DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Painting ? - water based paint over oil based (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/205030-painting-water-based-paint-over-oil-based.html)

DavidM June 28th 07 04:41 PM

Painting ? - water based paint over oil based

I've got some bedroom doors which I've primed, and then undercoated with
Dulux Trade Undercoat. The coverage is good (though I've deliberately kept a
slight grained finish). We have some visitors staying this weekend and SWMBO
wants them finished off tomorrow! To minimise the smell I was thinking of
using Dulux Quick Drying Satinwood, which is a water based paint (I think).
Am I likely to have any problems putting a water based top coat onto an oil
based undercoat (which went on Tuesday, so it is dry)? Will I get away with
one coat (only have time for one coat tomorrow)?
Thanks for any advice.
David

Rob Horton June 29th 07 09:15 AM

DavidM wrote:
I've got some bedroom doors which I've primed, and then undercoated with
Dulux Trade Undercoat. The coverage is good (though I've deliberately kept a
slight grained finish). We have some visitors staying this weekend and SWMBO
wants them finished off tomorrow! To minimise the smell I was thinking of
using Dulux Quick Drying Satinwood, which is a water based paint (I think).
Am I likely to have any problems putting a water based top coat onto an oil
based undercoat (which went on Tuesday, so it is dry)? Will I get away with
one coat (only have time for one coat tomorrow)?
Thanks for any advice.
David

Dulux have a help line, maybe worth giving them a call and asking.
However, I have just finished painting my landing using dulux primer,
undercoat (oil based) & then two top coats of B&Q ever white (water
based). Seemed to have worked just fine. Obviously I read the
instructions on the can about drying times and then ignored them and
applied the new coats of paint as soon as I could when the surface felt
dry to the touch. The job needed to be done and I didn't have the luxury
of time.