DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   tiling on a fresh floor (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/198278-tiling-fresh-floor.html)

patrido April 18th 07 09:24 AM

tiling on a fresh floor

How soon can tiles be laid on a new sand + cement screed? The screed
is 75mm with under floor heating and the adhesive is evostik technik
opf. We're under pressure to start within 3 weeks of installing the
screed - is this too soon? What is likely to happen if the screed is
not dry enough and the tilers commence regardless?

Thanks
Patrick

The Natural Philosopher April 18th 07 09:56 AM

tiling on a fresh floor

patrido wrote:
How soon can tiles be laid on a new sand + cement screed? The screed
is 75mm with under floor heating and the adhesive is evostik technik
opf. We're under pressure to start within 3 weeks of installing the
screed - is this too soon? What is likely to happen if the screed is
not dry enough and the tilers commence regardless?

Thanks
Patrick

No, that will be fine.

It is nice to let the screed dry completely after setting, as any cracks
will appear then (repair with PVA)but not essential.

DO coat the floor with dilute PVA though before laying otherwise you run
the risk of the tile cement (if a cement type) sucking dry too quickly
and not setting properly.

This will also reduce the dust.