Rich

Default Stop cock leaking

I have an outside toilet with the water main coming up through the concrete
floor, this is black plastic with an outside dia of about 3/4 of an inch, it
then goes on to the stop cock and then to a piece of copper pipe with a
compression fitting, but this leaks like mad!!!!!!! the compression fitting
on the out going side of the stop cock does not seem to be a proper
compression fitting, I think it has been bodged to fit, so what I would like
to know is if I remove the stop cock, what new stop cock can I fit which
will fit the old black plastic water main and allow me to use some 15mm
copper to the toilet??

Richard

Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

....wear incontinence pants or a laccy band.

Si

p.s. Sorry

Andy Hall

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 19:06:25 +0100, "Rich"
wrote:

I have an outside toilet with the water main coming up through the concrete
floor, this is black plastic with an outside dia of about 3/4 of an inch, it
then goes on to the stop cock and then to a piece of copper pipe with a
compression fitting, but this leaks like mad!!!!!!! the compression fitting
on the out going side of the stop cock does not seem to be a proper
compression fitting, I think it has been bodged to fit, so what I would like
to know is if I remove the stop cock, what new stop cock can I fit which
will fit the old black plastic water main and allow me to use some 15mm
copper to the toilet??

Richard

Condom? :-)

Sorry for that, couldn't resist.

Normally plastic water pipe is blue, so this is either a few years
old, or it could be an agricultural type. I had that in a previous
house.

You need to replace the stopcock anyway. Try to measure the
diameter of the pipe accurately and then check with a plumber's
merchant or even look yourself in a DIY store. If the size is not
quite right, then this could be agricultural pipe and the stopcock
should be available from a supplier of agricultural irrigation
equipment.

On the output side you should have a 22mm compression fitting, and you
can run in copper from there.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Zipadee Doodar

"Dave Baker" wrote in message
Subject: Stop cock leaking

perhaps you should see a doctor.

Zipadee Doodar

"Dave Baker" wrote in message

perhaps you should see a doctor.

BigWallop

"Rich" wrote in message
I have an outside toilet with the water main coming up through the

concrete
floor, this is black plastic with an outside dia of about 3/4 of an inch,

it
then goes on to the stop cock and then to a piece of copper pipe with a
compression fitting, but this leaks like mad!!!!!!! the compression

fitting
on the out going side of the stop cock does not seem to be a proper
compression fitting, I think it has been bodged to fit, so what I would

like
to know is if I remove the stop cock, what new stop cock can I fit which
will fit the old black plastic water main and allow me to use some 15mm
copper to the toilet??

Richard

The plastic pipe to the stopcock is OK but the stopcock to copper is leaking
? You don't think it is a proper compression fitting ? What does it look
like ?

Does the stopcock look anything like this ?

http://tinyurl.com/o5sq

Has it been tightened to much and cut into the copper pipe ?

Does the plastic pipe have a metal liner to stop it compressing when it is
squashed by a compression fitting ?

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

OldScrawn

The "underground" stuff may be 20 or 25 mm, if so you should be able to get
fittings to copper at farm supplies shop. They are bulky but the really good
thing about them is that they are designed to be connected up without
isolation, unlike "domestic" stuff. They have O ring seals, with plastic to
plastic you seem to get away without putting in the "insert" to support the
pipe.

Also available from www.bes.ltd
sro

"StealthUK" wrote in message
om...
There is a black outside water pipe used at my fathers house as well.
I think they were used around the 60's onwards. Incoming I think you
can use 22mm fittings with it.

Hang on theres a joke in the title..................no, cant think of it,
bugger.........