 07 10:44 PM

Floor not level

F wrote:
I've just spent the last couple of days laying a laminate floor.

I assumed the concrete floor onto which it was laid was level but now
the laminate is down and I can stand back it's clear it's not. The
last 600mm drops by 10 - 20mm.

I've got someone coming in on Wednesday to mitre and fit the worktops.
Ideally I would like to level the floor but I'm concerned that any
damp screed will damage the laminate which has to go down (admittedly
onto a dampproof underlay) before the cabinets and then the worktops
can be installed.

Anyone able to offer a view on how to proceed? I could simply ignore
the slope and just raise the back legs of the units. But Management
is aware of the situation...

Slope sounds too big to ignore, especially if management has spotted it.

Self levelling screed dries pretty quickly, something like 24hrs - would
that help?

Secondly, I wonder if a hardener added to a powdered self levelling screed
or even a mortar mix would help - or maybe not.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

F August 18th 07 12:16 AM

Floor not level

On 17/08/2007 22:44 The Medway Handyman wrote:

Slope sounds too big to ignore, especially if management has spotted it.

Always seems worse once she has!

Self levelling screed dries pretty quickly, something like 24hrs - would
that help?

I had used some to remove a hollow and it took a couple of days to dry -
I ended up pointing the exhaust from the Earlex vacuum on it for an hour!

Unfortunately, when I levelled the 'hollow' I hadn't seen the forest,
just a single tree. I wanted to get the job done and didn't have time to
stand back and admire my handywork until I was finished. Not!

I've got a couple of sheets of plasterboard in the garage. Would that be
too soft to use as packing/filler with some self levelling to get a
smooth surface?

--
Frank

[email protected] August 18th 07 11:06 AM

Floor not level

F wrote:
On 17/08/2007 22:44 The Medway Handyman wrote:

Slope sounds too big to ignore, especially if management has spotted it.

Always seems worse once she has!

Self levelling screed dries pretty quickly, something like 24hrs - would
that help?

I had used some to remove a hollow and it took a couple of days to dry -
I ended up pointing the exhaust from the Earlex vacuum on it for an hour!

Unfortunately, when I levelled the 'hollow' I hadn't seen the forest,
just a single tree. I wanted to get the job done and didn't have time to
stand back and admire my handywork until I was finished. Not!

I've got a couple of sheets of plasterboard in the garage. Would that be
too soft to use as packing/filler with some self levelling to get a
smooth surface?

You can get floor filler that is ready to be trafficked in an hour or
2, its used in commercial situations. Alternatively you might be able
to use some wood strips trimmed and glued to reduce the problem.

NT

F August 19th 07 12:02 PM

Floor not level

On 18/08/2007 11:06 wrote:

You can get floor filler that is ready to be trafficked in an hour or
2

I got some of that and have left it for the last 20 hours. Hopefully
there's not enough moisture left in it to affect the laminate tiles
which have got to go down today on top of some Quickstep Combifloor damp
proof underlay...

--
Frank