DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Strange Insurance Ruling (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/203188-strange-insurance-ruling.html)

TheScullster June 8th 07 04:11 PM

Strange Insurance Ruling

Hi all

Just an observation that may be of interest.
In the process of trying to renew house insurance.
Rang the current company - Barclays.
If I accept their valuation on re-build cost, in my case £181000, then they
will actually cover upto £500000 worth of costs.
If I ring them and tell them that I specifically want the re-build cost to
be £181000, then I will pay the same premium, but they will not extend the
cover should there be a shortfall.

WTF?

Phil

EricP June 8th 07 04:26 PM

Strange Insurance Ruling

On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 16:11:55 +0100, "TheScullster"
wrote:

Hi all

Just an observation that may be of interest.
In the process of trying to renew house insurance.
Rang the current company - Barclays.
If I accept their valuation on re-build cost, in my case £181000, then they
will actually cover upto £500000 worth of costs.
If I ring them and tell them that I specifically want the re-build cost to
be £181000, then I will pay the same premium, but they will not extend the
cover should there be a shortfall.

WTF?

Phil

Block policy verses individual one.

Dave P June 8th 07 07:10 PM

Strange Insurance Ruling

"TheScullster" wrote in message
Hi all

Just an observation that may be of interest.
In the process of trying to renew house insurance.
Rang the current company - Barclays.
If I accept their valuation on re-build cost, in my case £181000, then
they will actually cover upto £500000 worth of costs.
If I ring them and tell them that I specifically want the re-build cost to
be £181000, then I will pay the same premium, but they will not extend the
cover should there be a shortfall.

WTF?

Phil

If you have the number then phone and ask.

Peter Crosland June 8th 07 10:42 PM

Strange Insurance Ruling

TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

Just an observation that may be of interest.
In the process of trying to renew house insurance.
Rang the current company - Barclays.
If I accept their valuation on re-build cost, in my case £181000,
then they will actually cover upto £500000 worth of costs.
If I ring them and tell them that I specifically want the re-build
cost to be £181000, then I will pay the same premium, but they will
not extend the cover should there be a shortfall.

WTF?

Why do you want to reduce the sum insured to £181,000 when they are happy to
offer cover for up to £500,000? I can see no benefit to you whatsoever. It
is a standard principle of insurance that the sum insured is a cap beyond
which cover will not be paid for.

Peter Crosland

Alan June 9th 07 03:21 PM

Strange Insurance Ruling

In message , Peter
Crosland wrote

Why do you want to reduce the sum insured to £181,000 when they are happy to
offer cover for up to £500,000? I can see no benefit to you whatsoever. It
is a standard principle of insurance that the sum insured is a cap beyond
which cover will not be paid for.

I'm just looking around for new insurance after receiving a Tesco
renewal quote that's over £100 more than last year (approx 40% increase
on buildings and contents).

Quite a few insurance companies seem to be doing on-line offers for
rebuilding at a standard £1million - they don't want to know about the
actual rebuilding cost.

So far all the alternative quotes I've had are around £150 cheaper than
Tesco.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

fred June 9th 07 09:46 PM

Strange Insurance Ruling

In article , Alan
writes

I'm just looking around for new insurance after receiving a Tesco
renewal quote that's over £100 more than last year (approx 40% increase
on buildings and contents).

Quite a few insurance companies seem to be doing on-line offers for
rebuilding at a standard £1million - they don't want to know about the
actual rebuilding cost.

So far all the alternative quotes I've had are around £150 cheaper than
Tesco.

Care to share your top 5 that aren't bothered about rebuilding cost?
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla

Peter Ashby June 11th 07 04:53 PM

Strange Insurance Ruling

TheScullster wrote:

Hi all

Just an observation that may be of interest.
In the process of trying to renew house insurance.
Rang the current company - Barclays.
If I accept their valuation on re-build cost, in my case £181000, then they
will actually cover upto £500000 worth of costs.
If I ring them and tell them that I specifically want the re-build cost to
be £181000, then I will pay the same premium, but they will not extend the
cover should there be a shortfall.

WTF?

There are more potential costs than bricks, mortar, joists and manpower
etc. How about putting up you and yours for the duration? legal costs.
Extra hiddens like higher transport costs from temporary quarters etc,
etc. The 500k is to cover things like that and other unforseens. Hard to
cost unforseens you see.

Peter

www.the-brights.net