DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Exterior door lintel (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/210024-exterior-door-lintel.html)

Chris August 7th 07 03:21 PM

Exterior door lintel

Hi
I am researching putting a 900mm exterior door into bungalow
supporting wall. Got lots of info on planning regulations and the use
of Acro's etc but not much on the Lintels. Do I need an expensive RSJ
or will some ordinary 70mm square steel box section do?

Chris

Tony Bryer August 7th 07 04:26 PM

Exterior door lintel

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 07:21:59 -0700 Chris wrote :
I am researching putting a 900mm exterior door into bungalow
supporting wall. Got lots of info on planning regulations and the use
of Acro's etc but not much on the Lintels. Do I need an expensive RSJ
or will some ordinary 70mm square steel box section do?

You need a suitable lintel, Catnic or similar, 1200mm long to give 150mm
bearing either end. Ordinary steel box section is likely to rust over time
giving major problems.

Chris August 8th 07 08:35 AM

Exterior door lintel

On 7 Aug, 16:26, Tony Bryer wrote:
On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 07:21:59 -0700 Chris wrote :

I am researching putting a 900mm exterior door into bungalow
supporting wall. Got lots of info on planning regulations and the use
of Acro's etc but not much on the Lintels. Do I need an expensive RSJ
or will some ordinary 70mm square steel box section do?

You need a suitable lintel, Catnic or similar, 1200mm long to give 150mm
bearing either end. Ordinary steel box section is likely to rust over time
giving major problems.

Hi
Thanks for the info

Chris