Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wooden frame for UPVC window.

A kindly client has given me a 6'x4' double-glazed upvc ( two separate
panes - one opening ) window for my workshop. As I'm rebuilding the
framework I intend to install this window straight into the frame -
but it occurred to me that wood tends to shift a bit with expansion.
Is this likely to be an issue, or will the frame have enough give in
it?
There are no fittings with the window - so I assume I'll have to screw
through its frame to secure the thing?

Cheers,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Stephen Howard wrote:
A kindly client has given me a 6'x4' double-glazed upvc ( two separate
panes - one opening ) window for my workshop. As I'm rebuilding the
framework I intend to install this window straight into the frame -
but it occurred to me that wood tends to shift a bit with expansion.
Is this likely to be an issue, or will the frame have enough give in
it?
There are no fittings with the window - so I assume I'll have to screw
through its frame to secure the thing?

Pack between the frame and window with small wedges at your fixing points
so you have an at least 5mm gap all round and don't tighten the screws so
as to distort the window. Then fill the gap with silicone sealer.

--
*If horrific means to make horrible, does terrific mean to make terrible?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Stephen Howard wrote:
A kindly client has given me a 6'x4' double-glazed upvc ( two separate
panes - one opening ) window for my workshop. As I'm rebuilding the
framework I intend to install this window straight into the frame -
but it occurred to me that wood tends to shift a bit with expansion.
Is this likely to be an issue, or will the frame have enough give in
it?
There are no fittings with the window - so I assume I'll have to screw
through its frame to secure the thing?

Pack between the frame and window with small wedges at your fixing points
so you have an at least 5mm gap all round and don't tighten the screws so
as to distort the window. Then fill the gap with silicone sealer.

Or use expanding foam, which holds the window securely once it's set.
You can then do the fixings without fear of the frame moving about
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Stuart Noble wrote:
Pack between the frame and window with small wedges at your fixing
points so you have an at least 5mm gap all round and don't tighten the
screws so as to distort the window. Then fill the gap with silicone
sealer.

Or use expanding foam, which holds the window securely once it's set.
You can then do the fixings without fear of the frame moving about

Absolutely - had a brain fart there.

--
*A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 03 May 2007 13:22:05 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Stuart Noble wrote:
Pack between the frame and window with small wedges at your fixing
points so you have an at least 5mm gap all round and don't tighten the
screws so as to distort the window. Then fill the gap with silicone
sealer.

Or use expanding foam, which holds the window securely once it's set.
You can then do the fixings without fear of the frame moving about

Absolutely - had a brain fart there.

No problem, I kind of assumed ( given the thickness of the window
frame ) that a combination of squirty foam and sealant would be in
order.
All I have to do is find some low expansion stuff...it doesn't seem to
be as common as the 'big gaps' foam.

One more related query - is it necessary to build an enclosing frame
for the window, or is it sufficient to fit the thing flush with the
building frame ( I'll bead the exterior to give the lapped panels
something to butt up against )?

Cheers,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk

fixing venetian blind to upvc window frame? Timbo UK diy 6 March 2nd 07 11:17 PM
upvc frame welds problem? [email protected] UK diy 7 April 28th 06 02:29 PM
sealant on uPVC frame bobd UK diy 4 January 10th 06 11:28 PM
Removing glass from UPVC window frame Shabs UK diy 5 July 13th 04 07:12 PM
Installing uPVC door and frame SW UK diy 1 January 9th 04 07:34 PM