DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   FM Aerial installation Q's (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/2019-fm-aerial-installation-qs.html)

dave @ stejonda September 20th 03 06:39 AM

FM Aerial installation Q's

In message , Andy Hall
writes
Having really rather good sound quality at night is lovely. It can interfere
with sex life however...

Even Ravel's Bolero??

tooooo much information!!!

you too huh?

:)

--
dave @ stejonda

to reply by email send to 2003reply at stejonda freeuk com

tony sayer September 20th 03 10:38 AM

FM Aerial installation Q's

In article , PJ
writes
On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 21:48:58 +0100, tony sayer wrote
(in message ):

Cable very simple, CT100 the satellite stuff excellent and far better
than the usual low loss string as sold in the sheds use this for
anything..

Thank you for your informative reply. I'm sure I'll have more questions but
for now just this.

At my local Maplins they have Satellite TV Cable FT100 in 100m roll at 24.99
pounds sterling. Is this the same as CT100?

Also, they have Satellite Cable FT125 in 100m roll at 59.99 pounds sterling.
Any idea what that is?

That seems from the description on the Maplin site to be much the same
thing and the price is about what I'd expect, though it can be got
cheaper then that if you can find an aerial wholesaler. Could also try
www.cpc.co.uk.
--
Tony Sayer

PJ September 20th 03 10:48 AM

FM Aerial installation Q's

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 0:43:24 +0100, Andy Hall wrote
(in message ):

So do you think this is a fairly good product? I'm looking for a
good quality bedside radio and also really only listen to classical
content.

I am slightly concerned that there are no technical specs given,
although a lot that are published are, admittedly, somewhat
meaningless.

Yes, I am very pleased with the Tivoli clock radio. In fact I bought it at
the end of a surprisingly long search when which started a few months ago
when I came to the realisation that I really like good quality sound at night
before going to sleep.

I had been using a Roberts R9939 for ages, which is fine for the money but
really limited in terms of reproducing music with any real detail.

The Tivoli clock radio has a stereo tuner and on the back is quite a range of
outputs all from 1/8 stereo jacks. There is a mono output for a subwoofer, so
you could run a comprehensive sound system from it!

I do use the stereo headphones socket occasionally on it, if there is
something really good on the radio, but I find the single speaker on top of
the unit to be quite excellent. Having the speaker on top gives an
omnidirectional output which suits bedside listening very well.

The Tivoli does not sound particularly good when absolutely brand new, it
takes a few days to "run in" but over that period the sound quality continues
to improve in leaps and bounds. I find sometimes at night the quality can be
so good it sort of takes me by surprise. For chamber music it can be really
amazing capturing nuances etc. extremely vividly.

For some time I had been considering getting a second-hand mini system on
ebay, before the Tivoli clock radio was introduced just in the last couple of
weeks. The problem though with the mini system idea for me is that even a
mini-system is a complicated thing to have in the bedroom IMHO, and I don't
know where I'd put the speakers. Also the mini systems I've heard tend to be
fine for rock/pop, but for classical the Tivoli is hugely superior I think.

Other things I looked at were the Pure radios and the Bose Acoustiwave. The
Bose is lovely to look at but far too expensive, and I can't see the point in
stereo by the bedside. I prefer the upward facing omnidirectional Tivoli. The
Bose might be very good in a small office situation or something. The Pure
radios didn't offer me very much because I don't feel any desire for the DAB
stations.

--
Patrick

PJ September 20th 03 10:52 AM

FM Aerial installation Q's

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 0:30:56 +0100, Andy Hall wrote
(in message ):

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 23:50:19 +0100, PJ wrote:

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 21:48:58 +0100, tony sayer wrote
(in message ):

Cable very simple, CT100 the satellite stuff excellent and far better
than the usual low loss string as sold in the sheds use this for
anything..

Thank you for your informative reply. I'm sure I'll have more questions
but for now just this.

At my local Maplins they have Satellite TV Cable FT100 in 100m roll at
24.99 pounds sterling. Is this the same as CT100?

It might or might not be. CT100 has a defined construction and RF
specification.

Thank you for this. I will look at the CPC and RS cables you mention. I've
had a chat with Ron Smith (of Ron Smith aerials) and as it happens he has
said exactly the same as you.

--
Patrick

Andy Hall September 20th 03 10:55 AM

FM Aerial installation Q's

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 10:06:25 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 23:42:22 +0100, PJ wrote:
-()

My clock radio is surprisingly good actually :)

If you go he

http://www.tivoliaudio.com/locales/gb/

and then click on the "Model 3" button on the left.

I've had it for a couple of days now and I'm becoming rather evangelical
about it:)

I think it suits classical much better than rock/pop, but I listen to Radio 3
all the time so it suits me fine. There are still some classical shows on
Radio 3.

So do you think this is a fairly good product? I'm looking for a
good quality bedside radio and also really only listen to classical
content.

I am slightly concerned that there are no technical specs given,
although a lot that are published are, admittedly, somewhat
meaningless.

Actually I have a little sony micro 'hifi' system, which isn't *too*
bad. If coupled to decent speakers it would be even better.

