DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Unsticking Velcro (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/206719-unsticking-velcro.html)

Timothy Murphy July 17th 07 12:33 PM

Unsticking Velcro

I have a large but light (5kg) mirror with a wooden frame
which I'm intending to attach to a tiled wall in the bathroom.
using Velcro heavy duty tape.

I'm just wondering - if at some point I want to remove the tape,
will that be reasonably easy?
Is there any chemical one can use for this purpose?

Any suggestions or advice gratefully received.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie

Andy Hall July 17th 07 01:08 PM

Unsticking Velcro

On 2007-07-17 12:33:54 +0100, Timothy Murphy said:

I have a large but light (5kg) mirror with a wooden frame
which I'm intending to attach to a tiled wall in the bathroom.
using Velcro heavy duty tape.

I'm just wondering - if at some point I want to remove the tape,
will that be reasonably easy?
Is there any chemical one can use for this purpose?

Any suggestions or advice gratefully received.

Orange oil based sticky stuff remover works.

R July 18th 07 06:57 AM

Unsticking Velcro

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
I have a large but light (5kg) mirror with a wooden frame
which I'm intending to attach to a tiled wall in the bathroom.
using Velcro heavy duty tape.

I'm just wondering - if at some point I want to remove the tape,
will that be reasonably easy?
Is there any chemical one can use for this purpose?

Any suggestions or advice gratefully received.

Warm it with hair dryer then pull gently

Dave Plowman (News) July 19th 07 09:50 AM

Unsticking Velcro

In article ,
Timothy Murphy wrote:
I have a large but light (5kg) mirror with a wooden frame
which I'm intending to attach to a tiled wall in the bathroom.
using Velcro heavy duty tape.

I'm just wondering - if at some point I want to remove the tape,
will that be reasonably easy?
Is there any chemical one can use for this purpose?

Any suggestions or advice gratefully received.

Usually not a problem - velcro is mostly stronger than the glue.

--
*I get enough exercise just pushing my luck.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

S Viemeister July 19th 07 02:18 PM

Unsticking Velcro

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Timothy Murphy wrote:

I have a large but light (5kg) mirror with a wooden frame
which I'm intending to attach to a tiled wall in the bathroom.
using Velcro heavy duty tape.

I'm just wondering - if at some point I want to remove the tape,
will that be reasonably easy?
Is there any chemical one can use for this purpose?

Any suggestions or advice gratefully received.

Usually not a problem - velcro is mostly stronger than the glue.

The problem for me, is that the velcro comes away, but much of the glue
remains.

Dave Plowman (News) July 19th 07 02:36 PM

Unsticking Velcro

In article ,
S Viemeister wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Timothy Murphy wrote:

I have a large but light (5kg) mirror with a wooden frame
which I'm intending to attach to a tiled wall in the bathroom.
using Velcro heavy duty tape.

I'm just wondering - if at some point I want to remove the tape,
will that be reasonably easy?
Is there any chemical one can use for this purpose?

Any suggestions or advice gratefully received.

Usually not a problem - velcro is mostly stronger than the glue.

The problem for me, is that the velcro comes away, but much of the glue
remains.

Yup. But if it's on tiles should be easier than some surfaces to remove
from. Evostick solvent works for most rubber based glues.

--
*Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot.

S Viemeister July 19th 07 02:41 PM

Unsticking Velcro

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
S Viemeister wrote:
The problem for me, is that the velcro comes away, but much of the glue
remains.

Yup. But if it's on tiles should be easier than some surfaces to remove
from. Evostick solvent works for most rubber based glues.

How is it on white plasticky window frames?

Dave Plowman (News) July 19th 07 04:59 PM

Unsticking Velcro

In article ,
S Viemeister wrote:
Yup. But if it's on tiles should be easier than some surfaces to remove
from. Evostick solvent works for most rubber based glues.

How is it on white plasticky window frames?

Hmm. Dunno. I'd try it on a bit of scrap drainpipe first.

--
*42.7% of statistics are made up. Sorry, that should read 47.2% *

S Viemeister July 19th 07 05:19 PM

Unsticking Velcro

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
S Viemeister wrote:

Yup. But if it's on tiles should be easier than some surfaces to remove
from. Evostick solvent works for most rubber based glues.

How is it on white plasticky window frames?

Hmm. Dunno. I'd try it on a bit of scrap drainpipe first.

Good idea.