DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Double Glazing Help (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/198948-double-glazing-help.html)

SimonW April 25th 07 10:19 PM

Double Glazing Help

On the bottom hinge I have a small piece of plastic with a ridge on it,
that slides up and down the hinge. It seems all it does is to make the
window more easier/harder to close when the bottom of window frame meets
the plastic. i.e. The more I slide it away from the window handle the
easier it is for the window to close.

I was wondering what does it do, and what position should it be set to?

TIA

Lurch April 25th 07 10:53 PM

Double Glazing Help

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 21:19:58 +0100, SimonW
mused:

On the bottom hinge I have a small piece of plastic with a ridge on it,
that slides up and down the hinge. It seems all it does is to make the
window more easier/harder to close when the bottom of window frame meets
the plastic. i.e. The more I slide it away from the window handle the
easier it is for the window to close.

That makes no sense whatsoever.

A picture tells a thousand words.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

VisionSet April 25th 07 11:01 PM

Double Glazing Help

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 21:19:58 +0100, SimonW
mused:

On the bottom hinge I have a small piece of plastic with a ridge on it,
that slides up and down the hinge. It seems all it does is to make the
window more easier/harder to close when the bottom of window frame meets
the plastic. i.e. The more I slide it away from the window handle the
easier it is for the window to close.

That makes no sense whatsoever.

A picture tells a thousand words.

I understood completely, and am also intrigued.
I guess if you don't understand you haven't seen one and are therefore
unlikely to be able to help ;-)

--
Mike W

Bob Minchin April 25th 07 11:04 PM

Double Glazing Help

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 21:19:58 +0100, SimonW
mused:

On the bottom hinge I have a small piece of plastic with a ridge on it,
that slides up and down the hinge. It seems all it does is to make the
window more easier/harder to close when the bottom of window frame meets
the plastic. i.e. The more I slide it away from the window handle the
easier it is for the window to close.

That makes no sense whatsoever.

A picture tells a thousand words.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Well it may make no sense to Lurch but to me it is obvious. This is the
adjustable friction hinge so you can set the hinge such that the window
stays where you put it. The adjustment compensated for the weigth of the
window in a top hung light and for likely wind load for a side hung light.
Does this help?

Bob

SimonW April 25th 07 11:32 PM

Double Glazing Help

Bob Minchin wrote:

Well it may make no sense to Lurch but to me it is obvious. This is the
adjustable friction hinge so you can set the hinge such that the window
stays where you put it. The adjustment compensated for the weigth of the
window in a top hung light and for likely wind load for a side hung light.
Does this help?

Bob

I don't think I explained myself very well, sorry :(

This is a side hung window.

The plastic is not in the runners, it is literally wrapped around the
bottom friction hinge, if you look at it quickly you might mistake it
for a piece of insulation tape wrapped around the hinge. It only makes
the window more difficult/easy to close just before the frame is line
with the catches, because the bottom of the window frame meets this bit
of plastic and has to ramp over it. In fact the plastic does have a
little ramp either side.

Derek Geldard April 25th 07 11:52 PM

Double Glazing Help

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 22:32:11 +0100, SimonW
wrote:

Bob Minchin wrote:

Well it may make no sense to Lurch but to me it is obvious. This is the
adjustable friction hinge so you can set the hinge such that the window
stays where you put it. The adjustment compensated for the weigth of the
window in a top hung light and for likely wind load for a side hung light.
Does this help?

Bob

I don't think I explained myself very well, sorry :(

This is a side hung window.

Hinged at one side with a casement stay and a cockspur fastener ?

The plastic is not in the runners,

"Runners" ?

it is literally wrapped around the
bottom friction hinge,

"Friction Hinge" - wassat ?

if you look at it quickly you might mistake it
for a piece of insulation tape wrapped around the hinge. It only makes
the window more difficult/easy to close just before the frame is line
with the catches, because the bottom of the window frame meets this bit
of plastic and has to ramp over it. In fact the plastic does have a
little ramp either side.

I was with Bob, but after reading this I dunno.

It could just be a bodge by someone who thought the friction device
wasn't working well enough.

As the man said a picture is worth a thousand words.

DG

SimonW April 26th 07 12:16 AM

Double Glazing Help

Thanks all I have sussed it :)

On the bottom runner I have two safety catches, one that lifts which
makes the window open wider at the bottom to escape in an event of a
fire, and another that pushes that makes the window open "normal" and is
easier for cleaning on the outside of the window.

Just the window closes, the bottom of the frame pushes on this bit of
plastic so it pushes the bottom hinge down a little bit more, making
sure it clears and re-engages the safety catches.

Lurch April 26th 07 02:07 AM

Double Glazing Help

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 23:16:31 +0100, SimonW
mused:

Thanks all I have sussed it :)

On the bottom runner I have two safety catches, one that lifts which
makes the window open wider at the bottom to escape in an event of a
fire, and another that pushes that makes the window open "normal" and is
easier for cleaning on the outside of the window.

Just the window closes, the bottom of the frame pushes on this bit of
plastic so it pushes the bottom hinge down a little bit more, making
sure it clears and re-engages the safety catches.

Excellent.

Just to clarify though, I was right to be doubtful, for those that
doubted my doubdtfullness.
--
Regards,
Stuart.