DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Joining Timber (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/205459-joining-timber.html)

The Medway Handyman July 4th 07 12:28 AM

Joining Timber

Best way to do end to end joints in 4 x 2 ? In other words to make 2 x
2.4's into a 4.8 ish length.

I was thinking either lap joint & glue & bolts or those spiky washer
things - joint doesn't have to be in line, just resist deflection. Timber
on edge.

Any thoughts?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Andy Hall July 4th 07 12:38 AM

Joining Timber

On 2007-07-03 23:28:28 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Best way to do end to end joints in 4 x 2 ? In other words to make 2 x
2.4's into a 4.8 ish length.

I was thinking either lap joint & glue & bolts or those spiky washer
things - joint doesn't have to be in line, just resist deflection. Timber
on edge.

Any thoughts?

Umm....

Buy a 5.4m length and cut it down?

What's the application? Will the joint be on show?

The Medway Handyman July 4th 07 12:42 AM

Joining Timber

On 2007-07-03 23:28:28 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Best way to do end to end joints in 4 x 2 ? In other words to make
2 x 2.4's into a 4.8 ish length.

I was thinking either lap joint & glue & bolts or those spiky washer
things - joint doesn't have to be in line, just resist deflection. Timber
on edge.

Any thoughts?

Umm....

Buy a 5.4m length and cut it down?

Twas just an example! I need to join to get to 9+ metres.

What's the application? Will the joint be on show?

Bearer for deck - never be seen - ugly no problem!

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Frank Erskine July 4th 07 12:50 AM

Joining Timber

On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 23:28:28 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Best way to do end to end joints in 4 x 2 ? In other words to make 2 x
2.4's into a 4.8 ish length.

I was thinking either lap joint & glue & bolts or those spiky washer
things - joint doesn't have to be in line, just resist deflection. Timber
on edge.

Any thoughts?

A scarf joint sounds appropriate, using plenty of glue and a few nuts
'n' bolts.
You will lose a bit of length though, because of the overlap.
It was good enough lots of years ago for extending telegraph poles,
and there's a fair bit of stress on them...

--
Frank Erskine

Andy Hall July 4th 07 12:52 AM

Joining Timber

On 2007-07-03 23:42:54 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"

On 2007-07-03 23:28:28 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Best way to do end to end joints in 4 x 2 ? In other words to make
2 x 2.4's into a 4.8 ish length.

I was thinking either lap joint & glue & bolts or those spiky washer
things - joint doesn't have to be in line, just resist deflection. Timber
on edge.

Any thoughts?

Umm....

Buy a 5.4m length and cut it down?

Twas just an example! I need to join to get to 9+ metres.

What's the application? Will the joint be on show?

Bearer for deck - never be seen - ugly no problem!

I assume that the cross sectional dimensions would be more as well :-)

I would have thought something like bracing pieces of (say) 1m bolted
through with long coach bolts and the pieces glued with PU glue.
Plane off the treated area for the glued faces.

[email protected] July 4th 07 01:04 AM

Joining Timber

Fancy would be one of the many variations in scarph joints, but these
often need to be hand cut and take practice.

Assuming you're using the timber as an edge beam, a long vertical lap-
joint with lots of bolts and big washers is probably the simpler
solution

Lurch July 4th 07 01:24 AM

Joining Timber

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 23:50:50 +0100, Frank Erskine
mused:

wrote:

Best way to do end to end joints in 4 x 2 ? In other words to make 2 x
2.4's into a 4.8 ish length.

I was thinking either lap joint & glue & bolts or those spiky washer
things - joint doesn't have to be in line, just resist deflection. Timber
on edge.

Any thoughts?

A scarf joint sounds appropriate, using plenty of glue and a few nuts
'n' bolts.

Scarf joint was my first thought. I assume this bearer is going to
have intermediate support though?
--
Regards,
Stuart.

The Medway Handyman July 4th 07 01:34 AM

Joining Timber

On 2007-07-03 23:42:54 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"

On 2007-07-03 23:28:28 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Best way to do end to end joints in 4 x 2 ? In other words to make
2 x 2.4's into a 4.8 ish length.

I was thinking either lap joint & glue & bolts or those spiky
washer things - joint doesn't have to be in line, just resist
deflection. Timber on edge.

Any thoughts?

Umm....

Buy a 5.4m length and cut it down?

Twas just an example! I need to join to get to 9+ metres.

What's the application? Will the joint be on show?

Bearer for deck - never be seen - ugly no problem!

I assume that the cross sectional dimensions would be more as well :-)

In this case no. 4 x 2 is the only size that will fit under the door
thresholds, so extra supports will be used.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

The Medway Handyman July 4th 07 01:35 AM

Joining Timber

wrote:

Best way to do end to end joints in 4 x 2 ? In other words to make
2 x
2.4's into a 4.8 ish length.

I was thinking either lap joint & glue & bolts or those spiky washer
things - joint doesn't have to be in line, just resist deflection.
Timber on edge.

Any thoughts?

A scarf joint sounds appropriate, using plenty of glue and a few nuts
'n' bolts.
You will lose a bit of length though, because of the overlap.
It was good enough lots of years ago for extending telegraph poles,
and there's a fair bit of stress on them...

That was my first thought - telgraph poles? Good enough for
them...............

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

The Medway Handyman July 4th 07 01:37 AM

Joining Timber

wrote:

Best way to do end to end joints in 4 x 2 ? In other words to make
2 x
2.4's into a 4.8 ish length.

I was thinking either lap joint & glue & bolts or those spiky washer
things - joint doesn't have to be in line, just resist deflection.
Timber on edge.

Any thoughts?

A scarf joint sounds appropriate, using plenty of glue and a few nuts
'n' bolts.

Scarf joint was my first thought. I assume this bearer is going to
have intermediate support though?

Oh yes! Many!

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

John Rumm July 4th 07 02:03 AM

Joining Timber

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Best way to do end to end joints in 4 x 2 ? In other words to make 2 x
2.4's into a 4.8 ish length.

I was thinking either lap joint & glue & bolts or those spiky washer
things - joint doesn't have to be in line, just resist deflection. Timber
on edge.

lap and timber connectors would work and probably be more than adequate
for a deck.

Alternatively a longish scarf joint, with bolts through the verticals.
(Same technique as can be used to extend a ridge beam in a roof).

You can either do the simple one with a 1 in 8 to 1 in 10 slope on the
timber, glued up and bolts either vertical (or drilled at an angle so as
to be perpendicular to the scarf).

(counter sink the nut and bolt if you want a flat profile):

B B
----------------------------------
/
/
/
--------/-------------------------
B B

(bolts at B)

The stronger one, uses a profile like:
________________________________
\
/
/
/
________ \_____________________

The sloped cut is the same, but does a 90 degree turn a little way in
from each edge on top and bottom. Once glued and bolted this is better
at transferring the bending moment into compressive forces on the top of
the joist, and reduces the shear loading on the glue line.

The first is easy to cut on a SCMS, the latter requires a stopped cut so
is best done with a handsaw or a decent jigsaw. (you cut it in three
goes - the slope from one side to the change in direction at the other
edge, then the cut from the far edge to meet the slope, and finally trim
off the sharp point).

--
Cheers,

John.

Matty F July 4th 07 05:39 AM

Joining Timber

On Jul 4, 10:28 am, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
Best way to do end to end joints in 4 x 2 ? In other words to make 2 x
2.4's into a 4.8 ish length.

I was thinking either lap joint & glue & bolts or those spiky washer
things - joint doesn't have to be in line, just resist deflection. Timber
on edge.

Drill two 12" holes down each piece and Araldite two pieces of 24" D12
reinforcing steel into the holes.

[email protected] July 4th 07 01:38 PM

Joining Timber

On 3 Jul, 23:28, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
Best way to do end to end joints in 4 x 2 ? In other words to make 2 x
2.4's into a 4.8 ish length.

I was thinking either lap joint & glue & bolts or those spiky washer
things - joint doesn't have to be in line, just resist deflection. Timber
on edge.

Any thoughts?

--
Dave
The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

Place a short piece, say 1metre, alongside the two that you want to
join so that it overlaps the joint by 0.5 metre each side and then
glue and screw the short piece to the two long pieces. OK, at the
joint area you will have a piece of wood that is 4" x 4". Plenty of
PVA glue over the joint area before you screw the lot together. When
that sets you can even back the screws out and then try and break the
joint by jumping on it.

