Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ever had that satisfied feeling with overkill ?

(following on from a comment in another thread).

Have you ever put up with something, maybe made numerous temporary
repairs, and then snapped and threw total overkill at the problem ?
And then stepped back and thought "Now break you ****er" ?

Here's a recent example : we have a bird feeder, which I hung off a
nail on our fence. It used to keep getting knocked/blown off, and I
tried bending the nail, and then changing it for a cup hook (which
didn't work as it was too close to the fence then).

Finally after a few weeks of this I snapped, and spend a few minutes
rummaging in the garage till I came across an old shelf bracket. I
screwed that to the fence (3 screws !) , made an "S" hook to hang the
feeder from, and it's stayed up since.

It's hard to define the smugness I felt when I stepped back and
thought : "NOW fall down - I dare you !".

I've had a similar feeling replacing compression joints with soldered
ones too ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro wrote:

It's hard to define the smugness I felt when I stepped back and
thought : "NOW fall down - I dare you !".

That's blown it, fence will fall over now.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Jun, 11:28, John Rumm wrote:
Jethro wrote:
It's hard to define the smugness I felt when I stepped back and
thought : "NOW fall down - I dare you !".

That's blown it, fence will fall over now.

LOL ! Reminds me of when I used to repair cars, and we'd have a
leaking wheel cylinder. We'd replace that, only to find the other side
leaked. Replaced that and found the master cylinder leaked. Of course
making one part of the system stronger just put more pressure
(literally) on the weaker (older parts). Which is why a good garage
should change things like that in matched pairs ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro"

Have you ever put up with something, maybe made numerous temporary
repairs, and then snapped and threw total overkill at the problem ?
And then stepped back and thought "Now break you ****er" ?

Not quite the same, but I am re-furbing a 1970s toilet, keeping the old
cistern and boxing it in.
Noticed that the cistern only "perches" on about 1-1/2" of support bracket
(it is ceramic cistern sitting on an angle bracket).
Despite the fact that it had functioned quite happily on this for 30 years,
I removed and cleaned up the old bracket, refixed it with big srews and
added 2 more brackets just for good measure.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 6, 11:41 am, Jethro wrote:
On 6 Jun, 11:28, John Rumm wrote:

Jethro wrote:
It's hard to define the smugness I felt when I stepped back and
thought : "NOW fall down - I dare you !".

That's blown it, fence will fall over now.

LOL ! Reminds me of when I used to repair cars, and we'd have a
leaking wheel cylinder. We'd replace that, only to find the other side
leaked. Replaced that and found the master cylinder leaked. Of course
making one part of the system stronger just put more pressure
(literally) on the weaker (older parts). Which is why a good garage
should change things like that in matched pairs ....

Then they just get accused of ripping you off for unnecessary work ;-)

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro wrote:
On 6 Jun, 11:28, John Rumm wrote:
Jethro wrote:
It's hard to define the smugness I felt when I stepped back and
thought : "NOW fall down - I dare you !".

That's blown it, fence will fall over now.

LOL ! Reminds me of when I used to repair cars, and we'd have a
leaking wheel cylinder. We'd replace that, only to find the other side
leaked. Replaced that and found the master cylinder leaked. Of course
making one part of the system stronger just put more pressure
(literally) on the weaker (older parts). Which is why a good garage
should change things like that in matched pairs ....

Towards the end of my car fixing career, we used to replace the lot.

All cylinders out, check for corrosion, reseal if possible otherwise new
units, new pipes..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Jun, 13:55, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Jethro wrote:
On 6 Jun, 11:28, John Rumm wrote:
Jethro wrote:
It's hard to define the smugness I felt when I stepped back and
thought : "NOW fall down - I dare you !".
That's blown it, fence will fall over now.

LOL ! Reminds me of when I used to repair cars, and we'd have a
leaking wheel cylinder. We'd replace that, only to find the other side
leaked. Replaced that and found the master cylinder leaked. Of course
making one part of the system stronger just put more pressure
(literally) on the weaker (older parts). Which is why a good garage
should change things like that in matched pairs ....

Towards the end of my car fixing career, we used to replace the lot.

All cylinders out, check for corrosion, reseal if possible otherwise new
units, new pipes..

I rarely had to replace metal pipes (shame, as we were one of the few
garages that had the flanging kit to make them ourselves).

I occasionally changed the rubber hoses, but never saw one leak.

Never had a caliper leak (seize yes).

Changed quite a few brake compensators (which had the same caveat as
the rear wheel cylinders).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 6 Jun 2007 10:26:01 UTC, Jethro wrote:

Have you ever put up with something, maybe made numerous temporary
repairs, and then snapped and threw total overkill at the problem ?
And then stepped back and thought "Now break you ****er" ?

I put up some no-very-big kitchen wall cabinets. With three inch
Rawlbolts.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 6 Jun 2007 10:26:01 UTC, Jethro wrote:

Have you ever put up with something, maybe made numerous temporary
repairs, and then snapped and threw total overkill at the problem ?
And then stepped back and thought "Now break you ****er" ?

I put up some no-very-big kitchen wall cabinets. With three inch
Rawlbolts.

