DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Flooded Floor Void (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/207552-flooded-floor-void.html)

[email protected] July 20th 07 05:42 PM

Flooded Floor Void

During today's rain my garden flooded (which isn't rare as it's on
clay) and so did the street outside for a while. When we lifted the
hatch to look at the floor void under the ground floor it had a couple
of cms of water in (now gone). This was 3 hours after the rain
finished - so there was probably a fair bit more earlier.

The house is a 90 year old, brick built semi, in south London. The
floor void is about 2 feet high & the bottom appears to be made of
some kind of compacted surface (it's very dusty/sandy). There is
cabling for a ring main in the void as well as CH pipework, but the
electrics seem fine.

Is there anything I should do to help everything dry properly or to
check for damage? Anything that I should do in the longer run (apart
from trying to raise the cabling).

Thanks,

Michael

Stuart Noble July 20th 07 06:53 PM

Flooded Floor Void

wrote:
During today's rain my garden flooded (which isn't rare as it's on
clay) and so did the street outside for a while. When we lifted the
hatch to look at the floor void under the ground floor it had a couple
of cms of water in (now gone). This was 3 hours after the rain
finished - so there was probably a fair bit more earlier.

The house is a 90 year old, brick built semi, in south London. The
floor void is about 2 feet high & the bottom appears to be made of
some kind of compacted surface (it's very dusty/sandy). There is
cabling for a ring main in the void as well as CH pipework, but the
electrics seem fine.

Is there anything I should do to help everything dry properly or to
check for damage? Anything that I should do in the longer run (apart
from trying to raise the cabling).

Thanks,

Michael

I expect it's often been like that over the 90 years. It's just that you
lifted the hatch this time :-)

Stuart Noble July 20th 07 07:00 PM

Flooded Floor Void

Owain wrote:
wrote:
Is there anything I should do to help everything dry properly or to
check for damage?

Ventilation.

If you can lift boards in a couple of places and put a fan under there
to get a through draught that will help dry the space out.

Air bricks and the wind outside are normally sufficient.

Owain

nightjar July 21st 07 11:16 AM

Flooded Floor Void

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
[...]

In one house we had, it used to happen every spring high tide. The house had
been around for a century before we bought it and there were no detectable
ill effects..

Colin Bignell

[email protected] July 21st 07 05:32 PM

Flooded Floor Void

On 21 Jul, 11:16, "nightjar" nightjar@insert my surname
here.uk.com wrote:
"Stuart Noble" wrote in message

clay) and so did the street outside for a while. When we lifted the
hatch to look at the floor void under the ground floor it had a couple
of cms of water in (now gone). This was 3 hours after the rain
finished - so there was probably a fair bit more earlier.

The house is a 90 year old, brick built semi, in south London. The
floor void is about 2 feet high & the bottom

I expect it's often been like that over the 90 years. It's just that you
lifted the hatch this time :-)

In one house we had, it used to happen every spring high tide. The house had
been around for a century before we bought it and there were no detectable
ill effects..

yes, as long as it drains away ok, and youve got airbricks that arent
blocked, it should dry itself fine.

NT