DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Wicks Master Paint - any good? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/199566-wicks-master-paint-any-good.html)

tester May 2nd 07 06:33 PM

Wicks Master Paint - any good?

Hi,

It seems Wicks only sells it's own brand of paint - no dulax or such
in sight.

Is wicks master range of paint as good as they make out, or should I
go to homebase for the usual Dulux I was interested in the normal matt
white paint and one-coat gloss. I bought some.wicks 'non master' paint
in the past, many years ago, and found it very runny and rather dire.

EricP May 2nd 07 06:59 PM

Wicks Master Paint - any good?

On Wed, 02 May 2007 17:33:51 GMT, tester wrote:

Hi,

It seems Wicks only sells it's own brand of paint - no dulax or such
in sight.

Is wicks master range of paint as good as they make out, or should I
go to homebase for the usual Dulux I was interested in the normal matt
white paint and one-coat gloss. I bought some.wicks 'non master' paint
in the past, many years ago, and found it very runny and rather dire.

Like Dulux then.

Find your nearest Leyland stockist.

http://www.leyland-paints.co.uk/site...istLocator.asp

Dave May 2nd 07 11:18 PM

Wicks Master Paint - any good?

EricP wrote:

On Wed, 02 May 2007 17:33:51 GMT, tester wrote:

Hi,

It seems Wicks only sells it's own brand of paint - no dulax or such
in sight.

Is wicks master range of paint as good as they make out, or should I
go to homebase for the usual Dulux I was interested in the normal matt
white paint and one-coat gloss. I bought some.wicks 'non master' paint
in the past, many years ago, and found it very runny and rather dire.

Like Dulux then.

When I worked as site supervisor at school, all the pro's used to swear
by Dulux. Can anyone tell me why I shouldn't use in my house?

Dave

John Stumbles May 3rd 07 08:40 AM

Wicks Master Paint - any good?

On Wed, 02 May 2007 17:59:08 +0000, EricP wrote:

Is wicks master range of paint as good as they make out, or should I
go to homebase for the usual Dulux I was interested in the normal matt
white paint and one-coat gloss. I bought some.wicks 'non master' paint
in the past, many years ago, and found it very runny and rather dire.

Like Dulux then.

A few years ago we got some Johnstone's trade emulsion and it was watery
and didn't cover. Got Dulux trade and it was like mayonnaise,
brilliant cover.

John Rumm May 3rd 07 11:37 AM

Wicks Master Paint - any good?

John Stumbles wrote:

A few years ago we got some Johnstone's trade emulsion and it was watery
and didn't cover. Got Dulux trade and it was like mayonnaise,
brilliant cover.

Kalon certainly seem to make a range of trade emulsions in different
qualities - the poorest stuff is very thin (typically sold as unbranded
"trade emulsion") and can take many coats to cover. The best Layland
branded stuff seems on par with the dulux.

I helped a neighbour paint his kitchen recently, and he had bought some
own brand emulsion from Homebase. Very odd stuff - about a thick as
butter, it got a nice enough finish when applied with a roller, but
looked absolutely dreadful if applied with a brush (where any brush
marks just set permanently into the paint!)

--
Cheers,

John.