Posted to uk.d-i-y
Geo Geo is offline

Default Replacement oak(?) slat for garden bench

Daughter has a couple of garden benches and one has a broken rotted seat slat.
Difficult (for me) to tell the wood under all the varnish but probably oak. Any
suggestions for (preferably local - Central Scotland) source for a replacement
piece of timber about 5 feet long, 70mm * 18mm?

Geo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Geo" wrote in message
Daughter has a couple of garden benches and one has a broken rotted seat
slat.
Difficult (for me) to tell the wood under all the varnish but probably
oak. Any
suggestions for (preferably local - Central Scotland) source for a
replacement
piece of timber about 5 feet long, 70mm * 18mm?

Geo

It isn't oak, it's a normal piece of wood stained. Any similar piece from
B&Q painted with a matching stain will do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Owain
writes
Geo wrote:
Daughter has a couple of garden benches and one has a broken rotted seat slat.
Difficult (for me) to tell the wood under all the varnish but probably oak. Any
suggestions for (preferably local - Central Scotland) source for a replacement
piece of timber about 5 feet long, 70mm * 18mm?

Dunno if they do oak, but Thornhill Sawmill / Timber merchants, off
Forth St, Stirling, round the back of the indoor bowling club?

Also:
East End Sawmills
367 Dalmarnock Road
Glasgow
G40 4TY
0141 551 8968
info AT eastendsawmills DOT co DOT uk

These guys are v helpful, definitely a trade outfit but are happy to help the
DIYer, don't know their hardwood stock but def worth a call. They'll
machine to any non stock size and IIRC you just pay the rate for the stock
timber used, no machining fee.

http://www.eastendsawmills.co.uk/ but it's only just coming out of the dark
ages and timber stock is not yet listed.

They're related to:

Lawsons Timber
Unit 3
Bankhead Crossway North
Sighthill Industrial Estate
Sighthill
Edinburgh
EH11 4BP
0131 442 1755
colin AT eastendsawmills DOT co DOT uk
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 14:09:40 GMT, Geo
wrote:

Daughter has a couple of garden benches and one has a broken rotted seat slat.

Think carefully about replacing the lot. If one is rotten, chances are
the others are too.

Difficult (for me) to tell the wood under all the varnish but probably oak.

It won't be oak. Nor is oak, in anything under 2" thick, a good choice
for outdoor work.

I'd go for a resinous softwood like larch and I'd select my board
carefully to find the most resinous. If I insisted on hardwood, then I'd
use chestnut as that's pretty rot-resistant. Oak isn't a good choice
here. Larch is also one of the cheapest timbers you'll find.

As a finish I'd use either Danish oil (Screwfix, cheap) or one of the
Organoil finishes (harder to find) as they're quite impressive for
outdoor woodwork. Then I'd leave the rest of the bottle on-site and
tell them to re-oil it annually.

Any suggestions for (preferably local - Central Scotland) source

You can probably find it locally grown.

Garden bench, repair or replace? T i m UK diy 7 July 10th 05 08:56 PM
Finish for garden bench Jack Fearnley Woodworking 5 April 25th 05 03:35 AM
GARDEN BENCH J T Woodworking 4 February 4th 05 11:07 PM
GARDEN BENCH - CALIFORNIA STYLE J T Woodworking 1 January 6th 05 12:16 AM