I remember the plans/BCO called for 2.2m deep strip foundations at one
point. The digger ended up gouging down to over 3..we said 'sod it' and
tipped in more concrete.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 03:26:01 -0700, Jethro
mused:

[...]

I've just fitted a 48 way consumer unit to a 3 bedroom cottage in the
middle of nowhere.

There's loads of stuff in this house that's overkill, or just plain
daft, but it all works.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 03:26:01 -0700, Jethro wrote:

(following on from a comment in another thread).

Have you ever put up with something, maybe made numerous temporary
repairs, and then snapped and threw total overkill at the problem ? And
then stepped back and thought "Now break you ****er" ?

Here's a recent example : we have a bird feeder, which I hung off a nail
on our fence. It used to keep getting knocked/blown off, and I tried
bending the nail, and then changing it for a cup hook (which didn't work
as it was too close to the fence then).

Finally after a few weeks of this I snapped, and spend a few minutes
rummaging in the garage till I came across an old shelf bracket. I screwed
that to the fence (3 screws !) , made an "S" hook to hang the feeder from,
and it's stayed up since.

It's hard to define the smugness I felt when I stepped back and thought :
"NOW fall down - I dare you !".

===================================
I guess Al Capone would have said something similar:

"NOW get up - I dare you!"

Cic.
--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 20:45:42 +0100, Owain
mused:

Lurch wrote:
I've just fitted a 48 way consumer unit to a 3 bedroom cottage in the
middle of nowhere.

Making it now a 2 bedroom cottage with wiring cupboard?

Heh. I actually had to take a door of its hinges to fit the board in.
The back door is currently leant up against the wall in the kitchen
extension.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lurch wrote:
I've just fitted a 48 way consumer unit to a 3 bedroom cottage in

the
middle of nowhere.

Making it now a 2 bedroom cottage with wiring cupboard?

Heh. I actually had to take a door of its hinges to fit the board

in.
The back door is currently leant up against the wall in the kitchen
extension.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Yikes, who sells 48 way consumer units? I'd have thought splitting the
load between several would be a good plan. My current house has 5
consumer units, namely 'Ground Floor', 'First Floor', 'Top Floor',
'Holiday' and 'Workshops'. Most are self explanitory but the Holiday
box powers the fridges, freezers, PABX telehone exchange, energy
monitoring computer, Alarm, security lights, doorbell etc So if on
holiday all is powered down except that one. Makes working on things
very easy.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 6 Jun 2007 23:21:07 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"
mused:

.. .

Lurch wrote:
I've just fitted a 48 way consumer unit to a 3 bedroom cottage in

the
middle of nowhere.

Making it now a 2 bedroom cottage with wiring cupboard?

Heh. I actually had to take a door of its hinges to fit the board

in.
The back door is currently leant up against the wall in the kitchen
extension.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Yikes, who sells 48 way consumer units? I'd have thought splitting the
load between several would be a good plan.

No need, if it can all go in one then it all goes in one. The load is
still limited to the 100A in the service fuse and the board is rated
at 250A so I think it should be safe enough.

It's actually a 3 phase board linked for single phase use, loads
easier than fitting 3 or 4 boards.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Cicero" wrote in message
news
[...]

In my experience one of three things will now happen - either the fence will
be blown down in the next gale (the added resistance of the bird feeder
being the tipping point), or you will decide that the bird feeder is in the
wrong place, or with highest probability, you will bash your head on the
shelf bracket that some twit screwed on in the garden. Its called Karma -
and you can't win!

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lurch" wrote in message

I've just fitted a 48 way consumer unit to a 3 bedroom cottage in the
middle of nowhere.

There's loads of stuff in this house that's overkill, or just plain
daft, but it all works.

Or would if there were a mains power supply ... :-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 7 Jun 2007 12:00:09 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
mused:

"Lurch" wrote in message
.. .

I've just fitted a 48 way consumer unit to a 3 bedroom cottage in the
middle of nowhere.

There's loads of stuff in this house that's overkill, or just plain
daft, but it all works.

Or would if there were a mains power supply ... :-)

Hence my huge UPS's.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Jun, 09:39, "Andy McKenzie" wrote:
"Cicero" wrote in message

news

[...]

already happened, although the feeder remained attached to the fence
*post*. It was the panel that gave way

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 6, 10:26 pm, Jethro wrote:

Have you ever put up with something, maybe made numerous temporary
repairs, and then snapped and threw total overkill at the problem ?
And then stepped back and thought "Now break you ****er" ?

Yes. The plumber installed the toilet pipes at the wrong angle, and
the rubber seals always leaked a tiny bit. I fixed it for ever with
four stainless Jubilee clips, like this:

http://i18.tinypic.com/4mhwz0n.jpg

Satisfied customer: Steve Wall Lumber Mark & Juanita Woodworking 22 January 5th 07 05:33 AM
Wiring overkill? jimbob Home Repair 16 October 3rd 06 09:40 PM
Wiring overkill? mgarvie Home Repair 24 April 2nd 06 12:36 AM
Just a good feeling Eric R Snow Metalworking 13 February 9th 06 03:27 AM
Straw Poll "Are you satisfied with hot water from a combi boiler" Dave Fawthrop UK diy 289 September 24th 05 11:17 PM