DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Snails and mortar (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/204762-snails-mortar.html)

Mogga June 25th 07 04:21 PM

Snails and mortar

My BF's mum pointed out some big gaps in the mortar on her porch and
claims the snails are eating it.

Do they?
And what's the cure?
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free

[email protected] June 25th 07 04:47 PM

Snails and mortar

On 25 Jun, 16:21, Mogga wrote:
My BF's mum pointed out some big gaps in the mortar on her porch and
claims the snails are eating it.

Do they?
And what's the cure?
--http://www.orderonlinepickupinstore.co.uk
Ah fetch it yourself if you can't wait for deliveryhttp://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free

Scatter some salt around the area.
Should keep the snails away.

Mark.

The Medway Handyman June 25th 07 04:58 PM

Snails and mortar

wrote:
On 25 Jun, 16:21, Mogga wrote:
My BF's mum pointed out some big gaps in the mortar on her porch and
claims the snails are eating it.

Do they?
And what's the cure?
--http://www.orderonlinepickupinstore.co.uk
Ah fetch it yourself if you can't wait for
deliveryhttp://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk Or get it delivered for free

Scatter some salt around the area.
Should keep the snails away.

It might season the concrete so they enjoy it more :-) Go on, add some
black pepper as well :-)

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Mogga June 25th 07 04:58 PM

Snails and mortar

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 08:47:16 -0700, wrote:

On 25 Jun, 16:21, Mogga wrote:
My BF's mum pointed out some big gaps in the mortar on her porch and
claims the snails are eating it.

Do they?
And what's the cure?
--http://www.orderonlinepickupinstore.co.uk
Ah fetch it yourself if you can't wait for deliveryhttp://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free

Scatter some salt around the area.
Should keep the snails away.

Mark.

In this weather it'll all wash well away - but I've already told her
this. :)

ARWadsworth June 25th 07 05:56 PM

Snails and mortar

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
On 25 Jun, 16:21, Mogga wrote:
My BF's mum pointed out some big gaps in the mortar on her porch and
claims the snails are eating it.

Do they?
And what's the cure?
--http://www.orderonlinepickupinstore.co.uk
Ah fetch it yourself if you can't wait for
deliveryhttp://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk Or get it delivered for free

Scatter some salt around the area.
Should keep the snails away.

It might season the concrete so they enjoy it more :-) Go on, add some
black pepper as well :-)

Anyone else had a snail infestation these last few months?

They have not eaten my mortar but are over the house walls (outside),
pathways and fences. Even on the van wheels in a morning. I wonder how far I
drive before they fall off?

Adam

Mogga June 25th 07 07:24 PM

Snails and mortar

On 25 Jun, 16:21, Mogga wrote:
My BF's mum pointed out some big gaps in the mortar on her porch and
claims the snails are eating it.

Do they?
And what's the cure?
--http://www.orderonlinepickupinstore.co.uk
Ah fetch it yourself if you can't wait for
deliveryhttp://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk Or get it delivered for free

Scatter some salt around the area.
Should keep the snails away.

It might season the concrete so they enjoy it more :-) Go on, add some
black pepper as well :-)

Anyone else had a snail infestation these last few months?

They have not eaten my mortar but are over the house walls (outside),
pathways and fences. Even on the van wheels in a morning. I wonder how far I
drive before they fall off?

When I was a teenager I waited with a friend at the end of my driveway
for her dad to arrive. We wondered what the crunching underfoot was
and it turned out to be - as we saw in the car headlights when it
arrived - lots and lots of snails.

Andrew Gabriel June 25th 07 10:41 PM

Snails and mortar

In article ,
"ARWadsworth" writes:

Anyone else had a snail infestation these last few months?

There are always loads around my garden.

They have not eaten my mortar but are over the house walls (outside),
pathways and fences. Even on the van wheels in a morning. I wonder how far I
drive before they fall off?

One snail here has been doing 70MPH up and down the M3,
on my wing mirror. In this today's rain, it seems to
have decided to move off somewhere else.

--
Andrew Gabriel

clot June 26th 07 12:32 AM

Snails and mortar

wrote:
On 25 Jun, 16:21, Mogga wrote:
My BF's mum pointed out some big gaps in the mortar on her porch
and claims the snails are eating it.

Do they?
And what's the cure?
--http://www.orderonlinepickupinstore.co.uk
Ah fetch it yourself if you can't wait for
deliveryhttp://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk Or get it delivered for
free

Scatter some salt around the area.
Should keep the snails away.

It might season the concrete so they enjoy it more :-) Go on, add
some black pepper as well :-)

Anyone else had a snail infestation these last few months?

