Posted to uk.d-i-y
cj cj is offline

Default Ideal Concord WRS boiler not firing

Hi all,

I have an Idea Concord WRS boiler (230A).

Last week I removed a radiator for decorating and on the same day paid
a guy (corgu regerstered) to come round and remove the feed to an old
gas fire. He obvioulsy turned the gas supply off which would have
killed the supply to the boiler as well.

After he has gone I realised that I would need to re-light the
boiler. After quite a few attempts I finanally manged to light the
pilot light. However the boiler will now not fire. The thermostat is
turned up high, hot water and heating turned on and rotary knob on
boiler is set to 6. All you can hear is a very quiet sound like a
pump (maybe). The pilot light stays on but boiler just won't fire.

Any ideas? Maybe by turning off the gas supply without first turning
off the boiler has activated some sort of safety shut off valve? I'm
in the dark because I don't have any instructions for it. I would
really apreciate some help because I don't want to pay for a plumber
unless I really have to. I even put the radiator back on to make sure
this wasn't the problem but obviously this made no difference.

Cheers,

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Geo Geo is offline

On 28 May 2007 04:43:42 -0700, cj wrote:

Any ideas? Maybe by turning off the gas supply without first turning
off the boiler has activated some sort of safety shut off valve? I'm
in the dark because I don't have any instructions for it.

Thought the experts would have been here by now but perhaps there's something
good on tele. So meanwhile...

The instructions don't tell you much anyway.
The boiler has no fancy cut-outs so it must be a pretty basic fault.
It has a standard thermocouple just above the pilot light - this might need
replacing but I would not have expected its expiry to coincide with removal of
the gas supply. Otherwise there is the gas valve whose coil can go open circuit
but again nothing to do with your maintenance.
On my WRS240A the mains supply is an IEC connector plugging in to the left of
the temperature dial. You could pull this out and check for a supply present
when your timer/thermostat etc is calling for heat.

Geo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"cj" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi all,

I have an Idea Concord WRS boiler (230A).

After he has gone I realised that I would need to re-light the
boiler. After quite a few attempts I finanally manged to light the
pilot light. However the boiler will now not fire. The thermostat is
turned up high, hot water and heating turned on and rotary knob on
boiler is set to 6. All you can hear is a very quiet sound like a
pump (maybe). The pilot light stays on but boiler just won't fire.

Any ideas?

My Concord is the 255, possibly similar.
As you had trouble lighting the pilot, could it be that you need to turn the
pilot up to have enough heat for the pilot failure device to function.
I adjust the pilot by means of a sunken grub screw at the bottom of the
igniter panel.
OTH, when I had my boiler moved some years ago it failed after the
reinstallation, although it had worked perfectly before, this required a new
part.
Seems these things fail when they've been turned off for whatever reason.
Like a light bulb they fail as you turn them on.
Don't think you can blame the plumber for this.

Fred

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 May 2007 18:41:20 GMT Geo wrote :
The boiler has no fancy cut-outs so it must be a pretty basic fault.
It has a standard thermocouple just above the pilot light - this
might need replacing but I would not have expected its expiry to
coincide with removal of the gas supply.

It must be OK (perhaps starting to show signs of age) as the OP said
that once he'd got the pilot to light it stays alight. Otherwise if
it's the same model as I once had, there's just a thermostat and gas
valve.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Geo Geo is offline

On Mon, 28 May 2007 23:42:36 GMT, Tony Bryer wrote:

On Mon, 28 May 2007 18:41:20 GMT Geo wrote :
The boiler has no fancy cut-outs so it must be a pretty basic fault.
It has a standard thermocouple just above the pilot light - this
might need replacing but I would not have expected its expiry to
coincide with removal of the gas supply.

It must be OK (perhaps starting to show signs of age) as the OP said
that once he'd got the pilot to light it stays alight. Otherwise if
it's the same model as I once had, there's just a thermostat and gas
valve.

Duh! - You're right of course - too late at night for me...

Geo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 May 2007 04:43:42 -0700, cj wrote:

[...]

On some older gas valves there are distinct position for pilot lighting
and for running (when the pilot has been lit). You may need to turn the
valve from the "pilot" position to the "on" setting. Slightly less older
boilers often have pilot valves without this 'feature'.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
cj cj is offline

On 30 May, 21:28, Ed Sirett wrote:
[...]

The FAQ for uk.diy is athttp://www.diyfaq.org.uk
Sealed CH FAQhttp://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/SealedCH.html
Choosing a Boiler FAQhttp://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/BoilerChoice.html
Gas Fitting Standards Docs hehttp://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/GasFittingStandards- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for all your replies. I had to get a plumber out in the end
and it needed a new Gas valve. Total cost 90quid. I think I'm gona
have to get a new boiler at some point soon, this one can't be very
economical! Anyway at least at the moment I can relax in a nice warm
bath!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Geo Geo is offline

On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 12:25:53 -0700, cj wrote:

Thanks for all your replies. I had to get a plumber out in the end
and it needed a new Gas valve. Total cost 90quid. I think I'm gona
have to get a new boiler at some point soon, this one can't be very
economical!

Nah - it will probably still work in 20 years...

Geo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 13:58:47 +0000, Geo wrote:

On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 12:25:53 -0700, cj wrote:

Thanks for all your replies. I had to get a plumber out in the end
and it needed a new Gas valve. Total cost 90quid. I think I'm gona
have to get a new boiler at some point soon, this one can't be very
economical!

Nah - it will probably still work in 20 years...

Indeed so! burning many times it's cost in wasted energy going straight
out/up the flue.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Geo, Plumberplumb wrote:
€śThought the experts would have been here by now but perhaps there's
something good on tele.€ť
You do know plumbers dont just sit on their arses all day at home until a
phone call comes through. There are other jobs to be done and more important
ones at that. Youre not the number 1 priority so get over yourself

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ng-397537-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 21 Nov 2017 16:44:02 GMT
Plumberplumb m
wrote:

replying to Geo, Plumberplumb wrote:
€śThought the experts would have been here by now but perhaps there's
something good on tele.€ť
You do know plumbers dont just sit on their arses all day at home
until a phone call comes through. There are other jobs to be done and
more important ones at that. Youre not the number 1 priority so get
over yourself

Of course if you'd responded ten years ago you wouldn't look as foolish
as you do now.