Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default WC removal and refit

I am about to relay a bathroom floor after having a new suite fitted. I will
be using Cushionflor over exterior ply.

I was able to slide the ply under the WC - (I had to cut to allow for the
bracket of the floor) however, I will not be able to slide the cushionflor
under the WC so I intend removing it to do the task. This will give a neater
job and give me more room to work.

Question: When re-fitting, what is the best way of dealing with the screws
that anchor the cistern to the wall. I am concerned that having the WC
screwed to the floor via its bracket - and the cistern attached to the WC by
its wing nuts (Lecico make) - then the cistern screwed to the wall will
create a potential for something breaking if the wooden floor moves a
little. I was thinking of not screwing the cistern back to the wall and
injecting some Foam Fill behind it to give some support.

Any views?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-05-07 10:21:15 +0100, "John" said:

[...]

If you fix the cistern to the wall using the special plastic fittings
that you can get in B&Q etc. then you won't have a problem. The
cistern will be free enough to move.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

If you fix the cistern to the wall using the special plastic fittings
that you can get in B&Q etc. then you won't have a problem. The cistern
will be free enough to move.

The last cistern I fitted (close coupled type) had no fixing holes at
all. The result was a bit wobbly. In the end I siliconed the cistern to
the wall. This firmed up the whole assembly no end, but still allowed a
little movement of the cistern should it be required. Nothing has broken
so far!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Andy Hall wrote:

If you fix the cistern to the wall using the special plastic fittings
that you can get in B&Q etc. then you won't have a problem. The cistern
will be free enough to move.

The last cistern I fitted (close coupled type) had no fixing holes at all.
The result was a bit wobbly. In the end I siliconed the cistern to the
wall. This firmed up the whole assembly no end, but still allowed a little
movement of the cistern should it be required. Nothing has broken so far!

--
Cheers,

John.

Thanks - I ended up doing the job before I could read your replies.

I used tap washers each side of the cistern wall and then injected some
silicone down the gap as well. nothing tightened too much I hope. The WC is
attached to the floor using two bolts that screw into the side of a
flattened screw that has a suitable hole tapped through the side of it.

I am quite pleased with the neatness of the job. I have applied a thin bead
of silicone around where the WC meets the floor.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

The last cistern I fitted (close coupled type) had no fixing holes at
all. The result was a bit wobbly. In the end I siliconed the cistern to
the wall. This firmed up the whole assembly no end, but still allowed a
little movement of the cistern should it be required. Nothing has broken
so far!

I've done this on around half a dozen installations, and I think it's by
far the best way to go. The most common cause of cistern-bowl leaks is
having a fixed cistern and a toilet bowl which moves too much. Silicone
allows for enough movement while eliminating wobble.

--
Grunff
Diamagnetic Levitation:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grunff wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

The last cistern I fitted (close coupled type) had no fixing holes at
all. The result was a bit wobbly. In the end I siliconed the cistern
to the wall. This firmed up the whole assembly no end, but still
allowed a little movement of the cistern should it be required.
Nothing has broken so far!

I've done this on around half a dozen installations, and I think it's by
far the best way to go. The most common cause of cistern-bowl leaks is
having a fixed cistern and a toilet bowl which moves too much. Silicone
allows for enough movement while eliminating wobble.

Yup. Along with CAR BODY FILLER, silicone and expanding foam are three
of DIYs great inventions.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Yup. Along with CAR BODY FILLER, silicone and expanding foam are three
of DIYs great inventions.

Go write a bloody wiki entry for it, get it out of your system! ;-)

(I would have to agree on silicone mind!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-05-07, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Grunff wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

The last cistern I fitted (close coupled type) had no fixing holes at
all. The result was a bit wobbly. In the end I siliconed the cistern
to the wall. This firmed up the whole assembly no end, but still
allowed a little movement of the cistern should it be required.
Nothing has broken so far!

I've done this on around half a dozen installations, and I think it's by
far the best way to go. The most common cause of cistern-bowl leaks is
having a fixed cistern and a toilet bowl which moves too much. Silicone
allows for enough movement while eliminating wobble.

Yup. Along with CAR BODY FILLER, silicone and expanding foam are three
of DIYs great inventions.

And gaffer tape.

Cue Pythonesque " ... *four* of DIYs great inventions ... "

The cushions.......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-05-07, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Grunff wrote:

Yup. Along with CAR BODY FILLER, silicone and expanding foam are three
of DIYs great inventions.

And gaffer tape.

Building adhesives like Pink Grip etc. for number 5... even fixed shoes
with it.

Cue Pythonesque " ... *four* of DIYs great inventions ... "

:-)

Steve.