Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tap sticking

Hi All,

I have basin taps of a conventional column design looking a bit like
this:

The hot tap has started to stick - you open it up and most of the time
now a bit of water comes out but then nothing. Occasionally it does
work but that's a rarity now. At first I thought there was an airlock
somewhere, but this doesn't seem very feasible given the layout of the
pipework. The bath tap which is on the same leg of pipework works
fine.

I think that the tap mechanism is sticking. Should it be fairly easy
to dismantle the tap and fiddle around with it to get it going again?
What sort of fiddling around might be required?

Cheers!

Martin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

My mother-in-law had a similar problem the other week when we went to
visit her. She said that a friend of hers had taken a look and said
it needed a new washer. So I nip down to the local hardware store and
buy a few washers (different sizes as I didnt know what size hers
were). When I took it appart it was the small retaining clip that had
worked itself off. The clip is located under the shroud that covers
the tap body.

Alan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AlanC wrote:
My mother-in-law had a similar problem the other week when we went to
visit her. She said that a friend of hers had taken a look and said
it needed a new washer. So I nip down to the local hardware store and
buy a few washers (different sizes as I didnt know what size hers
were). When I took it appart it was the small retaining clip that had
worked itself off. The clip is located under the shroud that covers
the tap body.

I've come across exactly the same problem & solution several times.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

OK, thanks Alan and Dave, sounds like a straightforward job.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 12:59:24 -0700, Martin Pentreath
wrote:

OK, thanks Alan and Dave, sounds like a straightforward job.

Saying that's very often the kiss of death where taps are concerned...

:-)
--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

OK, thanks Alan and Dave, sounds like a straightforward job.

Saying that's very often the kiss of death where taps are concerned...

:-)

I've lost count of the 'straightforward' plumbing jobs that have taken hours
extra :-)

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

OK, thanks Alan and Dave, sounds like a straightforward job.

Saying that's very often the kiss of death where taps are concerned...

:-)

I've lost count of the 'straightforward' plumbing jobs that have taken
hours extra :-)

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

This problem makes a good case for a bit of routine "taking off the head and
applying a bit of lubrication"

John
(a bit obsessive about oiling things)