DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Hammerite paint stripper (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/1976-hammerite-paint-stripper.html)

Jonathan Ward September 16th 03 01:21 PM

Hammerite paint stripper

I'm looking for some sort of chemical to remove Hammerite from a metal window
frame, which is why I don't want to use a blow torch. Any ideas?

--
Jonathan Ward
Remove the 'X' when replying

robgraham September 16th 03 05:30 PM

Hammerite paint stripper

"Jonathan Ward" wrote in message
I'm looking for some sort of chemical to remove Hammerite from a metal

window
frame, which is why I don't want to use a blow torch. Any ideas?

I don't know whether Polycell paint stripper will get Hammerite off. It
probably will, but cellulose thinners certainly will.

Rob Graham

stuart noble September 17th 03 04:59 PM

Hammerite paint stripper

robgraham wrote in message ...

"Jonathan Ward" wrote in message
I'm looking for some sort of chemical to remove Hammerite from a metal

window
frame, which is why I don't want to use a blow torch. Any ideas?

I don't know whether Polycell paint stripper will get Hammerite off. It
probably will, but cellulose thinners certainly will.

Stripper takes pretty much anything off and the gel holds it in suspension
for a while. Thinners will solubilise it, but whether you have time to
remove it before they evaporate and the whole thing goes hard again is
another matter.

geoff September 17th 03 08:55 PM

Hammerite paint stripper

In message , Jonathan Ward
writes
I'm looking for some sort of chemical to remove Hammerite from a metal window
frame, which is why I don't want to use a blow torch. Any ideas?

Phone Hammerite and ask them - the number's on the side of their cans
--
geoff

Jonathan Ward September 18th 03 01:12 PM

Hammerite paint stripper

In article , says...

In message , Jonathan Ward
writes
I'm looking for some sort of chemical to remove Hammerite from a metal window
frame, which is why I don't want to use a blow torch. Any ideas?

Phone Hammerite and ask them - the number's on the side of their cans
--
geoff

Thanks I think I'll do that.
--