DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Non-bathroom light in bathroom (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/210286-non-bathroom-light-bathroom.html)

Martin Pentreath August 9th 07 01:46 PM

Non-bathroom light in bathroom

Hi,

I've just seen this in B&Q:
http://tinyurl.com/2kq895

We need something like this in the bathroom, and I like the styling of
this particular one. However, on the website it doesn't mention
suitability for bathrooms.

What risks am I running by installing it (I'm talking about real
risks, as opposed to a busy-body from the council telling me off)?
It's quite a big room, and it will be well away from the bath.

Cheers!

Martin

Andrew Gabriel August 9th 07 06:57 PM

Non-bathroom light in bathroom

In article . com,
Martin Pentreath writes:
Hi,

I've just seen this in B&Q:
http://tinyurl.com/2kq895

We need something like this in the bathroom, and I like the styling of
this particular one. However, on the website it doesn't mention
suitability for bathrooms.

What risks am I running by installing it (I'm talking about real
risks, as opposed to a busy-body from the council telling me off)?
It's quite a big room, and it will be well away from the bath.

It would be permitted in Zone 3 (greater than 60cm horizonally
from bath and shower) or outside zones (greater than 3m high).
It will require earth bonding to the other bonded metalwork in
the room, and to the earth conductors of any other circuits used
in the room (as well as the lighting circuit, obviously).

--
Andrew Gabriel

Geoff Berrow August 9th 07 07:47 PM

Non-bathroom light in bathroom

Martin Pentreath contained the following:

I've just seen this in B&Q:
http://tinyurl.com/2kq895

That's uncanny! I've had my eye on that one for our bathroom too.

--
Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
It's only Usenet, no one dies.

Martin Pentreath August 10th 07 12:39 AM

On 9 Aug, 19:47, Geoff Berrow wrote:

That's uncanny! I've had my eye on that one for our bathroom
too.

I put mine up this evening - I recommend it! Very stylish for 45 quid.
I've got it pointing at the mirror above the basin for the benefit of
laydees painting their faces (and me shaving mine). 200 watts is
probably a bit too bright to be honest, I've just come in from a
couple of drinks and it's fair given me a headache, I think I'll
change to 50 watt bulbs to 35 watt ones. I like it so much I'm
planning on getting one for the kitchen.

Cheers!

Martin

Geoff Berrow August 10th 07 12:51 AM

Non-bathroom light in bathroom

Martin Pentreath contained the following:

I put mine up this evening - I recommend it! Very stylish for 45 quid.
I've got it pointing at the mirror above the basin for the benefit of
laydees painting their faces (and me shaving mine). 200 watts is
probably a bit too bright to be honest, I've just come in from a
couple of drinks and it's fair given me a headache, I think I'll
change to 50 watt bulbs to 35 watt ones. I like it so much I'm
planning on getting one for the kitchen.

Yes, I've just put 7 downlighters in a kitchen and that's a tad bright
too. Though rather than replace the bulbs, I think I'll just add a
dimmer.

Lurch August 10th 07 10:16 AM

Non-bathroom light in bathroom

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 16:39:28 -0700, Martin Pentreath
mused:

On 9 Aug, 19:47, Geoff Berrow wrote:

That's uncanny! I've had my eye on that one for our bathroom
too.

I put mine up this evening - I recommend it! Very stylish for 45 quid.
I've got it pointing at the mirror above the basin for the benefit of
laydees painting their faces (and me shaving mine). 200 watts is
probably a bit too bright to be honest, I've just come in from a
couple of drinks and it's fair given me a headache, I think I'll
change to 50 watt bulbs to 35 watt ones.

I always prefer to fit dimmers so when you want it brighter you can
have it brighter. You can get a dimable ullswitch or you could move
the switch to outside the bathroom and use a normal dimmer.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

dennis@home August 10th 07 11:34 AM

Non-bathroom light in bathroom

"Martin Pentreath" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

I've just seen this in B&Q:
http://tinyurl.com/2kq895

We need something like this in the bathroom, and I like the styling of
this particular one. However, on the website it doesn't mention
suitability for bathrooms.

What risks am I running by installing it (I'm talking about real
risks, as opposed to a busy-body from the council telling me off)?
It's quite a big room, and it will be well away from the bath.

Do GU10 lamps shatter into hot bits of glass if you splash them?
That is the biggest risk for lamps in bathrooms IMO.
That and getting hit by someone swinging a towel a bit enthusiastically
(been there, done that, healing nicely)