Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Source for TIN can crushers (as well as drinks)

Hi all,

local council has inched into the 21st century and providing roadside
collection of cans. I've no problem rinsing them, but want to crush
them to save space.

Anyone recommend a wall mounted manual crusher which will do tins
(soup etc) as well as drinks cans. The ones I've turned up specify for
drinks cans only.

regards

Posted to uk.d-i-y
SJP SJP is offline

"Jethro" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

local council has inched into the 21st century and providing roadside
collection of cans. I've no problem rinsing them, but want to crush
them to save space.

Anyone recommend a wall mounted manual crusher which will do tins
(soup etc) as well as drinks cans. The ones I've turned up specify for
drinks cans only.

regards

http://www.homerecycling.co.uk/catal...product_id=116

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

local council has inched into the 21st century and providing roadside
collection of cans. I've no problem rinsing them, but want to crush
them to save space.

Anyone recommend a wall mounted manual crusher which will do tins
(soup etc) as well as drinks cans. The ones I've turned up specify for
drinks cans only.

Some 2x4 and a couple of bolts will do it.

I just stand on them but I have a safety opener that leaves /no/ sharp edges
that you can get at.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Apr 2007 06:31:07 -0700, Jethro wrote:

Anyone recommend a wall mounted manual crusher which will do tins

Cut the bottom off and flatten. Our tin opener cuts though the side not
the lid so a standard can flattens very easily. The rim left on the body
by a opener that cuts through the lid is not particulary strong.

A ring pull can just has the rim at the top, that is easy to fold.

Deep drawn tins are not so easy to do but it you squish from the open end
the base will come forward and can then be flattened against the now flat
body of the can.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

local council has inched into the 21st century and providing roadside
collection of cans. I've no problem rinsing them, but want to crush
them to save space.

Anyone recommend a wall mounted manual crusher which will do tins
(soup etc) as well as drinks cans. The ones I've turned up specify for
drinks cans only.

I've got a ten-ton power press going spare if you want to go the DIY route
:-)

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"SJP" wrote in message

"Jethro" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

local council has inched into the 21st century and providing roadside
collection of cans. I've no problem rinsing them, but want to crush
them to save space.

Anyone recommend a wall mounted manual crusher which will do tins
(soup etc) as well as drinks cans. The ones I've turned up specify for
drinks cans only.

regards

http://www.homerecycling.co.uk/catal...product_id=116

So is this a personal recommendation, or just the link? Looks like this is
the sort of thing many of us could knock up out of workshop scrap. I just
stand on them, like Dave L, but I have difficulty persuading the family to
do it!

I wonder if it would be possible to make a shredder or compactor which would
work for cans and plastic bottles.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , nightjar
writes

"Jethro" wrote in message
roups.com...
Hi all,

local council has inched into the 21st century and providing roadside
collection of cans. I've no problem rinsing them, but want to crush
them to save space.

Anyone recommend a wall mounted manual crusher which will do tins
(soup etc) as well as drinks cans. The ones I've turned up specify for
drinks cans only.

I've got a ten-ton power press going spare if you want to go the DIY route

Does it fit on a kitchen worktop ?

(I've left your smiley for you ...)

:-)

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 22:42:10 +0100, Newshound wrote:

I wonder if it would be possible to make a shredder or compactor which
would work for cans and plastic bottles.

A shredder for hard plastics would be good but I don't think it would go
down very well with the recyclers as they then can't easily sort the
different types of hard plastic. Simple to hoik out the PET drinks
bottles, the HDPE milk bottles etc. not so easy when they are a mass of
mixed bits...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"raden" wrote in message
In message , nightjar
writes

"Jethro" wrote in message
groups.com...
Hi all,

local council has inched into the 21st century and providing roadside
collection of cans. I've no problem rinsing them, but want to crush
them to save space.

Anyone recommend a wall mounted manual crusher which will do tins
(soup etc) as well as drinks cans. The ones I've turned up specify for
drinks cans only.

I've got a ten-ton power press going spare if you want to go the DIY route

Does it fit on a kitchen worktop ?

It would, if the worktop were strong enough:

http://www.worcesterpresses.co.uk/10ton.htm

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A shredder for hard plastics would be good but I don't think it would go
down very well with the recyclers as they then can't easily sort the
different types of hard plastic. Simple to hoik out the PET drinks
bottles, the HDPE milk bottles etc. not so easy when they are a mass of
mixed bits...

Good point Dave, I didn't realise they might be manually sorted. Perhaps
these days they can differentiate with a smart optical system (IR, UV?).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 11:55:57 +0100, Newshound wrote:

Good point Dave, I didn't realise they might be manually sorted. Perhaps
these days they can differentiate with a smart optical system (IR, UV?).

I guess there might be a IR/UV solution or prehaps a system using density?
Of course labour is cheap in China...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Tin [email protected] Metalworking 11 January 23rd 06 10:29 PM
source for Tin needed KJM Metalworking 3 August 27th 05 01:45 PM
How long can you store carbonated drinks? Jeff Wisnia Metalworking 39 June 7th 05 02:09 AM
Wood table, drinks rings mike. buckley UK diy 5 April 2nd 05 12:42 AM
Tin, where are you? That guy Metalworking 6 October 11th 03 05:42 PM