DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Need a nut (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/210866-need-nut.html)

James[_4_] August 14th 07 04:58 PM

Need a nut

Does anyone know of a cheap online supplier for nuts ?

Basically I was changing my rear light cluster on my car as some little
idiot decided to smash it. It attached with 3 nuts and using a 8mm socket to
get them off. I managed to get 2 of them off and dropped the third into the
bodywork lost forever!

Now what I'm after is a replacement. I live in a remote area so popping to
local diy stores is a lengthy process so if anyone knows of a online
supplier who would be happy to sell a single nut would be handy ?

I assume its a 8mm nut as I used a 8mm socket to get it out.

.... just typical as soon as I get into a diy mood I start losing nuts! ... I
was doing so well untill I get all thumbs.

Thanks

Helen Deborah Vecht August 14th 07 05:22 PM

Need a nut

"James" typed

Does anyone know of a cheap online supplier for nuts ?

Basically I was changing my rear light cluster on my car as some little
idiot decided to smash it. It attached with 3 nuts and using a 8mm
socket to
get them off. I managed to get 2 of them off and dropped the third into the
bodywork lost forever!

Now what I'm after is a replacement. I live in a remote area so popping to
local diy stores is a lengthy process so if anyone knows of a online
supplier who would be happy to sell a single nut would be handy ?

I assume its a 8mm nut as I used a 8mm socket to get it out.

.... just typical as soon as I get into a diy mood I start losing
nuts! ... I
was doing so well untill I get all thumbs.

Thanks

It might be 8mm on the outside but its internal threading is what's
critical to get right. Is it M5 or what?

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Dave Baker[_2_] August 14th 07 06:35 PM

Need a nut

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message
"James" typed

[...]

Yes, an 8mm spanner size nut is an M5. Ask on UK.rec.models.engineering and
someone will probably pop one in an envelope for you. Can't see an online
bolt supplier wanting to sell you a single nut.
--
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

George August 14th 07 06:40 PM

Need a nut

"James" wrote in message
Does anyone know of a cheap online supplier for nuts ?

Basically I was changing my rear light cluster on my car as some little
idiot decided to smash it. It attached with 3 nuts and using a 8mm socket

get them off. I managed to get 2 of them off and dropped the third into

the
bodywork lost forever!

Now what I'm after is a replacement. I live in a remote area so popping to
local diy stores is a lengthy process so if anyone knows of a online
supplier who would be happy to sell a single nut would be handy ?

I assume its a 8mm nut as I used a 8mm socket to get it out.

... just typical as soon as I get into a diy mood I start losing nuts! ...

was doing so well untill I get all thumbs.

Thanks

You got any old videos knock about? ruage the garage for scrap ites that you
have no longer use for?
If I was a supplier I certainly would not sell just one nut...sheesh! it
would'nt even be worth the hassle thinking about it.

Pete C August 14th 07 07:25 PM

Need a nut

James wrote:
Does anyone know of a cheap online supplier for nuts ?

Basically I was changing my rear light cluster on my car as some little
idiot decided to smash it. It attached with 3 nuts and using a 8mm socket to
get them off. I managed to get 2 of them off and dropped the third into the
bodywork lost forever!

Now what I'm after is a replacement. I live in a remote area so popping to
local diy stores is a lengthy process so if anyone knows of a online
supplier who would be happy to sell a single nut would be handy ?

I assume its a 8mm nut as I used a 8mm socket to get it out.

... just typical as soon as I get into a diy mood I start losing nuts! ... I
was doing so well untill I get all thumbs.

Thanks

Hi,

Try:

http://www.a2stainless.co.uk/M5-Full-Nut-DIN-934-A2_ADQY.aspx

Maybe best to buy 2 or 3... or 10 ;)

cheers,
Pete.

judith August 14th 07 07:35 PM

Need a nut

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 16:58:39 +0100, "James" wrote:

Does anyone know of a cheap online supplier for nuts ?

