Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default hot dog demo

Table saw available in usa only, as far as I know.

http://www.sawstop.com/

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arthur 51" wrote in message
ups.com...
Table saw available in usa only, as far as I know.

http://www.sawstop.com/

Arthur

Brilliant! Now that's what I call an useful invention.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2007 11:17, Bob Mannix wrote:
"Arthur 51" wrote in message
http://www.sawstop.com/

Arthur

Brilliant! Now that's what I call an useful invention.

Surely it's easier to remove remove skin from a hot-dog by nicking it
with a stanley knife :-P

Actually I think that's done the rounds here a while back, but last time
it didn't show the internal workings, looks like it has some explosive
charge to drive the jammer into the teeth? Presumably not cheap to reset
after "use", but cheaper than microsurgery eh?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-05 10:18:44 +0100, Arthur 51 said:

Table saw available in usa only, as far as I know.

http://www.sawstop.com/

Arthur

Yes, I've seen this demonstrated in the U.S. It did work as shown
although wrecks part of the mechanism in the process.

Someone in the audience asked him whether he had complete confidence in
his product, and he replied that he did. He was invited to prove
this by using "a part of his anatomy" for the next demo. Without
missing a beat, the salesman replied that he had already been
circumcised.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arthur 51" wrote in message
http://www.sawstop.com/

Arthur

Brilliant! Now that's what I call an useful invention.

Surely it's easier to remove remove skin from a hot-dog by nicking it with
a stanley knife :-P

Actually I think that's done the rounds here a while back, but last time
it didn't show the internal workings, looks like it has some explosive
charge to drive the jammer into the teeth? Presumably not cheap to reset
after "use", but cheaper than microsurgery eh?

According to the one of the videos you just replace the blade and the
aluminium (sorry, aluminum as its a Merkin thing) jamming mechanism which is
a replaceable cartridge which takes about 5 minutes. The "exposive" doesn't
drive but releases the catch - the jammer is held back against a strong
spring in use. The angular momentum transfers to the blade arm assembly
instantly as well, so the whole thing has no choice but to swing down.

My worry from the employer's point of view is that, should one fail to
operate and a finger is lost, the employer would then be liable as the
safety device was expected to be there, rather than if it were not fitted.
Still 60,0000 table saw accidents a year is a lot of fingers!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arthur 51" wrote in message
http://www.sawstop.com/

Arthur

Brilliant! Now that's what I call an useful invention.

Surely it's easier to remove remove skin from a hot-dog by nicking it
with a stanley knife :-P

Actually I think that's done the rounds here a while back, but last time
it didn't show the internal workings, looks like it has some explosive
charge to drive the jammer into the teeth? Presumably not cheap to reset
after "use", but cheaper than microsurgery eh?

According to the FWW write up, about $80 for the cartridge.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Still 60,0000 table saw accidents a year is a lot of fingers!

Was that 60 thousand or 600 thousand?

Can you quote a source for that figure - both sound remarakably high?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AIUI SawStop are in the process of licensing their technology to other
tablesaw manufacturers.

They do seem to do things somewhat differently in the US, with
splitters instead of riving knives - and it does seem very common to
leave the crown guard off there.

In the UK (and I believe the rest of Europe) properly adjusted riving
knives and closely fitted crown guards are mandatory in the workplace
- along with a ban on dado sets and severe restrictions on deep sawing
- makes the chances of a finger/blade interaction very much lower.

It doesn't eliminate risks here - and if could buy sawstop built in or
have it retrofitted at a reasonable price, I'd buy it- but I'd be
interested to know the relative frequency and severity of tablesaw
accidents in the US compared to the UK.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-05 13:18:02 +0100, " said:

AIUI SawStop are in the process of licensing their technology to other
tablesaw manufacturers.

They do seem to do things somewhat differently in the US, with
splitters instead of riving knives - and it does seem very common to
leave the crown guard off there.

Don't believe everything that you see done in the woodworking shows on the TV.

In the UK (and I believe the rest of Europe) properly adjusted riving
knives and closely fitted crown guards are mandatory in the workplace
- along with a ban on dado sets and severe restrictions on deep sawing

The requirement is that the tooling can be stopped in under 10 seconds
and that it is properly guarded.

Many older machines are incapable of doing this.

- makes the chances of a finger/blade interaction very much lower.

It doesn't eliminate risks here - and if could buy sawstop built in or
have it retrofitted at a reasonable price, I'd buy it-

I wouldn't. This is not a substitute for proper guarding, just a last
ditch stand for when all else has failed.

but I'd be
interested to know the relative frequency and severity of tablesaw
accidents in the US compared to the UK.

Yes that would be interesting.

One other factor is that machines used in professional and workshop
situations in the U.S. tend to be fitted with more bells and whistles
such as motorised platforms, power feeders etc. partly on the argument
that hands then don't need to go near the business areas.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The sawstop site (text and videos) make the 60K claim. Most of
those
will probably be kickback accidents though rather than blade contact ones.

Hmmm - they've just belittled themselves in my eyes with misleading
marketing spin. Had they quoted "rotating sawblade contact injuries"
we would have a greater idea of teh value of their technology.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

They do seem to do things somewhat differently in the US, with
splitters instead of riving knives - and it does seem very common to
leave the crown guard off there.

Don't believe everything that you see done in the woodworking shows on the TV.

I'm basing it on this http://www.woodworking2.org/AccidentSurvey/search.htm
and on what've read on rec.woodworking - it would be rare to hear of
UK woodworkers disregarding crown guards, but I hear it over and over
again form US woodworkers.

In the UK (and I believe the rest of Europe) properly adjusted riving
knives and closely fitted crown guards are mandatory in the workplace
- along with a ban on dado sets and severe restrictions on deep sawing

The requirement is that the tooling can be stopped in under 10 seconds
and that it is properly guarded.

Many older machines are incapable of doing this.

Yep, my apologies - what I said is only code of practice:
http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/wis16.pdf

AIUI older machines that can't meet the guarding and 10 second rule
(in the workplace) have to be modified or replaced as various aspects
of the legislation cuts in (can't quite remember where we're up to -
not sure if the 10 second rule applies to all machines yet)

It doesn't eliminate risks here - and if could buy sawstop built in or
have it retrofitted at a reasonable price, I'd buy it-

I wouldn't. This is not a substitute for proper guarding, just a last
ditch stand for when all else has failed.

Absolutely. Safety is about safe working practices (aka accident
avoidance/primary safety). And last ditch (aka secondary safety/
minimising the consequences of an accident) features when the day
comes I or someone else makes a very bad mistake - so I have no
objections to hardhats, RCD's and airbags in cars either.

I wonder if sawstop technology could be adapted for spindle moulders -
as they have an even more fearsome reputation for stealing fingers
(even with the new limited tooling)?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-05 16:56:56 +0100, " said:

I wonder if sawstop technology could be adapted for spindle moulders -
as they have an even more fearsome reputation for stealing fingers
(even with the new limited tooling)?

In principle I don't see why not, although the range of tooling and
weight involved is rather broader than for a saw normally, so it may be
harder to implement.