DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   chromium plating 6 latch plates - where? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/205728-chromium-plating-6-latch-plates-where.html)

RobertL July 6th 07 10:40 PM

chromium plating 6 latch plates - where?

We replaced the old and worn "Union" internal door latches in our
hosue with new ones, also made by Union. The mechanisms swaped in
nicely, but Union have changed the design of the striker plates. The
older 'bent rectangle' has been replaed by something with a narrower T
where the latch first strikes it. Union don't offer the old shape
any more and coul dnot suggest a source. Our doors have been chiseled
to take the old style plates of course.

We wondered if we could get the old plates chromium plated afresh, but
we found that there is typically a £50 minimum charge for doing this
by the larger comanies

Does anyone happen know of somehere, probably a small back yard
company, that would do 6 plates more cheaply than £50?

Robert

The Natural Philosopher July 6th 07 11:20 PM

RobertL wrote:
We replaced the old and worn "Union" internal door latches in our
hosue with new ones, also made by Union. The mechanisms swaped in
nicely, but Union have changed the design of the striker plates. The
older 'bent rectangle' has been replaed by something with a narrower T
where the latch first strikes it. Union don't offer the old shape
any more and coul dnot suggest a source. Our doors have been chiseled
to take the old style plates of course.

We wondered if we could get the old plates chromium plated afresh, but
we found that there is typically a £50 minimum charge for doing this
by the larger comanies

Does anyone happen know of somehere, probably a small back yard
company, that would do 6 plates more cheaply than £50?

Robert

Pay the money..loads of places do chrome plating for motorbike bits.

If you look in yellow pages etc for local elecroplaters, just phone
around wand with luck they will pop them in with a batch off something else.

John July 7th 07 06:48 AM

chromium plating 6 latch plates - where?

Try the uk.rec.motorcycles.classic group and search for chroming. It's
been mentioned a few times with various recomendations.

John

raden July 8th 07 07:52 PM

chromium plating 6 latch plates - where?

In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes
RobertL wrote:
[...]

Not as common as you might think after the new EU regulations came in

--
geoff