DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Dado rails (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/202578-dado-rails.html)

lenusa June 2nd 07 10:24 PM

Dado rails

Hello, I am going to decorate my hall with modern pink colours and
divide them with
dado rail, but my neighbour told me that it is old-fashioned.
What do you think about it? Old-fashioned, good, bad?

Andrew Mawson June 2nd 07 10:36 PM

Dado rails

"lenusa" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello, I am going to decorate my hall with modern pink colours and
divide them with
dado rail, but my neighbour told me that it is old-fashioned.
What do you think about it? Old-fashioned, good, bad?

Dado rails are very practical for rooms with higher ceilings, and for
hallways, as they make those long lengths of paper manageably shorter
!

It entirely depends on the style of house. For a Victorian or
Edwardian house they are fine, but for a 2000's loft apartment in
Docklands they may look a tad silly !

AWEM

Newshound June 2nd 07 10:48 PM

Dado rails

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message

"lenusa" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello, I am going to decorate my hall with modern pink colours and
divide them with
dado rail, but my neighbour told me that it is old-fashioned.
What do you think about it? Old-fashioned, good, bad?

Dado rails are very practical for rooms with higher ceilings, and for
hallways, as they make those long lengths of paper manageably shorter
!

It entirely depends on the style of house. For a Victorian or
Edwardian house they are fine, but for a 2000's loft apartment in
Docklands they may look a tad silly !

AWEM

I agree with Andrew, but I have to pass on the memorable comment from my
(then) four year old boy to the lady houseowner on going into their house
and finding a new pink carpet.

Oh, you've got a pink carpet. (Pause). I like pink. (Longer pause). A bit
girly, though.

Brian G June 2nd 07 10:51 PM

Dado rails

lenusa wrote:
Hello, I am going to decorate my hall with modern pink colours and
divide them with
dado rail, but my neighbour told me that it is old-fashioned.
What do you think about it? Old-fashioned, good, bad?

lenusa,

I would have thought that the real question is "what does lenusa think"?

If you like them, fit and decorate them to your taste - not anyone else's,
after all it's your hall and you live there!

Brian G

Harry Bloomfield June 2nd 07 11:05 PM

Dado rails

lenusa wrote on 02/06/2007 :
Hello, I am going to decorate my hall with modern pink colours and
divide them with
dado rail, but my neighbour told me that it is old-fashioned.
What do you think about it? Old-fashioned, good, bad?

Does following fashion really matter that much?

Fit them if you like them - they'll be back in fashion in ten years
anyway. They also make wall papering much easier due to the shorter
lengths needed and offer some protection too.

If you decide to go ahead with it, get yourself one of those self
levelling lasers on a stand - around £20. they make the job very much
easier. Fix it with temporary pins and No More Nails type stuff.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

lenusa June 2nd 07 11:23 PM

Dado rails

On Jun 2, 10:51 pm, "Brian G" wrote:
lenusa wrote:
Hello, I am going to decorate my hall with modern pink colours and
divide them with
dado rail, but my neighbour told me that it is old-fashioned.
What do you think about it? Old-fashioned, good, bad?

lenusa,

I would have thought that the real question is "what does lenusa think"?

If you like them, fit and decorate them to your taste - not anyone else's,
after all it's your hall and you live there!

Brian G

Yes, but we are going to sell house in some years, therefore I asked.

Tim S June 3rd 07 09:52 AM

Dado rails

Andrew Mawson wrote:

"lenusa" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello, I am going to decorate my hall with modern pink colours and
divide them with
dado rail, but my neighbour told me that it is old-fashioned.
What do you think about it? Old-fashioned, good, bad?

Dado rails are very practical for rooms with higher ceilings, and for
hallways, as they make those long lengths of paper manageably shorter
!

And what ever happend to picture rails?

Apart from not bang hooks in everywhere a picture needs to be hung, they are
most useful for pinning the christmas or kiddies' party decorations to.

Cheers

Tim