Basically I was changing my rear light cluster on my car as some little
idiot decided to smash it. It attached with 3 nuts and using a 8mm socket to
get them off. I managed to get 2 of them off and dropped the third into the
bodywork lost forever!

Now what I'm after is a replacement. I live in a remote area so popping to
local diy stores is a lengthy process so if anyone knows of a online
supplier who would be happy to sell a single nut would be handy ?

I assume its a 8mm nut as I used a 8mm socket to get it out.

... just typical as soon as I get into a diy mood I start losing nuts! ... I
was doing so well untill I get all thumbs.

Thanks

ffs - you need to get a life - never mind about a nut.

If you find anywhere who will sell you just one - I suggest you get a
1 inch nail as well just in case you need one in the future.

(On the other hand - if you are a troll - not bad - you got me ;-)

Graham. August 14th 07 07:53 PM

Need a nut

"George" wrote in message
k...

"James" wrote in message
[...]

Sometimes that works the other way around
like the time I was doing a job in a little village somewhere in
Wales and I needed some cable clips for 3 pair telephone wire.
I go a few doors down to the local ironmongers / hardware store
and she had excatly the clips I wanted.
Just one box should do it I said
You want the whole box? was the surprised reply,
I normally sell them at 4p each.
She then proceeded to count the contents of the box.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Dave Plowman (News) August 14th 07 08:01 PM

Need a nut

In article ,
James wrote:
Does anyone know of a cheap online supplier for nuts ?

Basically I was changing my rear light cluster on my car as some little
idiot decided to smash it. It attached with 3 nuts and using a 8mm
socket to get them off. I managed to get 2 of them off and dropped the
third into the bodywork lost forever!

Now what I'm after is a replacement. I live in a remote area so popping
to local diy stores is a lengthy process so if anyone knows of a online
supplier who would be happy to sell a single nut would be handy ?

I assume its a 8mm nut as I used a 8mm socket to get it out.

You buy nuts and bolts by the thread size which isn't the same as the
spanner one. IIRC, you want a 5mm nut.

... just typical as soon as I get into a diy mood I start losing nuts!
... I was doing so well untill I get all thumbs.

You'll pay dearly for this one nut if mail order. Most mail order firms
have a minimum order value and minimum carriage charge, so I'd say you
might be lucky to get one for much less than a tenner or so - Screwfix
price for 1000 including postage.

--
*It sounds like English, but I can't understand a word you're saying.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Dave Plowman (News) August 14th 07 08:03 PM

Need a nut

In article ,
James wrote:
Now what I'm after is a replacement. I live in a remote area so popping
to local diy stores is a lengthy process so if anyone knows of a online
supplier who would be happy to sell a single nut would be handy ?

If you want to contact me (observe spam trap) and send me an SAE I'll
happily give you one. As it were.

--
*Welcome to **** Creek - sorry, we're out of paddles*

James[_4_] August 14th 07 09:01 PM

Need a nut

"Pete C" wrote in message
ups.com...

James wrote:
[...]

Nice one Oete thats exactly what I need!

Top bloke :)

James[_4_] August 14th 07 09:04 PM

Need a nut

"judith" wrote in message
[...]

huh ... I'm not a troll or any other creature that lives under bridges!

Why bother buying a pack of nuts that I will never ever use ? obviously the
link pete gave in his post have a supplier selling just one, must be a
demand. If I bought a pack it would just sit around taking up space and most
likly end up in a bin.

I don't need any nails, besides its hard finding one nail these days ;-p

James[_4_] August 14th 07 09:11 PM

Need a nut

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
James wrote:
Now what I'm after is a replacement. I live in a remote area so popping
to local diy stores is a lengthy process so if anyone knows of a online
supplier who would be happy to sell a single nut would be handy ?

If you want to contact me (observe spam trap) and send me an SAE I'll
happily give you one. As it were.

Thanks for the kind offer but I didn't read further down and ordered from
the link in Petes post.

Thanks anyway though.