Yup! Provided Noah doesn't come by this evening with his ark, you will
find plenty more over the next few weeks. I'm guessing this will be a
bumper year for snails.

Peter Ashby June 27th 07 02:15 PM

Snails and mortar

Mogga wrote:

My BF's mum pointed out some big gaps in the mortar on her porch and
claims the snails are eating it.

Do they?

No,

And what's the cure?

Fill the gaps. the snails will be taking advantage of the gaps as
somewhere safe to rest, not causing them.

Peter
www.the-brights.net

mogga June 27th 07 03:08 PM

Snails and mortar

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 13:15:58 GMT, (Peter
Ashby) wrote:

Mogga wrote:

My BF's mum pointed out some big gaps in the mortar on her porch and
claims the snails are eating it.

Do they?

No,

And what's the cure?

Fill the gaps. the snails will be taking advantage of the gaps as
somewhere safe to rest, not causing them.

Peter

So what does cause them?
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk

Peter Ashby June 27th 07 06:33 PM

Snails and mortar

Ashby) wrote:

Mogga wrote:

My BF's mum pointed out some big gaps in the mortar on her porch and
claims the snails are eating it.

Do they?
No,

And what's the cure?
Fill the gaps. the snails will be taking advantage of the gaps as
somewhere safe to rest, not causing them.

Peter

So what does cause them?

weather

And time, movement as well.

Peter
www.the-brights.net

The Medway Handyman June 27th 07 10:32 PM

Snails and mortar

Ashby) wrote:

Mogga wrote:

My BF's mum pointed out some big gaps in the mortar on her porch and
claims the snails are eating it.

Do they?

No,

And what's the cure?

Fill the gaps. the snails will be taking advantage of the gaps as
somewhere safe to rest, not causing them.

Peter

So what does cause them?

Mummy & Daddy sanails :-)

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Peter Ashby June 27th 07 10:46 PM

Snails and mortar

Ashby) wrote:

Mogga wrote:

My BF's mum pointed out some big gaps in the mortar on her porch and
claims the snails are eating it.

Do they?

No,

And what's the cure?

Fill the gaps. the snails will be taking advantage of the gaps as
somewhere safe to rest, not causing them.

Peter

So what does cause them?

Mummy & Daddy sanails :-)

Nope, MummyDaddy & MummyDaddy snails, they are hermaphrodites you see.

Peter
www.the-brights.net

RobertL June 28th 07 03:28 PM

Snails and mortar

Ashby) wrote:

Mogga wrote:

My BF's mum pointed out some big gaps in the mortar on her porch and
claims the snails are eating it.

Do they?

No,

And what's the cure?

Fill the gaps. the snails will be taking advantage of the gaps as
somewhere safe to rest, not causing them.

Peter

So what does cause them?

Mummy & Daddy sanails :-)

Nope, MummyDaddy & MummyDaddy snails, they are hermaphrodites you see.

Peter

Can one mummydaddy snail make baby snails on its own? (he asked,
returning the topic to DIY)

ARWadsworth June 28th 07 06:18 PM

Snails and mortar

ups.com...

Ashby) wrote:

Mogga wrote:

My BF's mum pointed out some big gaps in the mortar on her porch
and
claims the snails are eating it.

Do they?

No,

And what's the cure?

Fill the gaps. the snails will be taking advantage of the gaps as
somewhere safe to rest, not causing them.

Peter

So what does cause them?

Mummy & Daddy sanails :-)

Nope, MummyDaddy & MummyDaddy snails, they are hermaphrodites you see.

Peter

Can one mummydaddy snail make baby snails on its own? (he asked,
returning the topic to DIY)

No

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/wildfact...iles/415.shtml

It would be interesting if someone asked you "to go **** yourself" and then
you got pregnant by doing so. The birth certificate would look interesting.

Adam

Mogga June 28th 07 10:20 PM

Snails and mortar

Ashby) wrote:

Mogga wrote:

My BF's mum pointed out some big gaps in the mortar on her porch and
claims the snails are eating it.

Do they?

No,

And what's the cure?

Fill the gaps. the snails will be taking advantage of the gaps as
somewhere safe to rest, not causing them.

Peter

Snails can also gnaw through limestone. They eat the little bits of
chalk in the rock, which they need for their shells (calcium).
http://www.somers.k12.ny.us/SIS/MAIN...estions.html#1

So if it was lime mortar? (does mortar have lime in it?)

Jo[_11_] October 24th 19 12:14 PM

Snails and mortar

replying to Mogga, Jo wrote:
Mortar has lime in it and that is calcium carbonate (CC).
Snails need CC for their shells.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ar-404488-.htm