DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Best way to secure a wooden gate in a 1.8m garden fence (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/206901-best-way-secure-wooden-gate-1-8m-garden-fence.html)

John E July 19th 07 03:16 PM

Best way to secure a wooden gate in a 1.8m garden fence

I have two garden gates (both 1.8m high in wooden fences). Neither of them
are secured with a lockable device, but I think the time has come to improve
garden security, now that I have a few plants and garden furniture which
might appear to be worth nicking.

I visited 'the sheds' today, and it appears that the options are a hasp and
staple with a padlock, or a Brenton bolt (or maybe a padbolt) with a
padlock.

What are the pros and cons of the alternatives?

John.

The Medway Handyman July 19th 07 08:47 PM

John E wrote:
I have two garden gates (both 1.8m high in wooden fences). Neither of
them are secured with a lockable device, but I think the time has
come to improve garden security, now that I have a few plants and
garden furniture which might appear to be worth nicking.

I visited 'the sheds' today, and it appears that the options are a
hasp and staple with a padlock, or a Brenton bolt (or maybe a
padbolt) with a padlock.

What are the pros and cons of the alternatives?

I'd say a hasp & staple & padlock. Wickes do a very good value shed/gate
locking kit for £8 http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/159677

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman