DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Removing bitumen (?) paint from bricks (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/209159-removing-bitumen-paint-bricks.html)

nafuk August 3rd 07 10:36 AM

Removing bitumen (?) paint from bricks

Hi, I've built an extension and an outside wall is now inside. I want
to paint the wall white. The wall has been painted by the previous
owners with some thick black bitumen paint.

Trying to remove some using a wire brush on a drill or a 4" grinder
does remove some of it but leaves a smear that can be removed quite
well with a rag and some petrol!

There is a quite alot of this wall so:
do I need to remove this stuffbefore painting?
if I do, is there a quicker/better way than wire brushing?

Thank you

Stuart Noble August 3rd 07 02:32 PM

nafuk wrote:
Hi, I've built an extension and an outside wall is now inside. I want
to paint the wall white. The wall has been painted by the previous
owners with some thick black bitumen paint.

Trying to remove some using a wire brush on a drill or a 4" grinder
does remove some of it but leaves a smear that can be removed quite
well with a rag and some petrol!

There is a quite alot of this wall so:
do I need to remove this stuffbefore painting?
if I do, is there a quicker/better way than wire brushing?

Thank you

Job from hell. Nitromors type strippers work well, and aren't that dear
if you buy in bulk from a trade supplier, but the fumes will kill you
indoors.
ISTR that pliolite paints have reasonable adhesion to bitumen but you'd
need to check with
http://www.johnstonestrade.com/
or similar.

[email protected] August 3rd 07 05:47 PM

On 3 Aug, 10:36, nafuk wrote:

Hi, I've built an extension and an outside wall is now inside. I want
to paint the wall white. The wall has been painted by the previous
owners with some thick black bitumen paint.

Trying to remove some using a wire brush on a drill or a 4" grinder
does remove some of it but leaves a smear that can be removed quite
well with a rag and some petrol!

There is a quite alot of this wall so:
do I need to remove this stuffbefore painting?
if I do, is there a quicker/better way than wire brushing?

Thank you

Almost nothing sticks to bitumen, so you need to either remove it or
blind it. Paraffin dissolves it, so if you can wipe it off ok then
paraffin's your thing.

NT

George August 3rd 07 05:55 PM

Removing bitumen (?) paint from bricks

"nafuk" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi, I've built an extension and an outside wall is now inside. I want
to paint the wall white. The wall has been painted by the previous
owners with some thick black bitumen paint.

Trying to remove some using a wire brush on a drill or a 4" grinder
does remove some of it but leaves a smear that can be removed quite
well with a rag and some petrol!

There is a quite alot of this wall so:
do I need to remove this stuffbefore painting?
if I do, is there a quicker/better way than wire brushing?

Thank you

Coat the stuff in paraffin and immediatly use a power washer on it,you might
have to repeat the process a couple of times but it takes the pain out of
doing it rigoressly.

Stuart Noble August 3rd 07 06:48 PM

Removing bitumen (?) paint from bricks

George wrote:
"nafuk" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi, I've built an extension and an outside wall is now inside. I want
to paint the wall white. The wall has been painted by the previous
owners with some thick black bitumen paint.

Trying to remove some using a wire brush on a drill or a 4" grinder
does remove some of it but leaves a smear that can be removed quite
well with a rag and some petrol!

There is a quite alot of this wall so:
do I need to remove this stuffbefore painting?
if I do, is there a quicker/better way than wire brushing?

Thank you

Coat the stuff in paraffin and immediatly use a power washer on it,you might
have to repeat the process a couple of times but it takes the pain out of
doing it rigoressly.

Should be fun indoors

George August 3rd 07 06:53 PM

Removing bitumen (?) paint from bricks

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
George wrote:
"nafuk" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi, I've built an extension and an outside wall is now inside. I want
to paint the wall white. The wall has been painted by the previous
owners with some thick black bitumen paint.

