DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Carpenter's pencil (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/197602-carpenters-pencil.html)

mike April 11th 07 08:15 AM

Carpenter's pencil

Went in to B&Q today and was given a nice "carpenter's pencil" - at
least this is what I think they are called.

Not circular cross-section but rectangular 15x5 - with rectangular
lead as well.

What is the original purpose/advantage of this design?

shaun April 11th 07 08:40 AM

Carpenter's pencil

mike wrote:
Went in to B&Q today and was given a nice "carpenter's pencil" - at
least this is what I think they are called.

Not circular cross-section but rectangular 15x5 - with rectangular
lead as well.

What is the original purpose/advantage of this design?

So when you put it down it doesn't roll away?

Brian Sharrock April 11th 07 08:56 AM

Carpenter's pencil

"mike" wrote in message
Went in to B&Q today and was given a nice "carpenter's pencil" - at
least this is what I think they are called.

Not circular cross-section but rectangular 15x5 - with rectangular
lead as well.

What is the original purpose/advantage of this design?

AAA - Doesn't roll away when put down
BBB - Can be sharpened with a chisel to produce a long 'line' with a narrow
'edge' for marking wood. {BTW; one can purchase 'carpenters'
pencil -sharpeners - rather a weird 'eccentric' action - but it produces a
nice result}

--

Brian

Tony Williams April 11th 07 09:06 AM

Carpenter's pencil

In article ,
mike wrote:
Went in to B&Q today and was given a nice "carpenter's pencil" -
at least this is what I think they are called.

Not circular cross-section but rectangular 15x5 - with
rectangular lead as well.

What is the original purpose/advantage of this design?

You sharpen it to a chisel edge, and this allows more
finer lines to be drawn be drawn before resharpening.

--
Tony Williams.

The Wanderer April 11th 07 09:19 AM

Carpenter's pencil

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 08:15:18 +0100, mike wrote:

Went in to B&Q today and was given a nice "carpenter's pencil" - at
least this is what I think they are called.

Not circular cross-section but rectangular 15x5 - with rectangular
lead as well.

What is the original purpose/advantage of this design?

Sharpened down to a flat 'chisel' edge, they give a fine line when marking
out. The chisel edge also seems to be reasonably long-lasting.

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net

The Natural Philosopher April 11th 07 11:24 AM

Carpenter's pencil

Tony Williams wrote:
In article ,
mike wrote:
Went in to B&Q today and was given a nice "carpenter's pencil" -
at least this is what I think they are called.

Not circular cross-section but rectangular 15x5 - with
rectangular lead as well.

What is the original purpose/advantage of this design?

You sharpen it to a chisel edge, and this allows more
finer lines to be drawn be drawn before resharpening.

Or on the edge of an angle grinder..;-)

Newshound April 11th 07 06:33 PM

Carpenter's pencil

Tony Williams wrote:
In article ,
mike wrote:
Went in to B&Q today and was given a nice "carpenter's pencil" -
at least this is what I think they are called.

Not circular cross-section but rectangular 15x5 - with
rectangular lead as well.

What is the original purpose/advantage of this design?

You sharpen it to a chisel edge, and this allows more
finer lines to be drawn be drawn before resharpening.

Or on the edge of an angle grinder..;-)

LOL! I use a bench-mounded belt sander. I'm really intrigued by the
"mechanical" sharpener though....

Dave Plowman (News) April 11th 07 07:04 PM

Carpenter's pencil

In article ,
Newshound wrote:
LOL! I use a bench-mounded belt sander. I'm really intrigued by the
"mechanical" sharpener though....

It's just like an ordinary pencil sharpener but has a rotating ring that
the pencil fits into. It produces a normal round point, though, so rather
wasteful compared to traditional methods - ie a good sharp chisel.

--
*Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

The Medway Handyman April 11th 07 08:30 PM

Carpenter's pencil

Brian Sharrock wrote:

AAA - Doesn't roll away when put down
BBB - Can be sharpened with a chisel to produce a long 'line' with a
narrow 'edge' for marking wood. {BTW; one can purchase 'carpenters'
pencil -sharpeners - rather a weird 'eccentric' action - but it
produces a nice result}

Also better IMO for marking sawn timber - thicker lead doesn't snap so
often.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Clive Mitchell April 11th 07 10:55 PM

Carpenter's pencil

In message , Newshound
writes
LOL! I use a bench-mounded belt sander. I'm really intrigued by the
"mechanical" sharpener though....

Maplin (Bleurgh!) are currently selling sets of carpenters pencils with
a rotary sharpener. It's like an ordinary sharpener but with a
rectangular guide that rotates. It seems to work unlike most of Maplins
stuff.

--
Clive Mitchell
http://www.bigclive.com

Dave Plowman (News) April 11th 07 11:22 PM

Carpenter's pencil

In article ,
Clive Mitchell wrote:
Maplin (Bleurgh!) are currently selling sets of carpenters pencils with
a rotary sharpener. It's like an ordinary sharpener but with a
rectangular guide that rotates. It seems to work unlike most of Maplins
stuff.

Yup. But twice the price of the identical article at my local Sunday
market.

I've not had a problem with Maplin selling rubbish though. They're just a
tad expensive.

--
*A closed mouth gathers no feet.