Chris.

Stuart Noble July 4th 07 02:32 PM

Joining Timber

wrote:
Best way to do end to end joints in 4 x 2 ? In other words to make 2 x
2.4's into a 4.8 ish length.

I was thinking either lap joint & glue & bolts or those spiky washer
things - joint doesn't have to be in line, just resist deflection. Timber
on edge.

Drill two 12" holes down each piece and Araldite two pieces of 24" D12
reinforcing steel into the holes.

Your drilling would need to be so accurate that I'd rule it out for an
on-site situation

dennis@home July 4th 07 06:07 PM

Joining Timber

On 2007-07-03 23:28:28 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Best way to do end to end joints in 4 x 2 ? In other words to make
2 x 2.4's into a 4.8 ish length.

I was thinking either lap joint & glue & bolts or those spiky washer
things - joint doesn't have to be in line, just resist deflection.
Timber on edge.

Any thoughts?

Umm....

Buy a 5.4m length and cut it down?

Twas just an example! I need to join to get to 9+ metres.

What's the application? Will the joint be on show?

Bearer for deck - never be seen - ugly no problem!

Just lap them above a support.
No need for any extra glue if they are not load bearing in any way.
If you are worried that the screws will not be in-line then butt them and
screw a strip either side.

Arthur2 July 4th 07 11:03 PM

Joining Timber

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Best way to do end to end joints in 4 x 2 ? In other words to make 2 x
2.4's into a 4.8 ish length.

I was thinking either lap joint & glue & bolts or those spiky washer
things - joint doesn't have to be in line, just resist deflection. Timber
on edge.

Any thoughts?

Have you thought about using a 3.5m long nail?

:)

The Medway Handyman July 4th 07 11:38 PM

Joining Timber

Arthur2 wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message ...
Best way to do end to end joints in 4 x 2 ? In other words to make
2 x 2.4's into a 4.8 ish length.

I was thinking either lap joint & glue & bolts or those spiky washer
things - joint doesn't have to be in line, just resist deflection. Timber
on edge.

Any thoughts?

Have you thought about using a 3.5m long nail?

:)

Doh! Why didn't I think of that? Do Screwfix do them?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Arthur2 July 5th 07 01:01 AM

Joining Timber

Arthur2 wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message ...
Best way to do end to end joints in 4 x 2 ? In other words to make
2 x 2.4's into a 4.8 ish length.

I was thinking either lap joint & glue & bolts or those spiky washer
things - joint doesn't have to be in line, just resist deflection.
Timber on edge.

Any thoughts?

Have you thought about using a 3.5m long nail?

:)

Doh! Why didn't I think of that? Do Screwfix do them?

Nope but they have a subsidiary company...try
http://www.screewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww... xxxxxxx.co.uk

The Medway Handyman July 5th 07 01:06 AM

Joining Timber

Arthur2 wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message ...
Best way to do end to end joints in 4 x 2 ? In other words to make
2 x 2.4's into a 4.8 ish length.

I was thinking either lap joint & glue & bolts or those spiky
washer things - joint doesn't have to be in line, just resist
deflection. Timber on edge.

Any thoughts?

Have you thought about using a 3.5m long nail?

:)

Doh! Why didn't I think of that? Do Screwfix do them?

Nope but they have a subsidiary company...try
http://www.screewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww... xxxxxxx.co.uk

LOL!

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Arthur 51 July 5th 07 12:36 PM

Joining Timber

Arthur2 wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
Best way to do end to end joints in 4 x 2 ? In other words to make
2 x 2.4's into a 4.8 ish length.

I was thinking either lap joint & glue & bolts or those spiky
washer things - joint doesn't have to be in line, just resist
deflection. Timber on edge.

Any thoughts?

Have you thought about using a 3.5m long nail?

:)

Doh! Why didn't I think of that? Do Screwfix do them?

Nope but they have a subsidiary company...try
http://www.screewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...ffffffffffffff...

LOL!

--
Dave
The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

Which begs the question. Well I think it does anyway.
What size hammer would be needed to belt in a 2.5m long nail.
I am guessing that the hammer head would need to be about the same
size
as row of five 3 story terraced houses. But this is obviously not
based on scientific analysis.

Arthur