Trying to remove some using a wire brush on a drill or a 4" grinder
does remove some of it but leaves a smear that can be removed quite
well with a rag and some petrol!

There is a quite alot of this wall so:
do I need to remove this stuffbefore painting?
if I do, is there a quicker/better way than wire brushing?

Thank you

Coat the stuff in paraffin and immediatly use a power washer on it,you

might
have to repeat the process a couple of times but it takes the pain out

of
doing it rigoressly.

Should be fun indoors

I'm going on the assumption of as he has just built the extension it will be
still the barebones of concrete floor and bricks and mortar. :-P

Stuart Noble August 3rd 07 07:39 PM

George wrote:
"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
George wrote:
"nafuk" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Hope so. It's going to get quite messy by the sound of it :-)
I once stripped a whole gable end wall with paint stripper (15 litres in
all IIRC), which was much faster and easier than I thought. The paint
came off cleanly in 4" strips and could just be swept up dry at the end
of the day.

nafuk August 5th 07 05:05 PM

On 3 Aug, 19:39, Stuart Noble wrote:
George wrote:
"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
George wrote:
"nafuk" wrote in message
groups.com...
[...]

Thank you for the replies. It is still bare bones. Does anyone know if
there is a paint stripper that will deal with bitumen paint? Otherwise
it the angle grinder wire brush and paraffin, and a lot of time.
Cheers

Stuart Noble August 5th 07 06:54 PM

George wrote:
"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
George wrote:
"nafuk" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Any stripper in a metal can should do it. Whether it will lift in quite
the same way paint does I'm not sure. Get a small can from one of the
sheds and try it.

The Natural Philosopher August 5th 07 11:56 PM

George wrote:
"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
George wrote:
"nafuk" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Pressure washer?

plasterken August 17th 16 01:14 AM

Removing bitumen (?) paint from bricks

replying to nafuk, plasterken wrote:
diesel oil melts it, then use low odour white spirits to mop up ( when diesel
is spilt on roads it turns it to sugar effect a0

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...ks-414302-.htm

harry August 17th 16 08:01 AM

On Friday, 3 August 2007 10:36:09 UTC+1, nafuk wrote:
Hi, I've built an extension and an outside wall is now inside. I want
to paint the wall white. The wall has been painted by the previous
owners with some thick black bitumen paint.

Trying to remove some using a wire brush on a drill or a 4" grinder
does remove some of it but leaves a smear that can be removed quite
well with a rag and some petrol!

There is a quite alot of this wall so:
do I need to remove this stuffbefore painting?
if I do, is there a quicker/better way than wire brushing?

Thank you

Hire a sand blaster.

[email protected] August 17th 16 11:41 AM

On Wednesday, 17 August 2016 01:14:03 UTC+1, plasterken wrote:
replying to nafuk, plasterken wrote:
diesel oil melts it, then use low odour white spirits to mop up ( when diesel
is spilt on roads it turns it to sugar effect a0

I suspect after 9 years he wouldn't need this advice.
Do yourself a favour:
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Home_owners_hub

NT

Heather[_5_] August 31st 17 05:14 PM

Removing bitumen (?) paint from bricks

replying to tabbypurr, Heather wrote:
No but I did thanks

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ks-414302-.htm

Brian Gaff August 31st 17 07:05 PM

Removing bitumen (?) paint from bricks

huh?
Good old home shower fclub foot and its lack of quoting and dodgy dating
strikes again.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Heather" m wrote in
message ...

[email protected] September 1st 17 01:29 AM

On Thursday, 31 August 2017 17:14:06 UTC+1, Heather wrote:
replying to tabbypurr, Heather wrote:
No but I did thanks

This is uk.d-i-y. Get here via a sane portal, for your own sake.

NT

Ami February 23rd 19 10:14 PM

Removing bitumen (?) paint from bricks

replying to Stuart Noble, Ami wrote:
What kind of paint stripper did you use please?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ks-414302-.htm