Hmm. OK. Which one? Does it have timer functions?
That could be a good solution.

I have a Linn Classik which I use in the kitchen and conservatory. I
wouldn't use it as a main hi-fi system, but the tuner and CD player
are good and the packaging fits the application.

Its permently tuned to Radio 4 tho.

Actually that's my other great love, as I think about it, although
generally I listen to it in the car.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

[email protected] September 20th 03 11:25 AM

FM Aerial installation Q's

In uk.d-i-y, Andy Hall wrote:

Even Ravel's Bolero??

as memorably explicated by the (then) young Mr Danny Thompson acting as
disreputable company to the guitar-genius and soak whose stage name is
John Martyn on the "Live at Leeds" album ;-)

ob.d-i-y: well, it's a genuine *live* album, so they were "doing it themselves"
(echoplex notwithstanding) rather'n all post-produced...

Stefek

The Natural Philosopher September 21st 03 10:29 AM

FM Aerial installation Q's

wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

[...]

Umm. (rushes into bedroom to look)
Sony EMT-CP303.

halfway decent speakers, clock alarm radio, CD player and cassette tape
built on, and about 70-90 squids - probably oboslete now, but there is
generally a clock/radio chepo sony 'hifi' in Dixons of one sort or anoher.

Advantge to this one is it sits across the room., but has a remote. So
you can hit the button at weekends roll over and go back to sleep

Disadvantage is it loses the settings on a power cut. And the FM tuner
is noisy, even with a big signal.

tony sayer September 22nd 03 12:15 PM

FM Aerial installation Q's

In article MPG.19d8d954a50bb76f989cab@localhost, Colin Blackburn
writes
In article , says...

If you can see the Pike from your window then don't bother with an amp a
splitter will do with those sort of levels around. Don't bother with a
masthead type amp as it will overload and cause more grief than what its
worth!..

Cheers.

Okay, now I've decided to wire all four rooms from a splitter I have
some supplementary questions.

If I use CT100 do I need to use connectors specific to CT100? Is it
better to use F-type connectors rather than coax?

If you can use F type then do so IMHO there a better connector..

Since I am doing the work I am minded to stick in cabling and sockets
for FM radio at the same time. Is it better to have two independent sets
of wiring or to merge+split at the aerial/sockets?

Colin

Independent connections are best but really there sod all difference
unless your signals are really weak..
--
Tony Sayer

PJ September 23rd 03 01:54 AM

FM Aerial installation Q's

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 11:03:35 +0100, Colin Blackburn wrote
(in message MPG.19d8d954a50bb76f989cab@localhost):

If I use CT100 do I need to use connectors specific to CT100? Is it
better to use F-type connectors rather than coax?

I was going to ask that :(

I had a look at some CT100 today and it looked like it would take the "usual"
type of connector okay, but I defer to Tony Sayer's reply. I'm going to use F
type connectors throughout myself except where I have to use the "usual" type
such as my tuner. The F type connector seems a lot more secure to me.

--
Patrick

Andy Hall September 23rd 03 02:34 AM

FM Aerial installation Q's

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 1:54:20 +0100, PJ wrote:

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 11:03:35 +0100, Colin Blackburn wrote
(in message MPG.19d8d954a50bb76f989cab@localhost):

If I use CT100 do I need to use connectors specific to CT100? Is it
better to use F-type connectors rather than coax?

I was going to ask that :(

I had a look at some CT100 today and it looked like it would take the "usual"
type of connector okay, but I defer to Tony Sayer's reply. I'm going to use F
type connectors throughout myself except where I have to use the "usual" type
such as my tuner. The F type connector seems a lot more secure to me.

If you have a lot of them to do, it's worth buying the crimping tool -
you can get better results with the connectors and they are cheaper as
well.

Andy Wade September 23rd 03 08:59 AM

FM Aerial installation Q's

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

It might or might not be. CT100 has a defined construction and RF
specification. Various other cables purport to be the same and may
or may not be. Some of the cheap ones sold as satellite cable may
have inferior screening or mechanical construction or may have worse
than spec. losses at high frequencies.

Caveat emptor: in the early days of their digital service $ky had a lot of
problems caused by inferior cables so they initiated an in-house testing &
approval scheme. The rest of the antenna installation / signal distribution
industry wanted to jump on the bandwagon, so administration of the 'cable
benchmarking' scheme, as it's called, has since been taken over by the CAI.

Cables are tested to BS EN 50117-2 and the manufacturers or importers of
those that pass are awarded a certificate and approval no. - the latter
being marked on the cable.

Whether this particular cable is OK is hard to know.

Ask them whether it's CAI benchmarked cable (and the certificate number).
If the answer is "no" then "barge pole" applies.

To be able to tell that,you would need to know the losses at various
frequencies

There's a lot more to it than that: e.g. return loss (impedance accuracy),
screening factor, ability to withstand a bending test without deterioration,
et., etc.

FWIW my personal preference is for the foam dielectric cables, since they
handle better then, and don't 'conduct water' like the cellular air-spaced
products. Webro 'WF100' is good.

--
Andy